Black Bear on bait

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rockinrobbin

Black Bear on bait

Post by rockinrobbin »

Hello all this is my first post here. I signed up for a spring archery hunt. I did this before I tried my bow after cutting my wrist. The nerve damage says NO. Crossbows are aloud in New Brunswick so this is the road I will be going. While the 358 Winchester and I have done well with bears over the years this will be my first bow hunt for them. If you had to pick out the perfect Excalibur system (bow, bolt, string, broadhead, and sight) for this kind of hunt (normally the bears are 200-250lbs, from tree stands, and 20 meters max shot) what would it be? Thank you for your help.
Dayelight

Re: Black Bear on bait

Post by Dayelight »

Any excal will get the job done.
Add boltcutters to the standard set up that comes with the bow (Dacron string, Firebolts, Shadowzone/Varizone).
I dont know if there is a "perfect' set up. I think the most important things is your confidence when you pull the tigger.
Welcome to the forum.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D the wife and i are going bear hunting in nb in the fall. she has a vixen 2 150 lb, and i have an axiom 175 lb and a vortex 200lb. all of those will take a black bear. we shoot rage 2 125, but really looking at the slick trick 150 for crossbows. all of the excals are great and take a bear with a decent shot placement. you need to try a few out and see what fits you best, good luck.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
rockinrobbin

Post by rockinrobbin »

Thank you for the feed back. I like the looks of the slick tricks as well. Maine Hunter, the best of luck to you and you wife on your fall NB bear hunt! My wife and I will be going to NF for our first moose hunt fall 2013 - rifle. She has been hunting with me over 20 years. It is all about family.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i do a fair amount of bear hunting . as with any animal it comes down to shot placement the last couple of bears i used 100gr spitfire gt2pros no problem killing bears use my vortex.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

If you had to pick out the perfect Excalibur system (bow, bolt, string, broadhead, and sight) for this kind of hunt (normally the bears are 200-250lbs, from tree stands, and 20 meters max shot) what would it be? Thank you for your help.

Excalibur Vortex with Shadowzone package and Slick Trick 100 gr. Magnum Broadheads. The bear I shot this year was around 22 yards and the Slick Trick buried in the ground about 6 inches after passing through, the bear was dead in less than 40 yards. All the Excals are great but this is my preference.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
rockinrobbin

Post by rockinrobbin »

For the bow I am leaning torward the Vixen II. Some of the blinds/stands I have been in have been tight. Thank you all for the replies.
munch

Post by munch »

if this video loads my son shot this with a phoenix ioo grain razor trick broadhead one of big johns lazer2 with 100grain brass inserts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-b4hL7 ... 6Q&index=1
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
rockinrobbin

Post by rockinrobbin »

That was/is a great vid!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Any of Excal's hunting crossbows will pass an arrow clean thru a bear. If you have a bow shop near you go handle a few models and shoot them if you can. See what tickles your fancy. If it's the Vixen II that you want it won't let you down. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads