New trail camera

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cryon

New trail camera

Post by Cryon »

With Christmas come and gone a new trail camera seems to be in order.
Any recommendations on cameras?
Have a spypoint ir-5 and works great long battery great day time pictures. Night ir flash is good but pictures are blurry with the slightest movement from the animal.
Price range is $75-$150 maybe more maybe less.
Too many dishonest people out there to have an expensive camera in the woods.

Lets hear what you have got.
Thanks
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
UPSMAN

Re: New trail camera

Post by UPSMAN »

Iv'e got 4 of the moultrie m80xt cameras. About 140 dollars each. The batteries have lasted the entire deer season. Put them out Labor Day and they are still running. Have one of them attached to a moultrie solar panel. It's been in the woods for 2 years and still going.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

The M80xt is one of the ones on my list.
How are the night time pictures? Flash distance and is the flash evenly bright over the entire picture or is there a tunnel effect?

Also how easy is it to set up?
Thank you
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

pretty easy to set up. good pictures out to 50 ft. and the quality is pretty good. I have the original m80 also. That camera has quite a bit of motion blur at night if the animal is moving. None of the infrared cameras can take the same quality night photo as the old white flash cameras. will search my photobucket account and see if I saved any of them. will post here if I find any.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have had a Moultrie, and now have a Bushnell and a Spypoint, and I prefer the Spypoint out of the three.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have a pile of cameras not a perfect one in the lot . Wish I could build one with the best features of the ones I have used .

Here is my quick review

SpyPoint - have an FLA -4 MP , IRA 6 - 6 MP , and an IR 6 6MP

Color pictures on all of them are great - they clunk during night mode - flash on the 2 newer camera's is the best of any of the ones I own --- it is very bright . Delay is a bit long 1 minute --- burst mode for photos is a bit slow --- trigger speed is probably 2 seconds or longer . Battery life is great . Customer service is very good as well . Had a question -- sent an email --- reply in about 1 hour !!

2 - 8MP Bushnell XLTs --- lots of adjustments ----very good trigger speed -- decent daytime photos --- fair night time pics -- clunks at night shots --- battery life is great.

Scoutguard SG560 --- 5mp good trigger speed -- good day time photos -- fair night time pictures - NO CLUNK on night pictures --- seperate remote needed to program camera great battery life . Very good customer service .

Wildgame 5mp . Slow trigger speed , 1 minute delay , single still photo's , clunks , so so battery life , bulky
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Thanks for the reviews they are appreciated.
Keep them coming.
All are great ideas and cameras to consider.
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Not sure if they're made anymore, but my Wildgame Innovations x6c has served me very well for the past two years... Great picture quality, day or night. The only complaint I have is that once temps drop below freezing, standard batteries tend to fail... An external battery pack took care of the problem, though I'm sure Li-ion's would have fixed it as well.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have to add a bit of info -

Spypoint is easy to program . All slide type switches . Camera sits inside the external housing . You have to be carful not to drop the camera when opening the door ( my IR6 does not snap in as tight as the FLA )
Gander Mountain and Cabelas have there name on a pair of spypoint camera's both 4mp . Gander model has sound

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005

Can not find the C4 on Cabela USA site but is listed on spypoint website

( Canadian tire also carries some spypoint ---- IR 6 caan be had for about $120
on sale .)
http://www.spypoint.com/EN/trail-camera ... dition.php

THe Bushnells models I own have a LCD viewer --small --program takes a bit to get used to ----my big complaint with them is they beep --everytime you want to go thru the menu or make a change . They are a bit of a pain to learn to program . Big plus is the 2 year warranty , at Canadian Tire has a 2 year over the counter on them with sales reciept .
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

The biggest thing I found was when I put my bushy and Spypoint side by side, the spypoint picked up my more activity that the Bushnell never recorded. I also like that Spypoint is Quebec company and have great customer service.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
koko

Post by koko »

I have 2 Moultrie M-100 's. What I like about them is the lcd viewer screen. I don't use it to view pictures. I use it to set up the camera to take the picture. But I see alot of the new moultries don't have that set up. It takes the guess work out of setting the camera up. You get to see the picture it is going to take.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers