Slick Trick Xbow 150 Broadheads vs. Excal Bolt cutter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

quincyp

Slick Trick Xbow 150 Broadheads vs. Excal Bolt cutter

Post by quincyp »

New EXOMAX owner. :D
Conditions: Wind, 1-2 mph, slight gusts @ 45 deg angle, slight overcast.
Shooting off of Jacket on hood of jeep, to steady the Xbow.
Sights: ExCal shadow zone scope
Laser range finder.

Sighted in with the green fletched firebolt arrows that came with my bow and a new set of firebolts (they showed up with orange fletching). I used a G5 ASD (Arrow Squaring device, from Cabelas) to ensure the inserts were true. Also, weighed and tuned each field point and broadhead until they were exactly 150grns on my electronic scale. I shot at 20 and 50 yards with the 150 grn field points first, and the scope seemed to tune in at approx 320 fps mark with the stock string. Shooting Field points was so accurate, I damaged my first bolt at 50 yards, with the second shot. I decided to shoot at a different bullseye on the target each time, even at that range (oops!)

First broadheads tried were Excalibur 150 grn boltcutter 3 blade broadheads.
20 yards - dead on, repeatable.
50 yards - 2 to 4 inch drift to right due to wind, elevation was +/- one inch.

Second broadheads were the Slick Trick Xbow 150grn 4 blades.
20 yards - dead on,repeatable.
50 yards - 1 to 2 inch drift to right due to wind. elevation +/- one inch.

I shot approx 20 shots with each broad head at both ranges over a time span of about two hours (including tuning in the scope with field points). The slick trick Xbow's seemed to be a "tad bit" less affected by the wind, at least with me on the trigger, on this day.

Both, broadheads were extremely accurate.
The target was "the Block" that I also purchased at cabelas.
I would be interested in seeing any cutting tests between the two (anyone?)
Both broadheads should hit the mark, if you do your part.

I am amazed at the accuracy of my Exomax!
Bones

Re: Slick Trick Xbow 150 Broadheads vs. Excal Bolt cutter

Post by Bones »

Adjust for what ever head you want to shoot. I've sent both head's through 1/8 " aluminum at 25 yd's both did great on that non scientific test. At many different yardages I've had good luck with the trick's.
quincyp

Post by quincyp »

Not familiar with Blazer vanes. Are their any bolts that come with those vanes already istalled? Thanks.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Good post I give my nod to the slick tricks they are 4 blade with more cutting area nothing wrong with the bolt cutters though.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I have the 2012 Equinox Shadowzone package and bought extra firebolts with my purchase, so I have a total of 19 orange fletched firebolts and I bought a 6 pack of 150 grain boltcutters. I didn't weight the fieldpoints or broadheads, but I able to place both under an inch out to 50 yards.

I immediately changed the Excel string out for the Flemish Dyna Flight string before shooting my crossbow. I use a CB-16 BLOCK Black crossbow target.

During this winter am thinking on changing the 4" vanes to 2" blazes and trying Slick Trick's 150 grain broadheads on next years hunt.

Plus I swapped out the Shadowzone scope for a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope, but I haven't shot it yet.

yooper_man
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's