Vortex miss fire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

philcv

Vortex miss fire

Post by philcv »

I dont know what happened, maybe somebody on here can help me out. I was shooting my vortex today and after three or four arrows, the next time I fired the crossbow it violently jerked and the cheek piece smacked me in the jaw. Needless to say, I cannot find the arrow. Any help will be appreciated, I kind of think the arrow was not properly seated but dont know.
Woodspike

Re: Vortex miss fire

Post by Woodspike »

Sounds like a dry-fire. Limbs and string alright?

...And are you sure there was a bolt loaded? (it has been known to happen) :wink:
strum

Post by strum »

sounds like maybe a partial dry fire.. all you can do is check your limbs(cocked) with some cotton balls..give it all a lookin over and if its all good ..shoot it.
things that can cause this
1. arrow not seated properly
2. string jump over or under ther arrow
what kind of nocks and string do you have?
a pic would be helpfull too.. :D
Last edited by strum on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

sounds like either a partial or complete dry fire. it can happen if the bolt is not all the way back or if you forgot to load one.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
philcv

Post by philcv »

Thanks for the quick replies. I kind of figured it was the arrow not seated properly but needed some verification. I definetly had an arrow on the rail, had six when I started and five now. Will check the limbs with the cotton ball, good hint, everything looks ok. It was sure a wake up call.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Look for arrow between where you were and your target in ground.( with possible bottom vane damage) For different reasons sometimes string goes under arrow and causes "partial dryfire" Kinda gives you a start doesnt it.All is probably well.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I had a partial dry fire on my NOX. I'm pretty certain that arrow was all the way back. It tore off one of the vanes(not the bottom one) and it missed my rinehart block target completely. Target was at 20 yds and found my bolt 30 yds past the target. It was buried in an oak tree. The lumenok was not activated, so that makes me think that the string jumped the end of the bolt somehow.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
coop

Post by coop »

My vortex did this a lot with the flemish string and flat nocks...switched to halfmoons and all has been fine.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
philcv

Post by philcv »

Interesting posts thanks for all your vortex experience. I know it startled me, I think I had the bolt all the way back as well. If the half moon nocks are the answer I will investigate, dont want that experience again.
strum

Post by strum »

coop wrote:My vortex did this a lot with the flemish string and flat nocks...switched to halfmoons and all has been fine.
thats not normal at all...
the string should hit in the center of the arrow nock.if not either the arrow or the string is the wrong diameter.
i definitly would not switch to half moons
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

strum wrote:
coop wrote:My vortex did this a lot with the flemish string and flat nocks...switched to halfmoons and all has been fine.
thats not normal at all...
the string should hit in the center of the arrow nock.if not either the arrow or the string is the wrong diameter.
X2!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive herd flat plastic nocks can have the slip under issue. ive been shooting plastic moons for last 2 years.
strum

Post by strum »

foofoo wrote:ive herd flat plastic nocks can have the slip under issue. ive been shooting plastic moons for last 2 years.
i guess if it works for you then it works for you :D
the con of them is you have to make sure you load cockfeather down and that the nock is alined properly with the vanes..
the flats take all that out of the picture..
some guys use those flat platics just fine and some have reported problems..
i think it still comes down to where the string is hiting on the nock and i think those plastics my be less forgiving..
i personaly like the bigger string diam..and a good fat serving..and i realy like the .036 angel majesty center serving excal is using now..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
coop

Post by coop »

strum wrote:
coop wrote:My vortex did this a lot with the Flemish string and flat nocks...switched to halfmoons and all has been fine.
that's not normal at all...
The only advantage the flat nock gives is not having to watch how you load your vanes...come on I've been watching my vanes bow hunting for 35 yrs. shooting the flat nocks I had partial dryfires about every 3-4 shots using the Flemish string. None using the original string. But I want the speed, so I'll risk not watching how I load my vane which I never have had a problem in 35yrs vs a 1 and 3-4 chance of partial dry fire. There is nothing wrong with the CB that is visible, the string is in center of nock. I just believe the thinness of the Flemish string doesn't allow enough contact with the violent release of 200lbs if the arrow bounces just a little the string can slide off and under the flat nock, the halfmoon doesnt allow this, it redirects the the bounced arrow back to center string. My part-dryfires the string was hitting the bottom vane indicating the arrow was bouncing up off the rail enough for the string to slide under. I also noticed it happened more often when I shot from a rest vs shooting freehanded. This also makes me believe that using a rest hard one especially causes more bounce to arrow from forearm bouncing away from rest on release. In my opinion using the halfmoon or a capture nock is a much higher odds of me making a successful shot, at least I know my equipment will work right if I do my job of loading my arrow correctly. If I cant do that well my bad. Just like it would have been al those years bow hunting.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome