New 380 arrived-first thoughts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

excalibrett

New 380 arrived-first thoughts

Post by excalibrett »

Well, it finally got here. Taking it out of the package, my first thought is wow. Love the way it looks. Has a different color scheme than the Equinox- pretty much all brown and gray camo, no green. Like the contrasting look of the black rubber inserts in the stock cutout and forarm.
Putting it together is no different from the other models-pretty straight forward. Took me all of about 15 minutes-most of that was getting the scope set where I wanted it. Speaking of the scope, so far I like it better than the shadow zone. Have not tried the illumination yet, though. I am not crazy about the aluminum rings supplied, however. They have the large knurled screw that is used to set the dovetail on the mount. The instructions say to use a coin to tighten them. Don't know about you , but I am not gonna trust my scope installation to using a coin to tighten something on. Found a large enough screwdriver to use so it should be fine-just looks too cheap to be using on an $1100 unit. The scope also comes with flip up clear caps which is a nice upgrade, in my opinion. Trouble is they seem to fit too loose to stay on when flipping them open with one finger. I have heard of people using a wrap of black electrical tape to tighten up-I will try this. I think I am gonna like this scope though-much smaller and lighter and personally I like to numbers next to the reticle dots. It is a reminder to me to make sure I am using the right one :D .
After getting everything together, I pulled her back for the first time. Wow-quite a bit of difference between this and the Equinox. Just about the time I start to feel even the slightest amount of strain, I am at the end of the pull. Those few inches less make all the difference in the world. I noticed the rope cocker has been shortened quite a bit-this indeed also helps. Something to be very cautious of-the safety still needs to be in the fire position to engage the firing hooks. If the safety is on, the anti dryfire will engage and it will appear to be cocked properly(especially for us not use to them). I suppose an arrow could be then be loaded and you would not know any difference until you pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Could see this happening very easily in a hunting situation when a million other things are going on. SOMETHING TO BE VERY AWARE OF.
Now for the part where I pull the trigger on the first shot. This is where I need more data to come to a more accurate conclusion. I only shot the 380 four times. Why only four times, do you ask. Well, because my bag target that is about 12 inches thick was having issues stopping this BEAST. Never had this issue before. The Equinox would bury them within an inch or two of the fletching, but this thing was hammering them in far enough where they were dissapearing. The blazer vanes were taking the abuse though. Another change I like is the blazers by the way. I put all four arrows in a 1 1/2" group at 15 yds-will sight it in when my new target arrives :lol: I can say this-I am not sure I like the trigger pull so far. My first shot I actually stopped at mid pull, because I thought I still had the safety on. It wasn't. The next 3 shots seem to be a little crisper, but there is definitely a difference there. Like I said earlier, I need a few more shots to form a clearer opinion. Hopefully it will get better as it gets a few more shots on it and I become more used to it.
Well, time to wrap it up. Overall, I think I am gonna be happy with the purchase. Loved my Equinox-may like this one even more. I think it is the nicest looking crossbow in the lineup so far. It cocks easier, and is definitely smaller. The only thing I need now is a new Munchmount-which will work, the posts just need to be a smaller diameter and longer to fit the new holes(Are you out there Munch?) :?: Hope this answers some questions-if you have any more, fire away!!
Excal Matrix 380
Leupold VX1 2-7x32
Black Eagles
Boo Strings
custom Munchmount

Strykezone 380
Hawke xb30
Black Eagles

Darton Lightning
Hawke xb30
Gold Tip Laser IVs
kd8jgu

Re: New 380 arrived-first thoughts

Post by kd8jgu »

Congrads
Like I said the other day when we spoke
Load it up come on down for some hogs
See how well they like it.
Will be calling you at sunrise monday so you can ship that package down and I can get the wife to quiet down
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
crsmith

Post by crsmith »

Thanks for your initial thoughts. How id u find the noise and vibration compared to the Equinox.
Milan

Post by Milan »

Congrat for the new bow :)
I hope you're gonna tell us something more about the trigger pull (after few 10 shoots)...I am concerned about the trigger pull on this bow. And pay attention on the center serving, how will hold up.

Thank you!

milan.
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

finally got my account working on here lol

x2 milan....its sounds stiffer but I'm concerned about travel/creep too. I don't mind a 4lb trigger but if you have a lot of creep as well then it becomes an issue.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D glad you like it, please keep us posted about your new beast!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
munch

Post by munch »

i have not seen one yet but will try and get in to the shop and take a look. i'm sure this year i will have a new one just can't put out the extra money so close to xmas . can you post a clear pic of the top of the riser and a distance of the holes center to center if they are no longer 4 1/8" center to center munch .
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

excalibrett wrote: I have heard of people using a wrap of black electrical tape to tighten up-I will try this.
I use green painters tape, comes off easy and does not leave a nasty adhesive residue like electrical tape.

So far your review sounds good, as mentioned I too would like your feelings on the difference in the sound of the bow when shot compared to your other bow.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Thanks for sharing. Stopped at the shop I purchased my Ibex and none of the sales folk had heard of the Matrix. I guess I will have to wait for the Eastern Outdoor Show in February to see one. All the best.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

How did u get one so fast ? Where did u order it from ?
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
excalibrett

Post by excalibrett »

Mo wannabe wrote:How did u get one so fast ? Where did u order it from ?

Ordered it from Archersnook. Just so happens, when I called it had just come off the truck. They had one of each model, is all. In other words, I got lucky. Paid dearly for the shipping though-almost $50, not to mention the extra 3% my credit card nailed me for an international purchase. :evil: :evil:
Excal Matrix 380
Leupold VX1 2-7x32
Black Eagles
Boo Strings
custom Munchmount

Strykezone 380
Hawke xb30
Black Eagles

Darton Lightning
Hawke xb30
Gold Tip Laser IVs
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I wil be dropping in to Archers nook on Jan 05th to have a look see. Hope they have a Matrix 355 for me to see. I am leaving the Master Card @ home though! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:I wil be dropping in to Archers nook on Jan 05th to have a look see. Hope they have a Matrix 355 for me to see. I am leaving the Master Card @ home though! :)
Why??? I know you want it. :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
excalibrett

Post by excalibrett »

Another positive to add to the list-I just picked up a Plano Max hardcase and the Matrix fits inside with an inch to spare. No need in buying the ginormous Manta that they offer for the other Excalibers.
Excal Matrix 380
Leupold VX1 2-7x32
Black Eagles
Boo Strings
custom Munchmount

Strykezone 380
Hawke xb30
Black Eagles

Darton Lightning
Hawke xb30
Gold Tip Laser IVs
pinshooter