Snuffbox's custom stock build

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Snuffbox's custom stock build

Post by agingcrossbower »

First I want to say that this is the way I build a stock. It is not by any means to only way of building one and constructive idea are allways welcome. I'd like to thank Bill T. for letting me do this and Paul for letting me use his stock on the build. Any blood use in the making of this build will be my own and no animals blood was use on this build. :lol: In other words, lets have some fun.
Paul has already chosen a great blank of black walnut with mild flowing lines.
I have already made the two large sides flat and parallel. I did that by taking a straight edging on the concave side and taking down the ends with a sander until that side was flat. Next I ran the blank through my planer to make it parallel and flat. Now a person can take it to the jointer and make one small surfacr square and straight. Here are the pics.

flightattendant100

Re: Snuffbox's custom stock build

Post by flightattendant100 »

Mike, what size blank do you usually start with?
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Cool. I am curious by his name he has and waiting to see if a compartment is going to be in it to hold his tobacco snuff. :lol: Curious minds want to know!
agingcrossbower

flightattendant100 wrote:Mike, what size blank do you usually start with?
I do not like to go any smaller than 2 1/8 thick by 7 1/2 wide and 30" long. Thickness and width could be more just for room to play. You lose when you straighten it out. And, I must have it as straight as possible for future measurements.
agingcrossbower

wheelie wrote:Cool. I am curious by his name he has and waiting to see if a compartment is going to be in it to hold his tobacco snuff. :lol: Curious minds want to know!
Now I'm curious. I think Paul is sleeping right now in England but hopefully he will chime in. :lol:
strum

Post by strum »

very nice looking piece of walnut..is this going to be a thumb hole?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
agingcrossbower

strum wrote:very nice looking piece of walnut..is this going to be a thumb hole?
Its a Phoenix but we are changing trigger to a thumbhole and Snuff is elongating the hole to match it up. Paul is a tinkerer and a good one at that. :D
Stan, he is also going to have the forearm moved way back which should be interesting. I am eager to start this one for him.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

wheelie wrote:Cool. I am curious by his name he has and waiting to see if a compartment is going to be in it to hold his tobacco snuff. :lol: Curious minds want to know!
Not in bed yet ,its only 5:45 in the evening here,were about 5 hours ahead of you :D
I have a variety of snuffboxes that I use,nothing of any value,just different woods that have a different feel to them.
Some are only a couple of years old and others are very old.
strum

Post by strum »

agingcrossbower wrote:
strum wrote:very nice looking piece of walnut..is this going to be a thumb hole?
Its a Phoenix but we are changing trigger to a thumbhole and Snuff is elongating the hole to match it up. Paul is a tinkerer and a good one at that. :D
Stan, he is also going to have the forearm moved way back which should be interesting. I am eager to start this one for him.
i was goint to try that same thing a while back(and never did)
I talked with miller about it ..he sent me a trigger and gave me the advice i needed...i dont remember him sayin i had to elongate the hole..which hole are you talking about?
i think the rear mount hole is in a different place so i knew i would have to drill and tap that one in the rail..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

This is going to be a great thread, its awesome to to see the transformation of a block of wood to a beautiful stock.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
agingcrossbower

Bullzeye wrote:This is going to be a great thread, its awesome to to see the transformation of a block of wood to a beautiful stock.
crap, you people keep me young. Its important, very important to be grabbing for things instead of holding down a recliner and getting old. As a friend would say, NO thank you. :D
strum

Post by strum »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:This is going to be a great thread, its awesome to to see the transformation of a block of wood to a beautiful stock.
crap, you people keep me young. Its important, very important to be grabbing for things instead of holding down a recliner and getting old. As a friend would say, NO thank you. :D
stop surfin and start grinding man...time is tickin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

agingcrossbower wrote:
You can kill a healthy man by putting him on his ass,It is important to move around.
I see you have a shop dog...im breaking me in a new friend to keep me company..so far noise dont bother her and she dont ask me any questions and dont get in my way like most people would :lol:
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D i paint for a living, working with wood is not one of my talents. it's great to see a master at work.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Well,we got a few people fired up over this and its great to see how much interest it's generated.
This is going to be a bit of an interesting journey and I so pleased that it will be shared by so many interested parties.
Over the past few weeks I've come to the conclusion that I'm one lucky geezer and owning one of Mikes stocks will actually be a privilege .
Thanks