R.E.D.S. for Matrix355 -the learning curve-

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woodspike

Re: R.E.D.S. on Matrix355

Post by Woodspike »

JT of PA wrote:Tinker,

I am not mechanical like you; however, I am enjoying this thread.

Could you explain in layman terms what you are doing with this project?

What are you trying to improve on?

If you have the time ... thanks.

All the best.

haha. I'm as lost as you are... Just hoping for photos once it's finished.
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Not trying to improve on anything. I am retired and just like to build things myself if I can. A guy like that and a metal lathe with a limited amount of tooling can drive a lot of people crazy :lol:

Here is what I have in mind: The holes in the Matrix accept a .310 pin gauge (as I recall) and have a set screw hole on the bottom of the yoke. With a lathe the brass ball can be chucked in a 3-jaw and a hole bored on center about half-three-quarters through it, probably about the same diameter as the rod that fits into the xbow yoke. Maybe make the pin of brass, or leaded steel, guessing the string strikes center on it so as not to bend/tweek it; and turning a simple collar on the shaft instead of the frilly body lines BOO's photo shows. I am a big believer of an epoxy called MarineTex that is harder than the hubs of hell, making threading and tapping in this case unnecessary. Would MarineTex the square rod end into the brass ball. Cut the assembly to the proper length, chemically blacken the brass and set it in place with the set screw. Done :!:

The MSRP for the old-style pair like BOO has shown is $69.99. I saw the replacement bumpers advertised for $15. I can build what I said for <$25 so that should be worth my efforts. I have no idea what Excal is going to sell the Matrix REDS version for. Even though they are much simpler to make, I would guess they will be about the same as the earlier model. To many a waste of time; to me, it is entertainment.. notice my handle, "The Tinker"..
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Thanks Tinker.

It sounds like your trying to replicate the S5 accessory for your crossbow.

Reading the body of your post between you and Boo I thought there was a bit of trying to improve the S5 design.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise with us all.

All the best.
Last edited by JT of PA on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I'm quite enjoying this thread too. I think Tinker is trying to make his own S5 string stopper. Wish I had the mechanical knowledge that some of our forum members possess.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
secret

Post by secret »

I just seen a set of S5 string stopper at Gandermountain for 20.00$ i think that would be way cheaper than trying to make one.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Are you guys saying that the string stopper Boo pictured will not fit a MATRIX 355? I haven't got mine yet but already own a bumper set that I hoped would fit.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Mister B wrote:Are you guys saying that the string stopper Boo pictured will not fit a MATRIX 355? I haven't got mine yet but already own a bumper set that I hoped would fit.
I have a 380 and I just compared an S5 off of my Axiom and they will not work "as they are".
Nothing matches up...
strum

Post by strum »

Tinker, i know some would say ..just go buy some man..
but not me..if you have the time and enjoy making things then i say do it..
you will learn a little on the way and may hit on an improvement ..
keep us posted on yer progress..

i havnt held a matrix yet but when i look at the pics it almost looks as if the string hits on the high side of the bumpers..maybe someone who owns one will post a closup to help you out..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

strum wrote:Tinker, i know some would say ..just go buy some man..
but not me..if you have the time and enjoy making things then i say do it..
you will learn a little on the way and may hit on an improvement ..
keep us posted on yer progress..

i havnt held a matrix yet but when i look at the pics it almost looks as if the string hits on the high side of the bumpers..maybe someone who owns one will post a closup to help you out..
That's just the way the picture looks,The string centers the bumper dead on.
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

secret wrote:I just seen a set of S5 string stopper at Gandermountain for 20.00$ i think that would be way cheaper than trying to make one.
Please refer me to the link at Gander. Only thing I can find is for a Parker and is $49.99.

Realize the stopper is two parts; the metal base and the rubber bumper. The bumper set can be found for $15. The S5 mounts as shown in BOO's picture, an adaptation to the yoke. The matrix has a set of .310" holes with set screws. They would require a straight rod to plug into them. Unfortunately, I have not been privileged to an 'eyes on' take of the actual Matrix assembly so I am ad libbing. An S5 steel mount will not fit a Matrix yoke. Other postings have confirmed that the rubber bumpers on the S5 and the Matrix 380 are the same; which only makes sense from a manufacturing/supply standpoint.

Excalibur's own Accessories/R.E.D.S. states: "What you're looking for does not yet exist". From that I would assume that probably if the factory can not supply an accessory, a dealer would not have the product available :idea: :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tinker, I think you should turn on your email and of PM feature.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Boo wrote:Tinker, I think you should turn on your email and of PM feature.
DONE..
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Poot! I was hoping it would Fit..Thanks Shooter. Now I may be doing what Tinker is doing and modify...modify...modify.. Someone post some pics so I can see how you guys are modifying the S5
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Mister B wrote:Poot! I was hoping it would Fit..Thanks Shooter. Now I may be doing what Tinker is doing and modify...modify...modify.. Someone post some pics so I can see how you guys are modifying the S5
Mr B, BOO pointed me elsewhere for a different style string stopper that mounts on a straight shank. A ball is not easy for everyone to fashion on a shaft. Here is how that string stopper would be fashioned.
January 30; THIS SKETCH WAS A PROTOTYPE IDEA. THE PHOTO SHOWN ON PAGE#3 OF THIS THREAD IS MUCH BETTER -for reasons later noted.

The string on my Matrix 355 is dead-center on the riser hole. My pin gauge indicates a .310 receptacle hole in the riser/yoke. The stopper/bumper requires a 3/8 rod (.375) so the rod has to be turned down on the riser end. A drum of undetermined diameter and length would slide over the 3/8 rod. As I understand it with the bumper slid over the 3/8 rod and the .310 rod slid into the hole on the riser the bumper must contact the drum (ledge) and be bottomed-out on the rod. Thus, the impact is distributed over the bumper's face and base at the same time.
I am now thinking that a Delrin rod might be turned to make a one piece unit :?: , or a drum over the metal rod could be as simple as a few washers over the rod.
The set screw keeps the assembly locked into the riser.
I think I read somewhere that BOO said a penny should fit between the string and the bumper when adjusted properly..
Hope that helps Mr B :)

Norway Industries #974293 The only thing that chafes my arse is paying $8.90 S&H on something that would mail in a letter envelope. $22.90 Total for the rubber bumpers. Call me "cheap"!!
Last edited by TheTinker on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Thanks Tink, I will work on it and get back to you as soon as I have something to show.
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)