Some pictures from past threads ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Some pictures from past threads ...

Post by R.J. »

I was criusing some past threads and wanted to but together a few oldies for the ACS site ( ones that post date when I started sending Wylie H. pictures )

This little guy spent about 10 mins chatter/scolding me and dropping de-seeded pine cones on my position .... had me laughing out loud as he pelted me with half eaten cones !

Obviously he thought I was in his space ! :lol:

A small 5 point has been hanging around my stand , I passed on him earlier and Monday a.m. he was out again ..... the light was too poor for a picture , but when the sun was rising he wandered out in the field and I got a cool picture of him .

A cool shot of a coyote crossing the farm yard one morning ...

Some birds that visited while on stand ....

The 2nd rut is peaked in our area .... starting to see fresh rubs again ...

Although we haven't seen any big boys chasing does so far , partly because the weather was real fowl and we didn't get out as much as we would have liked ..... I did manage to get some pictures of 2 small rack bucks following does this a.m.

The series of shots starts off with a frame showing multiple deer .... if you look close in the bottom right corner of the 1st frame you can see a small yealing doe flagging her tail for the two bucks that are follwing to the left of the frame ....

The next frame shows the 2 bucks following her tracks , and the rest of the frames are of the bucks sniffing around until they walked out of sight .

The last buck walks through an opening and all the deer move up the ridge ....

This is a swamp buck , picture taken thru the cedars ...

This topic came up on another thread ..... do any of you have trail camera pictures that show deers reaction to the flash ?
I was using the Steath Camera many yeras ago ( cheap camera ) . Most up todate camera's now a days don't even use a flash .

This little button buck was not bothered by the click and wind of the camera .... he actually came in to have a closer look .

These are the only 2 bucks I saw at this small piece of property .... I saw them during the day .... days after the flash picture so they ddin't spook out of the area ...

A buddy put me on to these pictures , that show mutiple shots of a buck that didn't seem to be affected by the flash .

And yet here is a couple of shot's that show a buck spooking after the flash ....

Great trip : right up till the part where the airline lost my luggage ( all my hunting gear and clothes .... still no call from the airport :evil: )

Also .... many pic's didn't turn out :( ..... must have got some dirt in the camera ? ) Anyway here are some that survived ....

1st day spent time in a blind .... these are some of the critters that went by > Mule deer buck chasing doe at east side of blind

Coyote at west side

Saw many other mule deer and some whitetail deer but nothing big ...

2nd day we moved the blind to a pasture ridge

Got to be carefull when these mule deer bucks sneak in thru the bush .... this guy looked like a whitetail until he stepped into the opening a 150 yards on the east side of the blind ...

Later a mule buck to the north west of the blind

A small mule buck crossing in the south front field ....

3rd day ( Wednesday ) .....we started to spot and stalk some real nice prarrie cover with the sun coming in and out of the clouds ....

Here is Garett Tully scoping out some coulee's ( prarrie grass and aspen tree cover areas ) .... he was my guide and the new owner of Lucky Lake Outfitters ....

Lot's of cool hills , draws , and coulee's ....

This mule buck busted out of a coulee and headed up over a hill .... I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch him on his bed but it was typical of what you see when you come over a ridge to check out a slough , or coulee ....

You also got to watch out for these guys ....

At approx 9:30 am , Garett spotted some movement in a coulee and confirmed it was a whitetail buck moving in the field approx 400 yards away on the other side of a hill we were going by .... Garett figured the buck would end up crossing a low draw area ..... so I hustled in a crouch approx 300 yards to intercept him .... I peeked over the ridge and saw he was still trotting towards the pass , so I hustled another 200 yards in a crouch to try to cut him off .... I waited what seemed like forever when he finally appeared from behing the ridge at a trot ....

The wind was bad blowing towards him .... I grunted loudly and he stopped in his tracks .... I slapped the trigger of a borrowed Remington 7600 pump and sent 150 grains of Federal power shock behind his shoulder ... gravity did the rest as he hit the ground solid ! Here is the walk up pictured and one happy camper later .... my first Saskatchewan. whitetail !

I'm told he is small for Sask. Garett said we might have seen some bigger, but he was a beauty trophy end to a real cool spot and stalk hunt and I wasn't passing him up !

Here are some other pic's that I took ....

Some sage grouse ... saw lots of them ...

Many old farms for sale cheap ....

A small whitetail buck and doe getting off there beds in some field cover....

A nice snowy owl on a post with a small whitetail fork horn and doe laying in a field behind him ....

One of the many cool country lanes between farms ..... the sage grouse seem to like them ....

Some mule deer I saw across a pond when Neil D. was driving us up to his property ....

Man I had a great time ..... hunted 2 1/2 days .... saw lots of critters .... then got to visit an old school buddy .... hooked up with Neil D. for a tour .... then dropped in on one of the older gents in our group that retired in North Sask. approx 1 1/2 years ago .

Here are some cool rutting action pictures from years ago near Guelph

Large 10 point following a doe .... licking his nose as he trailed her ... then 1 by 1 the whole herd came up into the field ..... I managed to get 4 good shots before they spooked back into the cedars ..... the large 10 point was obviously starting to swell up and he ckecked me out before following the others ....

The whole encounter lasted approx 10 mins .... what a great photo opportunity ....
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
taz3

Re: Some pictures from past threads ...

Post by taz3 »

Wow, those pics are awesome!!

Thanks for sharing.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

taz3 wrote:Wow, those pics are awesome!!

Thanks for sharing.
x2

What camera were you using?
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow great shots.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics as always R.J. Thanks for posting them for us to enjoy. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great shots and some scenic country there!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Incredible pictures!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good to see the pictures and read your captions . . .thanks.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

Awesome pics thanks for sharing
roly

Post by roly »

Great pics RJ

Always fun to read your posts.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

When I saw the word "Pictures" and the poster was R.J. I knew I was in for a great treat. I was not dissappointed...

Great photos...

Thanks for posting..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I so enjoyed vthe pic's you shared wid us,thx
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great photos as always Rick!

Love seeing those mulies! I wonder why they never made it to Ontario?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maple

Post by maple »

Great pictures Rick.

Probably country and critters many of us will not get to see first hand. Never seen a sage grouse myself (nor a mule deer for that matter). I thought they were few and far between.

Thanks for sharing.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Great pictures....thanks! :D :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting