Having fun at 100.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woodspike

Having fun at 100.

Post by Woodspike »

Spent most of the afternoon working my way back from 50, but I finally got it done.
Using Burris Zee Offset rings with the Shadow-zone scope, She's on at 100 yards. :twisted:

Didn't have time to shoot groups, but the few shots I was able to take before dark were all within 3".
Will try to post video tomorrow if I can get the camera to work... Really hoping for a 100 yard robin-hood. Would definitely be worth sacrificing a bolt. :)

I can't get over the accuracy of these bows...
Normous

Re: Having fun at 100.

Post by Normous »

Thats awesome shooting!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Shoot on Stick!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Is that picture from a 100 yd shot? If so, I would have thought that the entry angle would have been steeper. That bolt looks like it was shot from 20 yds.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

UPSMAN wrote:Is that picture from a 100 yd shot? If so, I would have thought that the entry angle would have been steeper. That bolt looks like it was shot from 20 yds.
Yes, that is a 100 yard shot... Unfortunately there is no way for me to prove it, which is why I'm hoping to get video tomorrow... :|

EDIT: I got lucky with this one... Being that the target only had 3 shots in it (Set up new once I got the bow sighted in) I was able to insert the SAME bolt, into the SAME hole...

Here is the angle of impact:

I did choose a poor camera angle for the original photo.
Last edited by Woodspike on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

UPSMAN wrote:Is that picture from a 100 yd shot? If so, I would have thought that the entry angle would have been steeper. That bolt looks like it was shot from 20 yds.
I would have assumed that the arrow travels fairly level because gravity acts on both ends the same. There must be a few engineers here that can explain the flight and at what rate the tail points up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

that,s good shooting ! you will find that shooting more than one arrow at one spot will get expensive even at long range and a robinhood soon to come. lots of fun and if any problems with anything be it the shooter or equipment you will find out quick! good luck on that robinhood an keep us posted! I,ve done a lot of shooting at 80yds and had to trim my pine branches hanging down . what a drop but have never noticed my arrows not being almost level in the targets? but I will be looking for that the next time I shoot. I,m not to observant!!!!
Last edited by Masboy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Woodspike,
I believe you about the yardage. The longest shot that I've taken with my Equinox has been 50 yds. My G.T. bolts have the 110 gr insert and when they hit my target at that range, they hit with the rear of the bolt at a higher level than the point.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I was wondering how much difference there is in penatration between say 20 yrds or so and 100 yrds. Is there more or less ?
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Mo wannabe wrote:I was wondering how much difference there is in penatration between say 20 yrds or so and 100 yrds. Is there more or less ?
Penetration was less at 100, but I can't say for sure how much... Will add that to my list of measurements to take tomorrow.

The bolts I ended up using were GT III's (courtesy of Shucks), with brass inserts and 175 grn tips. Total arrow weight of 495. (The heaviest setup I have)

Going to mess around with various point weights to see what effect they have on group size, trajectory, and penetration at that distance.

If all goes well, I'll do some side-by-side comparisons between the GT II, III, and Firebolts.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

that sounds great! I would like to see some shooting other than my own for a change. don,t see a lot of testing for groups and different arrows on here. I,m a die hard hunter but also just love to shoot and test things! now I hardly shoot closer than 50yds . just more fun to me hitting small targets at long range with my best arrows and a real challenge on windy days. but lots of fun. I use to shoot with the guys for money years ago at long ranges with our vertical bows and we had a ball but all good things come to an end.
wabi

Post by wabi »

It would be interesting to see what effects a light crosswind has on arrow flight at long range, too.
wabi
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Congrats Woodspike you may have opened up a new conversation here. I to think it would be fun and interesting , long distance in off season
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Hey Woodspike I meant to ask. What made u go to 175 grain points just curios ?
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
I would have assumed that the arrow travels fairly level because gravity acts on both ends the same. There must be a few engineers here that can explain the flight and at what rate the tail points up.
Mr Newton took the holidays off. Possibly back in office mid next week.