Long Armed Shooters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Long Armed Shooters

Post by vixenmaster »

Lets start with the new Matrix looks like a Winner! Spect it is too, fer short to med. sized n arm lengthed ppl. The long armed will find out that its jus a tad squished up fer them. I am talkin those ppl. whom be 6' plus tall. Thats why i think the other models will continue to be made! There still is the need to cover all the ppl.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
taz3

Re: Long Armed Shooters

Post by taz3 »

I could be wrong, but I think they only shortened the rail forward of the trigger, so it should be the same length at the stock as previous models. I'm not a big guy at all at 5'8" and have the 1" stock extender on my Xbow, it is just feels more comfortable for me.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I agree ! I,m a big guy 6-3 long everything , well almost! an when I carried the short little light vixen hunting for the first time it was all over for the longer heavier faster bows for me. I,ll give up some speed for a much easier to carry an shorter bow to hunt with from my stands!!! an would love to have a matrix!!!
BigBadJohn

Post by BigBadJohn »

Count me in for a shorter, lighter bow. I'm between 6'4" and 6'5" with a LOONNNGGGG arm (38" sleeve length). I love my IBEX SMF. It's only a BIT bigger than the Vixen II. Keeping the bow short gets the center of mass closer to the shooter's body, making it feel lighter than it is, and therefore, makes it more maneuverable as well. BBJ
Last edited by BigBadJohn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I wish that I would have bought the Exomax instead of the Equinox. I find that the traditional stocks fits me better than the thumb-hole stock. If I could trade the Equinox for an Exomax I would. I would like a shorter and narrower Excalibur. If the Matrix is the same length as the Vixen, I will never buy one. It would be a worse fit than the Equinox. I am interested in handling one as soon as the store in my location brings one in. That is the only true way for me to know if the Matrix fits me or not.
Raymond
Bones

Post by Bones »

I found the matrix shoulder's or feel's much like the nox , if not the same. I have an Exo 200 and prefer the extra length of pull that the lets say " traditional" stock give's. A matrix will be in my lineup soon and I either get use to the feel or put an extender on it. Doe's anyone know if the existing stock extender's fit the matrix ? My guess would be yes ?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well once again i have made a Thread or posted on someone else's & have made another blunder. Seems long armed ppl. love short crossbows! Time i stop tryin to give advice to ppl. & jus need to fall into the readin end. Newer engineerin members that have good idea's. I will jus make strings n shoot varmits
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t see any blunders just a lot of different opinions from all us odd balls (old odd balls!) I use to have an use mostly all long and heavy barrel rifles but now with getting older it,s light an short if I got to carry it!
joe171

Post by joe171 »

vixenmaster wrote:Well once again i have made a Thread or posted on someone else's & have made another blunder. Seems long armed ppl. love short crossbows! Time i stop tryin to give advice to ppl. & jus need to fall into the readin end. Newer engineerin members that have good idea's. I will jus make strings n shoot varmits
Keep posting Mike No Harm No Foul you were just trying to help
Myself like Masboy am tall 6ft 3 in but not as tall as Big John few are LOL
I don't like a short bows I need stock extenders on my Middleton bows and I had to retrofit an Excal stock extender to add length
as wel lon my Relayer Y25 I hand to made an oak stock extender same on my Paradox bow
The reason for the stock extenders is get the eye re leaf needed as most scopes today offer 4 inches and that is designed for a center fire rifle witch has a longer stock Now the exception is CMAX Scopes witch has 1 1/2 inches of eye re leaf for me I need to get the scope further from my eye and with a short stock I can not acquire proper sight picture when I put my head in the cheek piece

Sorry For The OT But I thought this is reverent to the post :oops: :oops: :oops:

Joe171
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D i don't know how the matrix would be? i have shot my wife's vixen ll and felt cramped, it feel's more comfortable shooting my axiom,vortex's,they both have the ex-tends on them.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Just over six foot one and had no problem with the Vixen 2.

Maybe also it depends on shooting style and length of scope/eye relief.

For me, shorter stocks work.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

vixenmaster wrote:Well once again i have made a Thread or posted on someone else's & have made another blunder. Seems long armed ppl. love short crossbows! Time i stop tryin to give advice to ppl. & jus need to fall into the readin end. Newer engineerin members that have good idea's. I will jus make strings n shoot varmits
If long-armed guys love short crossbow, that's ironic, since I'm a little guy (5'6") and the thumbhole stocks don't fit me well. I had a Vortex and could not sell it fast enough. I love the LOP of the traditional stocks.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I don't see a problem with your first post? I was seeing this thread as a good peaceful opinionated , and constructive posting. We all like something different ? I got long arm's and like a decent LOP on my weapon's.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Everything would seem like a long length of pull compared to the old Barnett Commando`s . :shock:
I`m one of those hairless apes I prefer the traditional stock . No hair on these knuckles . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Big John

Post by Big John »

Nothing wrong with your post. But I might add my two cents since I have a New Matrix. Yes I am quite tall, but, Having had all the Excals, the Exomax and Equinox were hard on my crooked messed up back because it was always the last two inch's that killed me. I learned a technique that used my arm strength instead of my back and made do no problem. I simply bent my knee's a bit and fully cocked the bow with one even doublearm pull. The New Matrix having a much shorter LOP quickly locks into the trigger catch just before you think the hurt is going to come. :) A little hard to explain, but it is easier than the previous 225 lb. models. Especially for long armed Gorrilla's like me. :lol:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]