Thank you "Smokepole" Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seporith

Thank you "Smokepole" Matrix 380

Post by seporith »

I had contacted "Smokepole" to ask if he was doing strings for the Matrix and he replied that he was working on one. He later asked me how long the string was to which I sent the measurements of the limbs. He asked if I would test them for him & after I admitted to him that I don't have a chrono I expected that someone else would get the honors and understandably so. To my surprise a couple weeks later he contacted me that the string was done & sent her over. The string proved to be just a pinch too short full out and upon telling the bad news & sending pics I knew that was the end of my test days!! Not to be outdone Smokepole took the new info and not only made the 2nd one the right length but knocked the ball out of the park in the looks dept. I don't have my camera with me but here are a couple pics of his work. I want to thank Smokepole for allowing me the pleasure of getting to test this out and for making the Matrix a whole lot better looking as well. Will report as soon as I can get her to the range. Anthony Also; There is one pic that shows a 20" arrow with a 100gr Magnus Stinger for those wondering about 20" arrows in the 380 Matrix.ImageImageImageImage
Raymond

Re: Thank you "Smokepole" Matrix 380

Post by Raymond »

What is all those pieces of string dragging off of your string? Is there a reason why you have them on your string?
Raymond
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Raymond wrote:What is all those pieces of string dragging off of your string? Is there a reason why you have them on your string?
Raymond
The strands of serving material are tied on to keep the splice from untwisting... Usually removed once the string is twisted up and installed.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

would you have prefered the serving cover the string where the s5s hit?
seporith

Post by seporith »

thestuz wrote:would you have prefered the serving cover the string where the s5s hit?
As I haven't shot her with this string yet I can't say for certain but will give Smokepole all the info that I get from doing so. Anthony
mowerman

Post by mowerman »

I use those strings to tie on cat whiskers. They seem to be in a perfect position for that purpose. I am sure that they also help keep the string together until it is on the xbow and stretched. This may not be right, but that is what I use them for.
I will also state that Mike is one of the kindest, most helpful people I have met.
He is too cheap on his strings, but he makes them basically to help people out.
When I first got my Equinox, he sent me a Fastflight string he had already made up until he had time to make the two that I ordered.
He makes great strings - I have four or five of them. He will also reserve them if and when the serving wears out.
Mike is one of the the great people that frequent this forum. I am grateful that I have dealt with him and will certainly continue to do so.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

That looks like a well made string.

The only thing different I would do, if I was making it, would be to make it shorter; that way it wouldn't need as many twists to obtain the proper brace height.

Also, I would make the serving long enough to reach the end of the the R.E.D.S/S5 pads. By doing so, in my opinion, it would increase the longevity of both the string and the pads, and possibly reduce noise and vibration.

But what do I know. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Nice String Seporith ... thanks for sharing with us.

Big John

Post by Big John »

Not to bad. :) But I would have to agree with Lou (Comfybear) on this one. Makes a good difference. :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That is a fine looking string!
I serve my strings so the serving is half on, and half off the bumpers.
This string has thousands of shots on it (as do the bumpers), there is absolutely no wear on the string from the contact with the rubber. Longevity is not an issue.
Keeping lots of "twists" in the string keeps it strong, a tad heavier, but strong. I think of it like a rope.
I just reserved it for a hunt, more out of boredom than necessity though.
Key to keeping a string in great shape, no wax.
I shoot this bow almost every day, rain or shine.
You can keep the serving where it sits and enjoy the shooting..

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string