Having fun at 100.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tman74

Re: Having fun at 100.

Post by tman74 »

That's some great shooting. Did you loose any arrows in the process? I loose enough target shooting within 50 yds... :oops: Lol.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Mo wannabe wrote:Hey Woodspike I meant to ask. What made u go to 175 grain points just curios ?
There are a few reasons why I chose my heaviest bolt as a starting point. First being, I wanted to make sure that my scope setup had enough elevation adjustment to compensate for the drop of a heavy bolt... Any point weight that I shoot after this will have a less dramatic arc (flatter trajectory), thus giving me virtually endless adjustments when testing progressively lighter bolts.

Second reason; The heavier the projectile, the less effect wind will have on it, and the less drift one has to figure into the equation... Which flows into the third reason, FOC. Loading up the front of the bolt with as much weight as I had available. (an extreme example, but think "long distance lawn darts")

Overall, I feel it was a good starting "point", and control for my testing.
tman74 wrote:That's some great shooting. Did you loose any arrows in the process? I loose enough target shooting within 50 yds... :oops: Lol.
Only one... And I got lucky that it dropped short. Should be easy to find come spring once the snow melts off.
Dash

Post by Dash »

UPSMAN wrote:Is that picture from a 100 yd shot? If so, I would have thought that the entry angle would have been steeper. That bolt looks like it was shot from 20 yds.
It can be surprising,
I was shooting 180 meters in a clout competition last year. Even after upping the tip weight to 200 grain I was still having trouble getting the arrows to stick into the clay because of too flat a trajectory. I had to lose the equinox and use the slower speed of the ibex combined with 250 grain tips to start getting the steeper trajectory angle needed to stop the arrows skidding off the ground.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's some darn good shooting there! I can see how it would be a lot of fun shooting at this challenging distance.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I shot my Xbow at 80 and the arrows hit rather flat and deep. It's sure is different shooting that far, with the Xbows. :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Milan

Post by Milan »

Me and my brother was shooting my Vortex few months ago at about 80 yds. That thing is very very accurate. We couldn't believe it, you could hit those spots like shooting with rifle :) I had Gt laser II with blazer vanes.
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Working on getting the video together, but here are the photo results of today's group...

3 GT II, and 3 GT III, All with bolt fletched Blazers, brass inserts, and 145 grain tips. The GT III's are without the labels, and as you can see, grouped much tighter than the II's...

I am so impressed by how these are grouping, I wish I had one of you from the forum here to verify that these were in-fact shot from 100 yards... I wouldn't believe it myself, if I hadn't been the one pulling the trigger.
Last edited by Woodspike on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

LOL, after shooting my Phoenix unsighted, I can verify that this is possible. I'm sure with sighting and a rest, I could damage some bolts! :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

great shooting! I see a robinhood coming soon if you keep shooting at the same spot. anyone who has shot much at long range with these bows knows how accurate they are with good arrows.mine still empresses me when I shoot it. keep at it and keep the pictures coming!
frisky

Post by frisky »

Is that a camera , I see at the right edge about target high. If it is , what do you use it for?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

frisky wrote:Is that a camera , I see at the right edge about target high. If it is , what do you use it for?
Cheap old Kodak I was using for video... Just something I was playing around with.

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... nt=100.mp4

(Edited for time)
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Woodspike ... thanks for sharing. Great shooting. I shot today for the first time at 50 yards; can't imagine trying for a 100. Appreciate your sharing the photos and updating us on your endeavors. All the best.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Woodspike wrote:
frisky wrote:Is that a camera , I see at the right edge about target high. If it is , what do you use it for?
Cheap old Kodak I was using for video... Just something I was playing around with.

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... nt=100.mp4

(Edited for time)
Way cool, I can hear the bow shoot , then the arrow hits! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting