Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chuck AA

Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Post by Chuck AA »

Hi

Just noticed that lot of the hunters on the forum use the smaller crossbows? Is there a reason for this other than cost? New to the game just wondering? Is there a reason? are they better?
VixChix

Re: Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Post by VixChix »

Hey Mike/DeerSlayer/VixenMaster - you wanna get this one? :D

Moni a.k.a. LoveMyVixen
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

:lol: I thouht my lovely friend VixChix would do the Honors. I will try to answer yer ? Ease of handlin in a stand of any type. Dependable absolutely the best model. Comfortable you want sumpin thats light n easy specially durin cold weather. Vixens can kill any Tick Toter out to 40 yds without a hiccup! Put on good scope & sight it in, use good BH's & yer in like Flint! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

AMEN, Brother Mike! :D

Among the Excalibur shooters, there is a special subset of Vixen affictionadoes ("groupies" :) )

Usually Vixenites aren't "entry level" shooters - in fact, the opposite is often true: people start out with bigger (assuming better), then in time they realize that the "smaller" bows are just as effective and more of a joy to handle.

I can cock the other, faster Excalibur models, but I wouldn't trade my brown xbow. There is just something special about those Vixens!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Chuck AA

Post by Chuck AA »

Ok, you have anwered my question somewhat. Just like i shoot a .300 win mag faster and less trajectory, so I guess the equinox appealed and like with the .300 used to the extra weight, I have blinds that room is not an issue so all is good, in the end then i guess it is preference. Thanks
Chuck AA

Post by Chuck AA »

Hi I just checked the stats on the Vixen II it is not much lighter or smaller than an equinox? maybe the original was? I am not here to start a war about what is better like they do on some forums was just asking.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Chuck AA wrote:Hi I just checked the stats on the Vixen II it is not much lighter or smaller than an equinox? maybe the original was? I am not here to start a war about what is better like they do on some forums was just asking.
That's because they all have the same limbs and riser, the power diffs are in the rail lengths.
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey Chuck pick them up & handle them not much diff in felt weight until you shoulder them. The bigger pounders stick way out yonder in front! Nutten wrong wid any model that tickles yer fancy or melts yer butter! Its all in the personal choice/mind :)
Last edited by vixenmaster on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I believe that any Excal will shoot completely through any North American animal. With the higher poundage CBs you have the advantage of learning how to re-fletch your arrows because of the through target damage. Been there done that.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The equinox and the exomax are the top sellers because FPS speaks to a lot of folks, and for strictly hunting its hard not to argue that they are the king. They have a straighter trajectory and reach their target faster... Alot of us who shoot more targets than anything perfer the lower weight bows so that with alot of shooting we dont nedd to reserve as often, its easier to pull back, etc..etc.. Nothing wrong with any excal model, just type of use should dictate what model may be your happy place.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
taz3

Post by taz3 »

The stronger crossbows are harder on equipment too, so a mid to light one is easier to maintain, even to the wallet!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Vmoore

Post by Vmoore »

Ordered an Axiom, was a difficult choice, but feel confident about my choice after reading these comments. Was my son's recommendation, smart boy! :D :D :D
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

I went with an Ibex which is the step up from their lightest model. I didn't want to get the heavier bow for a few different reasons. The main reason why I got the Ibex was the thumbhole stock and the speed is plenty fast to get the job done.

The heavier bows I'm sure are great, but not being a string maker I just didn't want to deal with replacing strings or having to reserve the center serving as often.

They're all great choices, just depends on how much power you want/need.
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Chuck,

I was able to shoot all the Excalibur models at our local shop. I was surprised how the higher-poudage bows felt compared to the lower-poundage bows: Ibex & Vixen.

I would have gone with a Vixen, however this model only comes in a non-thumbhole stock. I went up to Ibex to get the thumbhole stock. Amazing, how an inch or two difference in a few spots change the "feel" of the crossbow so much.

All the best.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

I'm wanting into your little club :mrgreen: had my Exocet 200 in a two man ground blind this fall and thought, might need a addition on it to swing this bow around.

So after New years I'll be looking for one, ya can never have to many Excals in the house can ya?
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100