Two "action" outings , approx 4 years apart .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Two "action" outings , approx 4 years apart .

Post by R.J. »

Up till now ... these have been some of my favorite action shots captured by my camera , while crossbow hunting with friends ...

Nov 29th Weekend 2008 ... We spot a buck in a corn field ...
The wind is right and the snow is soft enough for a stalk ( Steve R. volunteers ) ... we set the guys up on some other escape routes and I hang back to try to get some cool pictures ...
Unbelievable how close Steve gets to these deer ... I witnessed the whole thing ... I saw a doe and two fawns walk rows away as Steve stalked closer to the the buck that evantually walks ahead with a doe in front of him ..
The buck and doe seem to hear something as Steve's approaches but crane thier ears in the opposite direction ... because the wind is right they realy have no idea Steve is a few rows over and closing !
The last two frames show the buck lifting head ... appears to be wind scenting .. then from my vantage point they seem to disappear into the lower corn foliage .. Steve is basically right beside them now , downwind ...
Steve gets his crossbow up for the shot ... only he can explain what happend next ... there was a flurry of movement and the few shots I did get were too blurry to post ...
PS : Is it possible to shoot over deer at that short distance ! ... The answer is Yes !
I got some sweet frames of a buck that ran the " Easton Aluminum " gauntlet later in the corn field push !
He stops long enough to look back towards Rob L's position ...
Before he heads into the cover past Chris O's sniper spot ... and that is the last we see of him ..
By the end of the day ... we had no deer down , but some awsome new stories to tell at work !!

Fast forward to Dec 30th 2012

I have many indoor projects on the go again ... the list seems a mile long ... But I did get the dinning room done , so my wife kicked me out for some fresh air !

Our corn came off late November ... So now the deer are back in the bush , closer to our stands .

These three walked past me this morning , while on stand with Rob H. and Leon K.

All three of us saw deer on morning stand but no arrow launches occured ... So we headed approx 1 hour North and met up with Chris H.

Leon and I are driving Toyota's and Rob H. has a big Ford > which is handy for taking the majority of the crew to post ...

On the way up , I spotted a nice buck bedded , and managed to get a few frames as he scrambled off his bed > Over the hill and into cover ... the start of many cool pictures of the day !

The plan was simple ... Find some fresh tracks on farms we have permission to hunt .

Set guys up in known escape routes ... and hope for the best ! Here are some cool pictures from one push that did move deer !

I post Rob H. along a ditch run North of the deer trail... Chris H. across the field North of a couple of my climber trees ... And I hunker in the tree's at the South end to try and get some action photo's ! Leon walks thru the bush West to East .

Well it doesn't take long for the 1st player to show up ... a doe scrables out of the bush > up the ditch and starts across the field ..

Rob H. gets ready to get on her with his Excalibur Exquinox , but she doesn't slow down = no connection !

The doe smokes across the field and it's looking like she is going to run over Chris H !

I get two cool pictures of Chris H. tracking her with his Excalibur Exomax ... But again > No slow down > No connection !

I guess if I really wanted to have a "finishing shot" on file , I should have put the camera down and launched an arrow off my Y25 Relayer ! > Because these two came by me inside 10 yards .

A big doe running West to East ... And yes , even deer loose their footing , in deep plowed row fields ! She fell hard , then bounced right back up and out of sight !

This doe ( or button fawn ? ) ran past me North / South ... I got a couple quick frames !

The rest of the day was fairly uneventfull .... saw some more deer / coyotes etc. > Got one of the trucks unstuck from a long lane > And made plans for tomorrow morning .
Last day of the season tomorrow, so I'm gonna focus more on the trigger and less on the shutter ! :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all that are chasing whiteteails tomorrow as our Ontario season winds down !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Boo

Re: Two "action" outings , approx 4 years apart .

Post by Boo »

Very cool deer action pics Rick!
Good luck to you tomorrow!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great pictures R.J., being a wildlife photographer can be dangerous . . .looked like you were in the line of fire in a couple of frames. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good luck to you tomorrow!
Thanks Don ... My alarm went off about 15 mins ago > Just getting mobile now .

" The things we do to put meat on the table " :lol: :lol:
Being a wildlife photographer can be dangerous ... looked like you were in the line of fire in a couple of frames.
Never in any danger ( unless the deer run me over ) :lol: :lol: I was behind trees approx 90 yards South/West of Rob H's location , and 140 yards away from Chris H. > Shooting between the trees with a 300mm lens ( gives that " close up " feeling ) :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Enjoyed the photos as always , makes me feel like I am right there ! Less the cold feet and fingers :D :lol: !
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Awesome pic's and story, and was thinking to myself as I was reading this that you should work for an outdoors kinda magazine lol then I read
being a wildlife photographer can be dangerous
lol I guess you are one. Thanks for sharing.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
wabi

Post by wabi »

Farmer wrote:Enjoyed the photos as always , makes me feel like I am right there ! Less the cold feet and fingers :D :lol: !
Almost inspires me enough to get out and try it myself....... ALMOST :wink:

Actually I'm holding off until the weekend for a muzzleloader hunt (season is Jan. 5,6,7,8). Bought a new barrel (21" fast twist for sabots) for my T/C Hawken a few years ago and still haven't killed one with it. :roll:
wabi
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

very interesting. thanks for story and pics,all you need is a net. :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

FABULOUS photos, Rick!

I love to click on your posts, knowing there are almost always filled with great images. Thanks for taking to time to share them with us here.

Happy New Year!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

There is no shortage of photos of all kinds posted on hunting forums, but those are truly the most remarkable and unique I have ever seen!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics as always R.J. Thanks for sharing them with us and good luck in the field today. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Those are 2 memorable days in the field with friends, without killin' nothin'. Goes to show it's all about the hunt rather than the kill.

Thanks for sharing RJ.

PS. Nice work on the diningroom!!!
frisky

Post by frisky »

Farmer wrote:Enjoyed the photos as always , makes me feel like I am right there ! Less the cold feet and fingers :D :lol: !
X3
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

really enjoyed the pictures. that is one beautiful farm you have there.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
secret

Post by secret »

Great photos!!! Looks like some nice bucks running around your land.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string