brown growths on internal organs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

brown growths on internal organs

Post by one shot scott »

A friend of mine was fortunate enough to recently get his first deer this season. As we were dressing it i noticed these brown growths on its windpipe. It was bulging on the side.(not flush with w/pipe) About the size of a raisin, sometime slightly bigger/smaller. As we went along I noticed that it carried all the way to the back of the deer on some of the internal organs. It was a young deer. I recall reading something about this at one time but thats all I can recall! Anyone have any insight as to what it may be? It looked to be a perfectly healthy deer otherwise. I dont think its anything to be concerned about but want to make sure just the same.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
colouredchameleon

Re: brown growths on internal organs

Post by colouredchameleon »

Best to ask the MNR they may have some insight into the cause and whether you should be concerned. They may also be interested in a sample for their own Biologist.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't knowed what it is but run acrossed it a time or 2 dressin out deer in the past 50 yrs. I never worry about stuff like that unless sumpin is festered or raw n smelly. Then if'en the meat smells clean i jus cook it completely. Don't reckon i ever got a belly ache in all these yrs. Best ck with yer Wildlife Bio. ppl
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Had some on my last deer - just little brown spots that were raised. Didn't worry about it - everything was healthy otherwise and the meat was tasty! :D

EDIT: "Hemal nodes (blood nodes). Found this on another site - seems like that's what I saw on mine. See the Hemal Nodes part below:

"http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html

Lymph Nodes & Hemal Nodes

When deer hunters are field dressing and butchering their harvested animals, there are 2 normal anatomical structures that are commonly seen and often cause concern for the hunter. These 2 structures are lymph nodes and hemal nodes (or hemolymph nodes).

Lymph nodes occur throughout the body but the one most commonly seen and submitted is the subscapular lymph node that is usually located in a mass of fat behind the shoulder blade. Lymph nodes are normally gray, yellowish brown, or tan in color, oval in shape, and appear slimy. Lymph nodes have the general appearance of a raw oyster. It is not uncommon for a hunter to have killed and butchered several deer in his/her lifetime and never to have seen a lymph node. Because of this, it does cause concern in these individuals when they do cut across a lymph node, and it is at that time they often submit tissues for examination.

Hemal nodes usually occur in the fat that lies along the vertebrae of the neck, near where the trachea is found. Hemal nodes may also occur in the abdominal cavity in the fat located along the vertebrae near the tenderloins. These nodes are numerous in ruminants (deer, elk, cattle, sheep), occur in small numbers in canids (dogs, coyotes, wolves), and are absent in many other animal species. Hemal nodes are usually ovoid (being larger than a pea), maroon or black in color, and may be either solid or fluid-filled. They resemble a very small spleen or blood clot, and are also called accessory spleens. Hemal nodes are very prominent and, as a result, many hunters see them, are concerned that they are diseased tissue, and submit samples for examination.

Both lymph and hemal nodes are filtering organs that are closely associated with the circulatory system. Abscesses have been observed in lymph nodes but have not been seen in hemal nodes. Abscesses are encapsulated pockets of purulent material (pus) that form due to bacterial invasions. (See the chapter on abscesses for complete information.)"

Thanks for bringing this up Neil. I'd wanted to investigate further after seeing in the deer, but totally forgot. I learned something today!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I was going to say Hemal nodes but looks like Vix beat me to it. :) :)
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
wabi

Post by wabi »

Like Vixenmaster I'll call 'em "I Don't nodes". :lol: :lol:
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks for the link Moni, After looking at the pictures, They are hemal nodes. I have gutted many deer and this is a first time i saw them, wonder if its more predominate in younger deer? At any rate hes good to go! thanks all
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

one shot scott wrote:Thanks for the link Moni, After looking at the pictures, They are hemal nodes. I have gutted many deer and this is a first time i saw them, wonder if its more predominate in younger deer? At any rate hes good to go! thanks all
I think mine was a 2 or 3 yr old - not older. It was the first time I'd seen the nodes too. He was also darker under the brisket than others. I'd first thought he'd had gotten dirt in his lighter hair when we moved him, but it was actually darker hair.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

quite a few of the hogs that we kill in Georgia have this same type of issue.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String