New to Me Exomag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BamaBinder

New to Me Exomag

Post by BamaBinder »

New Guy here.
I have been wanting an x-bow for several years and just never got one. This year I researched crossbows and decided if I was going to get an x-bow, it would be an Excalibur because they offer ruggedness, simplicity, and accuracy...you guys already know that though.

Found this baby on Craigslist for $220 and couldn't pass it up. Crossbow, quiver, 3 bolts, cocking aid, and a beat up Maxzone scope.

I finally got around to shooting it today and was pretty happy overall. The scope bottoms out and won't zero at 20 yards (still 5 inches high) but was dead on at about 33 yards (max distance on my makeshift backyard bow range)

It buries the bolt in my regular archery target. Plenty accurate grouping into the bullseye offhand. The bolts all have v-nocks which I understand are incorrect for the Excaliburs so I filed the nock on one flat just to try it out. The nock is anything but straight after my file job but close enough.

The string may need to be replaced, but the serving seems ok for now.

Questions if anybody has time.

1. What do I need to do for general maintenance? Rail lube and what else?
2. What is the correct string?
3. What is the proper zero distance for the MaxZone scope?
4. Other than proper bolts with broadheads is anything else needed to hunt this bad boy?
5. What are the proper bolts and broadheads?
6. What is the preferred scope in there parts? I was thinking Hawke MAB or SR or perhaps a Nikon Bolt XR.

Sorry for the mega post...just a little excited by my new toy.
Steve
Dayelight

Re: New to Me Exomag

Post by Dayelight »

Well I guess Ill chime in here. First off welcome to the forum and congrats on your great purchase. If you have mag tip limbs this is what i suggest. keep in mind im not the most knowledgeable member on this forum. there are plenty of other guys that have been in this business way longer than I have. Im sure they will chime in as well.
1.- Its up to you. Some guys lube the rail, some don't. Waxing the string is always a good thing. I stopped putting rail lube on a little bit ago and have just stuck with waxing. i haven't noticed any difference. I hear that the aluminum rail models should be waxed but synthetic isn't as important.
2.-String is once again debatable. I have a fast flight string on my bow. Stick with the stock dacron string for a bit, its better for dry fires. Buy the S5 before you get a fast flight. It will help if you accidentally dry fire.
3.-Dont know
4.-Practice, patience, and maybe a good range finder. You also might want to go ahead and get the string changing aid. No point in having a recurve if you can't swap the strings out yourself.
5.-Standard 20 inch Excal/Easton firebolts will get the job done til you want to upgrade. That is what comes stock with any excal.
6. Once again that is up to you. Some guys use Leupold some use Hawke and some stick with the standard excal scopes. It comes down to personal preference.

Good Luck.

Edit- Also update your location. That will help us get you some answers and locations to get the parts you need.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First off . Welcome to the worlds greatest crossbow forum . IMO :)
It looks like you have carved tip limb so stick to only dacron strings or you will be buying new limbs . :shock:
You can not put S5`s on your cast riser .
Your problem of hitting high can be fixed by loosening your scope mount screws slightly and moving the front of the mount up .
A little bit of light oil in the trigger case to help prevent rust .
The string length is 35.5 . If you can find a dacron super string it would be your next improvement to the bow .
The arrows are a personal choice . I prefer aluminum 2216`s or 2219`s .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Welcome to the forum. Quite a deal on the Exomag. Congrats. I cant tell if you have mag tip limbs or carved tip limbs on the bow, with the cast riser it could be carved tip. If it is you must stay with a dacron string as the FFF are death to the carved tips.There are two choices in dacron strings.An endless loop and a flemish.Both are available through Danny Miller(740-483-2312) at prices cheaper than anyone elses.Also Vixenmaster on the forum here makes custom dacron flemish strings which are very nice and quite reasonable in price.Just use a quality wax on your string and serving, dont overdo it,Daltons is a preferred name here.You will need a stringer to help you change strings and set brace ht.You might try remounting the Maxzone and see if that changes anything, or you could possibly shim it to get it zeroed like you want it.As for which brand scope... there are lots of options and many of them are good. I like my Leupolds and the quality I get from them, but many here use other brands and have great luck with them.Keep your thumb and fingers BELOW the rail when you shoot and have a ball. These bows are so good they are almost boring.
P.S.
Danny has lots of the dacron flemish( super string) string in stock
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on Danny Miller.........He'll warranty the Maxzone. Congrats on a great deal and welcome to the forum.
"Eze 18:21"
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a good purchase.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welcome to the forum!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

Welcome.....you did good! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

Wouldn't the scope be covered under warranty by Excalibur????
Proverbs 3:5-6
BamaBinder

Post by BamaBinder »

Thanks for the information and feedback. I'll get some of the items I need from Danny Miller and I will ask about the MaxZone warranty although I am not the original owner and the scope has clearly been treated roughly. I don't expect anyone to warrantee a scope under those circumstances.

I will play with the scope and mount. It could be a reason why that scope is off and maybe it can be corrected.

Thanks again,
Steve
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Miller = warranty..........You are in for a pot of coffee treat when you call him..........
"Eze 18:21"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D danny is a one of a kind guy, great to talk and deal with.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks wrote:Miller = warranty..........You are in for a pot of coffee treat when you call him..........
HA HA HA HA
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new to you Exomag. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
BamaBinder

Post by BamaBinder »

Tried the Exomag again this weekend and had poor results. I dismounted the MaxZone, looked everything over and remounted with the scope more forward. Shot it some more. Making no changes to the scope, it now shoots about 5" to the right but elevation is on. I adjusted the scope and now the scope is adjusted all the way to the left and it is still shooting to the right several inches.

I dismounted the scope and mounted an old shotgun scope with basically the same result. I guess the mount may be the problem, but it seems unlikely it would have been hit hard enough to cause that type of point of impact change.

Ah the pitfalls of buying used... You have no idea what the previous owners have done. I'll probably replace the scope mount and see if that fixes the problem.

All issues aside, the bow is very accurate... Tons easier to shoot than a vertical...