Adjustable Cheek Rest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mcgyvermark

Adjustable Cheek Rest

Post by mcgyvermark »

I originally purchased my Exocet with an Excalibur cheek piece and although it is a wonderful little cheek rest, my line of sight was a good inch low of the center of the scope when I was settled into a comfortable cheek weld. The same was true of the foam pipe insulation trick discussed elsewhere on the forum.

After some research I decided to bite the bullet (carbon shaft?) and buy a commercial cheek rest made for rifle stocks. It is quite ugly but it is functionally gorgeous.
Using a couple of shims made out of 3/4" resin board the cheek rest fits the Excalibur stock wonderfully and gives me the height I've been needing for solid alignment with the reticule .
There are couple of versions of this available on the market. This one is made out of Kydex material that has some texture molded in that provides a nice surface for a cheek weld plus it is shipped with a patch neoprene foam that can be glued on if preferred. It also comes with the necessary hardware and 1/4" drill.
ImageImage

Although I will probably change out the thumb screws with the included low profile Allen screws once I'm done playing around with the adjustment, I find that I can still shoot either right or left handed without the thumb screws interfering when set at this height.

Prior to drilling holes in the stock I jammed some camping mattress pad foam under the rest and this allowed me to test fit the rest for the best location front to back.
When installing these on rifles, the location is critical to ensure there is room to operate and remove the bolt action. On the Excalibur one needs to be a little more careful to remove the cocking rope between the reduced gap between the scope and cheek rest but it is not really a problem. I am suspicious that it could interfere with C2 cranking aid though.

I'm sure a different material could be used between the stock and rest for a neater installation but I used what I had at the moment.

For others like me, who have a facial bone structure that begs for a higher cheek rest than what the Excalibur rest provides, I highly recommend trying one of these, of course you are on your own when drilling holes in your stock. :( Maybe Excalibur could develop one of their own (lighter installation and camo pattern!)

Between this cheek rest and Excalibur's stock extension (which I recently added), it is like shooting a whole new bow. I'm hoping this will take my mind off the Matrix for awhile. :wink:
Exocet
S5
strum

Re: Adjustable Cheek Rest

Post by strum »

I think it a pretty neat rig you got there man...
i like the adjustability of it
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D that looks good, great job!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

good job! most defiantly a need for an Excalibur adj. cheek piece! I been using them on trap guns for years.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Nice work ... McGyver indeed. :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Well done. Very ingeneous and it looks great. If you don't care for the black you could probably get it camo dipped to match your bow a bit better. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Nice job, try painting the wood blocks black it may clean up the look a bit
2012 Equinox
Shadow Zone w/ flip up scope covers
Fire Bolts w/ Blazer vanes
G5 Montecs
G5 SGH
S5 String Dampeners
Tac-pac
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

tag for reference
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Looks like a nice mod..As long as it works for you. Good job
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Excellent thread, thank you very much for posting this with the fantastic pictures. I've looked at this before but was hesitant to pull the trigger. I think now may be the time for my "upcoming new unveiling!" :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

thats very cool, i like it!
Perforator

Post by Perforator »

I made one for mine too but a tad different.
I took a piece of thin walled white PVC pipe, I think 1", and cut a slit in it to fit over the bulge in the stock. Just enough to get the pipe to be a snug fit when you slide it over the stock.

Then cut some of that brown foam hot water pipe insulation to fit.
Some spray on contact cement on the pipe and the foam and join them.
You could add more foam if needed but I found a single layer worked just fine.
One thing about this foam - duct tape grabs and holds on forever.
Shave off any sharp corners of the foam so the tape can go round corners smoothly.
I covered it with a layer of camo duct tape and I'm very pleased how well it turned out.
It's not adjustable so get it right before you tape it up.
Poor pic but if there's any interest I could take some better ones.

Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Nice work! Love the creativity and how you made it work for you!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers