PVC Deer Feeder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

PVC Deer Feeder

Post by BryanOney »

Can anyone post a link to instructions on how to make a deer feeder out of 4 inch PVC. Also anyone ever compared shelled corn to corn mixed with molasses to see if deer prefer one over the other. Going to try some baiting for the first time ever. Thanks
j.krug

Re: PVC Deer Feeder

Post by j.krug »

I use a couple of these feeders and they work great and the deer will eat from the regularily. I don't have design pics but may have a pic of one in use in the field. As for the corn I have tried both and the deer in my area will eat the plain corn and don't even touch the corn with molasses.
Last edited by j.krug on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

go to GOOGLE & put in "PVC deer feeder" & you will get lots of information . :D
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

I don't have a picture of it but, all you do is buy a 5'-6' section of 4" pvc pipe,than buy a 90 degree elbow..put it on one end[bottom end].Then stand it up against a tree@ a slight angle..put corn in top..gravity will do the rest...{p.s.-strap top of pipe around tree so deer won't knock it over....the squirel's are gonna love you. :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Here is the pic of my feeder. It's about 5' long not including the t-post that it's mounted to. I painted it a flat camo green colour and use a cap on top to keep rain out. It holds roughly 20 lbs of corn.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I find plain corn works best, here is a pic of mine, the cubs seem to really like it. Pic's pretty well show ya how to make it, very easy to do.

or you could make this bump feeder

Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
DanO

Post by DanO »

I made the bump feeder using a plastic pail. Wow, the squirrels destroyed that plastic pail in less than two days. Can't find metal pails anymore. Use to get them from the chip wagon in my town but potatoes even come in plastic pails now.

Any ideas?
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Can you find an old milker pail? Or a metal one from a cleaning supply place?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

This is another way to have a feeder..use a clean #150 gallon drum..the kind where the lid comes off / lock's back on..cut #4 -3" hole's in the bottom of it and add corn about #100 lbs...that way you can check on it every 3-4 week's with out leaving human sent on it...a buddy in West Va. uses this method.. :)
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

rayman

Post by rayman »

Plain corn has worked the best for me of all things tried. Folks have gone to using cob corn a lot around here though because the turkeys don't mess with it.

I am running spin feeders again but would just as soon just put the corn out on the ground.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Are you sure about turkeys not liking corn? The ones in Missouri sure seem to love it. According to my trailcams I can almost set my watch by them most days.

It's a shame they never seem to show up when I call ahead to arrange a meeting :D

You can also use a 55gal drum instead of a 5 gal. They come in metal and hold about 300lb of corn which seems to last 1 to 2 months. I use a slightly different head but same concept.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

This feeder is a 10 inch pvc pipe and it holds 100lbs of corn they work great
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

here is another
tip - drill holes in the pan of the feeder and the water will drain off in the rain
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

DanO wrote: Can't find metal pails anymore. Use to get them from the chip wagon in my town but potatoes even come in plastic pails now.

Any ideas?
Dan O.
Check construction site garbage bins, we had work done to repair the cement foundation , and the product they used came in a bag inside these metal pails, so they were like new. I had a bunch of them until someone decided to "borrow" them without asking me. :x
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone