Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Post by vixenmaster »

Never can have enuff of Excals, Specially those Vixens! Once i get my latest Deal finished. I will be lookin fer the 2001/02 BLK Vixen wid machined straight Riser. Then i will be lookin fer an E'mag! So it looks like i will get 2 more :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Latest deal?? :mrgreen:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup i have a decent Vixen comin south from da Northland over the border. Another carved tip beauty that has all that natural killer instinct fer tick toters. Dang i love haven a group of Huntresses form a pack! :lol: Such lovely creatures wid those killin Curves! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Mike, if any of those Vixens ever give you a hard time, let me know. I'd be more than happy to take er off your hands. 8)

Hardly even got my first Excal broke in yet, and I'm already thinking about another. It's a damn disease I tell ya... :D
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

vixenmaster wrote:Yup i have a decent Vixen comin south from da Northland over the border. Another carved tip beauty that has all that natural killer instinct fer tick toters. Dang i love haven a group of Huntresses form a pack! :lol: Such lovely creatures wid those killin Curves! :)

Aw, sweet deal!
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

when i was 1st looking at xbows and had my mind on an excalibur, i came here to see what my mind was going to be made up on....i live in PA where they had a 200# draw limit on xbow's that were just starting to take hold here....

so that made my mind up on the exocet 200, after reading here bout the 225#ers being a monster to shoot for long range sestions made my mind up on the 200#er as well....i wanted the highest poundage xbow for performance and a exocet 200 founds it's new home :wink: ....i have a knack for picking the right things out for me by not knowing what to really look for :lol: ....

back in 1980 when i bought my 1st compound bow, i bought the brown bear by bear archery just cause i liked the all wood bow....laminated limbs and riser made it a good looking bow....later years down the road i found that bow fit me pretty darn great, now after a few years i know i picked the right excalbur crossbow in my exocet 200 :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Just bought Kathy a new vixen11 and after she opens it on x-mass morning i will get to try one out! :D , hopefully its to small for me or i might just have to buy myself one :lol: Ithink now iam a xbow junki as i own three!( she thinks i have two :lol: :lol: )
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
the elf

Post by the elf »

Some of those hunters that use smaller bows are older [senior citizen] or have something physical that makes them lean towards a smaller draw weight bow. I personally outgrew the bigger is better phase when my body started to tell me enough is enough.
I find more enjoyment for longer periods of time with the smaller
draw weight bows [vertical as well], but I am also 70 years young ---so maybe that makes a difference as well. JMO.
Tom

Post by Tom »

the elf wrote:Some of those hunters that use smaller bows are older [senior citizen] or have something physical that makes them lean towards a smaller draw weight bow. I personally outgrew the bigger is better phase when my body started to tell me enough is enough.
I find more enjoyment for longer periods of time with the smaller
draw weight bows [vertical as well], but I am also 70 years young ---so maybe that makes a difference as well. JMO.
Elf I sure hope that above comment is or was ment as a joke.

Most hunters or shooters choose the lower poundage models because they are less work to shoot. THe higher poundage models require more effort to cock the bow each and every time you fire it. If you do a lot of shooting, that means it can and will become a workout to shoot.
Chuck AA wrote:Hi I just checked the stats on the Vixen II it is not much lighter or smaller than an equinox? maybe the original was? I am not here to start a war about what is better like they do on some forums was just asking.
Chuck AA as was said above, in an earlier post, the differences between the models is basicly just the length of the rail (I believe some models have very small differences). What the lenght does is change the balance just slightly making it a little more front heavy.

Try out each different model. Try sholdering them all, and then hold it there like you would in the woods waiting for the proper shot. We all know that the time the bow is at the shoulder could be longer then we want.

Also, remember that a crossbow does not just shoot like a gun, you have to load the energy each and every time. This means you would be loading 50 - 75 pounds more energy each and every time you cock the bow. In the hunting world, it would mean very little, but if you want to shoot the bow for practice or for fun, you might find that the higher poundage bows become too much like work then fun. The high poundage bows also seem to be a little harsher on strings.

Now about my bow. I bought an orginal Relayer 150lb model way back when Excalibur was starting out. At that time, it was said that 150lb crossbow was way more then enough to kill a moose, and yes many many moose have been killed with one.

So just find the bow which you are most comfortable with and have fun.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
the elf

Post by the elf »

Tom-----If you will notice my use of----some--- and I----and--- JMO. No it was not meant as a joke.
Enjoy your day. ELF.
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

Why is there no thumbhole vixen model? Every other
level has them. Can we expect one in 2013?

MJS
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Michael.stogre wrote:Why is there no thumbhole vixen model? Every other
level has them. Can we expect one in 2013?

MJS
From what I've heard, you can contact Excalibur and make special requests. There is a a man on another forum who orders his stocks unfinished and dyes them himself.
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There is a a man on another forum who orders his stocks unfinished and dyes them himself.
There is some machining to be done for this to work. I'm not into it, so don't know much about it, but if you try to put a T-hole on a pistol grip rail, you need to research it fully...............
"Eze 18:21"
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Chuck Smaller and Lighter xbows ?
if you get too look at the pix from Boo Fest at the gray hairs there you will under stand why smaller and lighter xbows :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

joe171 wrote:Chuck Smaller and Lighter xbows ?
if you get too look at the pix from Boo Fest at the gray hairs there you will under stand why smaller and lighter xbows :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! lol