Shipping a scope to Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lucky-Dog

Shipping a scope to Canada

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Is it ok to ship a scope from US to Canada ?
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
one shot scott

Re: Shipping a scope to Canada

Post by one shot scott »

I have read that it is not.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

I got one from a us distributor and no questions asked. Just put sporting goods if you need to declare it and your good in my mind.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You may slip it by the border if they don't inspect it, but if they do and the paper trail isn't completed then they may ship it back to the seller, or worse, keep it. Not worth the headache!

Do your research before attempting it. I'm not sure if crossbow scopes are a grey area or they are all equal in their eyes.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TPM

Post by TPM »

Just like ammunition it's all about American export laws, not Canadian import laws. If the seller in the U.S. has the proper permits and paper work to export the scope then it's fine but even then a lot of businesses won't do it. If it's a private seller then it's probably not legal.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

The Canadian border could care less, its a US Export law that can get you and especially the shipper in serious problems unless the shipper has an export license.
You will hear people say "I've done it, and no problems " and they will not be lying, but if you get caught say good bye to your border crossing privileges and the shipper will be in a whole heap of problems, personally I rather pay more money here than take the chance.
As I mentioned yesterday on another thread, i know this true when concerning RIFLE scopes, not crossbow scope, but i cannot see it being any different, but you should make a call or two to find out.
Oh, and in case you wonder how you can get caught if you drive over and bring it back, the US has been stopping cars before they get to the Canadian border for spot checks, both my buddy and my parents were stopped last year just before the Canadian border.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
TPM

Post by TPM »

Oh, and in case you wonder how you can get caught if you drive over and bring it back, the US has been stopping cars before they get to the Canadian border for spot checks, both my buddy and my parents were stopped last year just before the Canadian border.
They are also randomly flagging scope and ammo purchases made in the U.S. by Canadian credit cards and waiting for the people at the border.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

In my area of the woods they work 9-5 on some days and not on weekends....just saying.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

My friend bought an Equinox off ebay shipped to the U.S then brought back over, fully declared at the border, no questions asked, she did get dinged for her 30 pack of watered down beer though :lol:
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

IH8ATTN wrote:My friend bought an Equinox off ebay shipped to the U.S then brought back over, fully declared at the border, no questions asked, she did get dinged for her 30 pack of watered down beer though :lol:

I think you may have missed the point that others were trying to make.

It's not the Canadian customs that is the concern. It's what can happen BEFORE you get to the Canadian side of the border. The USA has some tough export laws on what can be taken OUT of the USA. You will be in a world of hurt if you run afoul of export laws.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Just spend your money in Canada. I growup in Windsor, now ST Thomas and travel/traveled to the US anytime we were in Windsor. When we came back for a vist. Never ever really found things any better or cheaper.
Theres no BS then. damn I have a military ID card that I use to travel over. And I get a lot more respect more than in Canada, but still get( where you going, what are you here for BLa Bla).
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Well thank you for all the help. I originally asked if it was ok to ship it but what I didn't tell you is that it has already been shipped. We are worried and wanted to see some responses on this issue. My wife shipped it from USPS and when I happen to come across the info on a google search somehow I couldn't believe it. I was surfing the net when I came across the information by accident. She is very upset about it as well am I. We never thought in a million years that shipping something like arrows, quiver, and crossbow scope across the border could possibly be illegal. They asked her what was in the box and she told them and even wrote it down. I would have thought that if it were illegal that they would have told her. She didn't want me to say anything but I cant see where its going to hurt at this point.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

This was a posting that I made covering this very subject a couple of years ago.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 01#p266901

Hope it makes it through without incident as the proverbial cat is already out of the bag now.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Bones

Post by Bones »

Find this a little baffling ?? I know cabelas won't ship scope's to Canada but I did buy 2 from 1 store let's say eastern U.S and a third direct from the manufacturer , I think central U.S last spring with zero problem's ??? Had both order's in the 9-12 day mark ??
TPM

Post by TPM »

Bones, scopes can be shipped from the U.S. to Canada if the shipper has the proper permits to do so. Many commercial businesses have these permits. It's the private sales that are a little more diffucult if not impossible.
Last edited by TPM on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger