Anti-crossbow leader nailed for baiting!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peacemaker

Re: Anti-crossbow leader nailed for baiting!

Post by Peacemaker »

I have an unrelated baiting/feeding question.

Here in Virginia, it is illegal to bait or feed deer from September 1 through January 5th (2012 dates; 2013 will likely be similar).

I obviously would seek advice from counsel if and when I seek true legal advice, but I am curious as to opinions here. If I legally put out mineral licks or mineral bricks in August, am I required to remove them come September 1? The regulations and the law seem to be silent on that point.

Bow season starts in some areas (pertinent to me) around September 1, and other pertinent areas around October 6th.

Not meaning to thread jack, but this thread seems to have generally run it's course already....
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Peacemaker,
Since I hunt in Virginia your question kind of intrigued me. I hunt in Loudoun Co where the late antlerless season runs through the end of March. I read through the regulations and have came to the conclusion that they are fairly clear.

As I understand it, it is the feeding of deer that is illegal from 1 Sept through the first Saturday in January. Baiting of deer however is ALWAYS illegal in Virginia. It is illegal in Virginia "to put out bait or salt for the purpose of taking or killing any wild game bird or wild game animal".

If you put out a salt lick in August, it will need to either be removed before deer season or you had better not get caught hunting near it. If the Game Warden finds an unoccupied but baited location during the season they will likely send a letter to the landowner advising them to cease placing the attracting substance. Failure to cease would then be a violation. Hunting near it at all would also be a violation.

I agree that its an odd line they have drawn. The expressly allow the planting of wildlife food plots and hunting over them is fine. Hunting over any typical agricultural food source (corn field, pea patch, etc) is also quite legal.

I have no idea what those pallets and pallets of deer corn sold at the local Walmart are being used for. I'm certain it must be for all the backyard squirrel feeders. :roll:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Jkrug, you are not alone, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

awshucks wrote:Jkrug, you are not alone, lol.
:D :lol: :D :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.. ;)

To me , this kind of throws doubt on every deer he has ever killed and with what hunting tool..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]