Freak SlickTrick Broadhead happening

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mister B

Freak SlickTrick Broadhead happening

Post by Mister B »

Here is one I am still scratching my head over. I shot a doe with my new Ibex with a SlickTrick BH. Saw the arrow enter the boilermaker and watched the deer go down within forty yards. Waited a while and headed to tag her. Well, here is where things got weird. I pulled my arrow from the ground and there was no broadhead or insert in the shaft......but there was at least 2 inches of fresh dirt packed inside the shaft. Followed a broad blood trail to the deer and found a perfect "plus" entry and exit and blood everywhere. The arrow had the broadhead on the shaft when it entered but when it exited it didn't. Any thoughts as to what happened. I still haven't found the broadhead and dug pretty deep.. As I said, I am still scratching my head.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
VixChix

Re: Freak SlickTrick Broadhead happening

Post by VixChix »

When the arrow slowed down on passing through the deer, the forward momentum in the broadhead let the insert pull out. We've seen this happen in 3D - inserts (with field points) continue flying after the arrow is stopped. Check your glue for your remaining arrows. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Thanks, I will do that.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

It would be interesting to see how far the head goes after the arrow slows down.
mark 10 :13
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A 4 blade bullet. :shock:
Just be careful it isn't in the body cavity, that would be a rude awakining finding that with your hands.
Used to have that problem when I shot Rocket Broadheads, they had a habit of leaving a blade or two behind.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

+ in + out it should be together & traveling faster than the shaft, which has more drag.
mark 10 :13
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Have any friends with a metal detector ? ... Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Mister B wrote: The arrow had the broadhead on the shaft when it entered but when it exited it didn't. Any thoughts as to what happened. I still haven't found the broadhead and dug pretty deep.. As I said, I am still scratching my head.
I think the broadhead would tumble once it left the arrow and it sounds like this happened after the exit.
Look between where the deer was standing and the spot where the arrow hit the ground.
Once the broadhead lost the guidance and weight of the shaft it likely just bounced along the ground.
A buddy with a metal detector would find it pretty quickly.
jmo
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
ohioexocetfan

Post by ohioexocetfan »

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me in Nov. Shot a nice 9 point at 15 yards broadside. I was laying on the ground with Exocet on a small bi-pod. Shot buck right thru the armpit, watched luminock bounce on other side of buck. He went 50 yards and crashed. Found arrow and just like you described... no insert, no broadhead (Shwacker 100g). I looked all over that plowed field and never did find that broadhead! I thought I must be losing it until I read your post! Thanks for sharing
THE ORIGINAL
Exocet 200
100g 1" Slick Tricks
GTII w/ 2" Blazer vanes
Boo "Ohio State" string

THE UPGRADE
Matrix 380
Hawke Pro 30
100g 2" Swhackers
18" Executioners w/ 2" Blazers
Mike Collins string
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Saw this happen also in 3 D shooting when the arrow passes through one side of the animal and the arrow stops and the insert and field point fly off, that sudden stop of the arrow must jerk it loose.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads