Matrix 355 -Cocking Effort

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheTinker

Matrix 355 -Cocking Effort

Post by TheTinker »

Hi all, I started to haunt this forum a couple weeks ago when I got the modern crossbow bug. Just received my new Matrix 355 yesterday in (as stated elsewhere) a very small box. My purchasing concern was about the cocking effort required on this bad boy. Before I ordered it I was able to find a Phoenix and the 175# pull was surprisingly light; so I figured another 65# -what the hey! I liked the new design and I had to have one. Crossbows are new to me although archery and all sorts of firearms have been with me at some point all of my life.
...Anyway to the 'meat' of the topic; As soon as I got it together I put the rope cocker no it, gave a grunt and "bingo" it was cocked. BEAUTIFUL form and function. Glad I didn't get the 380 -full enchalada- but, the 355 was a doable effort for an old-guy in the 70's.
You younger whipper-snappers should not let a 240# pull intimidate you :lol:
mr meat

Re: Matrix 355 -Cocking Effort

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the bow! anymore thoughts on the bow!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Nothing else to add at this moment. As I said before, it is an impressive piece of engineering. I think Troubridge may have outdone himself on the Matrix series :wink:
Actually, I can't do anything for awhile as I found an (Excalibur) scope ring screw that holds the caps on was buggered-up. Being the chronic perfectionist, I will not force the buggered steel screw into the threaded aluminum base. I wonder what size the screw is? Thought it was an 8x32 but apparently it is a metric.. I am currently S.O.L.
Sooo, will have to call Monday for a replacement part.

The quality of the rest of the stuff makes this a manageable inconvenience :mrgreen:
Last edited by TheTinker on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

740 483 2312
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Thanks BOO :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Post a pic of the ring w/ boogered screw, I've got a slew of rings in the shop, all one of this and that, will send you a few to try..........
"Eze 18:21"
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

awshucks; Your offer is most generous. I have rifle rings but all have 6x48 threads. This is the largest screw I have seen in a scope ring yet. Maybe the Chinese used a bigger screw to help prevent stripping in the aluminum ring base threads/ it has two in each ring set instead of four. :?
I'll post a pix as you asked, but I will pass for the moment as I am going to call Danny Miller in the morning and hopefully they will warranty replace one of the ring sets.Image
An SAE #8 should have a diameter of .164. This is .151 even though it has a 36 thread per inch pitch. And a Allan Head socket for a .118 (3mm). I guess Metrics are commonplace in Canada, but here they screw with my mind :mrgreen:
Thanks again and I will give you a 'hey' if'n Excal cannot help me out.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Super drawing! All of my rings are junk for one reason or another, too many single ring projects I've fooled w/.

I just returned a set like yours, dang it. I could have filched a screw [and fessed up]........
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Monday Morning:
Contacted Danny Miller and as has been said elsewhere; "First class factory rep." A new set of rings will be in the USPS today! Who could ask for better service?
EXCALIBUR COULD HAVE NOT HAVE A BETTER PRODUCT REPRESENTATIVE IN THE USA THAN DANNY :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You've now been 'Millerized'. :mrgreen:

Hey, tell us about the xbow in your avatar?
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

TheTinker wrote:EXCALIBUR COULD HAVE NOT HAVE A BETTER PRODUCT REPRESENTATIVE IN THE USA THAN DANNY :D
At first I thought all the talk about Miller was too good to be true... But, spend five minutes talking to the man, and you know he's the real deal.
Not only does he back up Excal's product without question, he's also one heck of a nice guy.

Glad to hear your rings are on their way! :)
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

What a dumb butt... Heaping the Kudos on Excalibur and Danny Miller and I screw it up :oops:
Was supposed to say, "EXCALIBUR COULD HAVE NOT HAD A BETTER PRODUCT REPRESENTATIVE IN THE USA THAN DANNY :D" Sorry Danny!
awshucks wrote:You've now been 'Millerized'. :mrgreen:

Hey, tell us about the xbow in your avatar?
It is a Medieval bow I built a couple years ago from a chunk of curly maple left over from building this:(.60 caliber smooth bore rifle)Image

If you want to see more pix's of the xbow be glad to share them. It was a fun project :wink:
strum

Post by strum »

Yes Yes we what some pics :!: sounds interesting
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

strum wrote:Yes Yes we what some pics :!: sounds interesting
Here are a couple for starters:

More details if anyone interested. Bolt is hickory with maple flight fin.
Last edited by TheTinker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Damn nice work! :)

What materials did you use for the nut and socket?