After weeks of research Got me a VORTEX coming

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kbalz

After weeks of research Got me a VORTEX coming

Post by kbalz »

Been reading and looking at excal's for a few weeks now. Today found a great deal on a Vortex lite stuff package w/ shadow zone scope. Should have it by friday hopefully :D . I've had a conversation with dan miller already about a few things with the xbow (but i still ordered some dalton wax :lol: ). He seems like a great guy and went far above and beyond lending me some knowledge. definitely going to be where I get arrows ,etc. from. I have learned alot already reading on this site and hope to learn much more. I have 1 question , right now, is there anything i should know or do when I receive this bow . It's brand spanking new and will be unassembled. thank you in advance.
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: After weeks of research Got me a VORTEX coming

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Give it a name and bless your new bow.
Congrats and welcome to the forum.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Your going to love your Vortex. After taking a couple deer this past season I realize why Excalibur calls the arrows they sell Firebolts! Good luck with your new bow.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D i got my vortex a couple of weeks ago,your going to love it. i was shooting on sunday and was hitting perfect at 30 yards,dead on!!!bought a few things to go on it like the s5's,cheekrest,ex-tend for the stock. looks and shoots awesome.good luck and have fun shooting it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Gemjam

Post by Gemjam »

Excellant choice! I think you will have many hours of enjoyment with your vortex! I know I Love mine. Don't shoot at the same spot with more than one arrow or it will get expensive quick! You will be amazed at the power and accuracy it has! None better than Excalibur in my book! Be sure to keep your fingers below the rail when you shoot!!! Have fun and enjoy! Greg :D :D
2012 Excal Vortex Varizone, Vixenmaster String, GT Lazers 2s, S2 Blazers, 125 Swackers
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Watch the whole DVD. Assemble it along with the Bill. He will give you a great welcoming into the Excalibur family and get you off on the right foot with your brand spankin new recurve!

I echo what others have said. Respect your bow at all times. These babys pack a punch and are deadly accurate. I have the baby version, Ibex. I find myself taking it out more often than my ventilator lately, it's just a joy to shoot.

Have fun!
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
wabi

Post by wabi »

Put it together and shoot a lot, you'll enjoy it!

Just be careful to establish a routine from the very start - cock, safety ON, load arrow, sight, safety OFF, squeeze trigger, "follow through" (watch the arrow impact the target through the scope).
And don't forget the "load arrow" step. :wink:
Some of us have. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
kbalz

Post by kbalz »

Thank you for the replys. I will take care to keep fingers and thumbs out of harms way. :o and try like h377 to remember to load a bolt each and everytime. :lol: Ordered the s5 today as well , going to get more bolts, How many is a good starting point 10,20, a few thousand :D thank you again
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

I've probably shot a couple hundred times between my bows (I'm new too), and only ever lost 2 arrows. One shot off into some tall grass in my pasture, the other is stuck in the wooden backstop on my target. Both were lost when trying to sight in. Once you get sighted in, the chance to lose an arrow is a lot less unless you really make a mistake.

That being said, you'd be fine with 6 arrows to start. I currently have about 50 arrows right now because I'm still trying to find my perfect arrow.
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Welcome to the family and With the Vortex You are off to a great start. In my opinion it is the perfect sweet spot between enough power to hunt anything you could ever want to and it is fairly easy on strings and the back.

As a few have already stated don't shoot at he same place twice or you will need a lot of arrows. i got my Vortex and In the first four arrows I ever shot from any bow I was suddenly down to just two arrows as I kept stacking them on top of each other. The first one I figured it was a fluke, but after the second one I knew it had to be the bow.

Have fun and make the bow your own, whether you like to shoot "naked" or fully dressed with an "aging crossbower" stock, Boo string, Big John arrows, Munch mount or any number of other tweaks and accessories. These are more than just a hunting tool they are a lifestyle :D
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome to the 'family', lol. You might wanna check your accessory package for a stringing aid. You most probably will need one to change your brace height and, they don't come w/ all packages..........
"Eze 18:21"
gutshot2

Post by gutshot2 »

Check your bolts when retrieving them from the target. I have only had my Ibex a couple of weeks and shot it maybe 50 times. After shooting the other day I decided to put the broadheads on and noticed one of the bolts was splintered. I always shoot at different spots so I am sure it was not hit by another arrow. Just glad I did not shoot it in the condition it was in.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Be very careful when installing the quiver bracket. they have recently changed from a stamped metal piece to a ribbed, molded plastic piece. On my new Exocet, the ribs forced the screws to be just slightly at an angle during installation, and the screws kept wanting to crossthread the soft aluminum threads in the barrel/stock.

Other than that, installation was a breeze and it is a very nice piece of equipment. After 30 shots or so I do need to add a couple of twists to bring my brace height into spec, so I have ordered a stringing aid (along with extra firebolts, S5 kit, extra string, extra cocking rope, deluxe excal case......cha ching.....
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Good Luck on your new Vortex they are sweet to shoot, you picked one of the best companys out there, their customer service and support is pretty awesome. The people on the Forum here can help you a lot all you have to do is ask. You have already received some great advice so have fun and good luck shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads