Locating the position of your cock vane (dyanamic spine)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Locating the position of your cock vane (dyanamic spine)

Post by Boo »

I've been asked by a few people to show them how to locate the spine of an arrow so here goes. Below is the setup. I have 3 automotive pilot bearings that have the seals and grease removed. Two have been epoxied onto some blocks so the outer races do not move. Total cost is probably about $20.00. The center bearing is not mounted but is to be pushed down while rotating the shaft. Keep the bearings clean and free of any debris.
While rotating the shaft you will feel a lump. That lump is the stiffest spot of the shaft and is called the spine.
Keep rotating the shaft and you may find a second spine or lump. Most times you find a second spine it is different in how it feels. The stiffest one is called the major spine.
Once you have found the spine(s) keep rotating and you'll find where the shaft wants to sit when you are pushing down on the shaft with the middle bearing. This is the softest section of the shaft and it is where I mark the position of the cock feather.
How hard do you push? Hard enough to know get the shaft to "lump" over when rotating the shaft.
Accuracy is all about consistency and once you have located your cock feathers in relationship to the spine you have a more accurate arrow.
This exercise will not help you kill more deer. It may help in getting better scores on targets and maybe turkeys at longer distances.

Static spine is measuring how much the shaft bends under load. The tool used to measure spines are not expensive to make and are widely available. In order to use a spine tester so you can match or sort arrows in spine category you have to locate the spine first. A spine tester can be made by building something that holds one end a bit above level and adding a weight to the free end. Measuring the deflection will indicate the stiffness of the arrow which is measuring the spine. The same can be done in the center. But you have to be consistently in the center.
Make sure you have the cock feather position up.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Re: Locating the position of your cock vane

Post by secret »

Boo, Great way!!! I wrap a piece of tape around shaft, about half way up. I put my front insert[glued in] holding the shaft and flexing it on a hard surface and rotating the shaft the shaft will snap always back to the spine.then take a sharpie and mark a line. thats where i always put my cock feather. Thats the same way i find the spine when i build fishing rods.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Boo

Post by Boo »

secret wrote:Boo, Great way!!! I wrap a piece of tape around shaft, about half way up. I put my front insert[glued in] holding the shaft and flexing it on a hard surface and rotating the shaft the shaft will snap always back to the spine.then take a sharpie and mark a line. thats where i always put my cock feather. Thats the same way i find the spine when i build fishing rods.
Yep, that's from the fishing rod building days! I think you'll find this more precise especially when dealing with dual spines.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

All I know is if that,s how Don done the ones he sent me it works ! now that makes me want to take one apart an try that sometime an see if I can come up with the same to match his mark ? would be a lot easier than all my fletching an shooting for sure!

Post by newbie »

Dons trick works great! I have been playing around this weekend with some bearings. cheap fast and easy to set up. Thanks Don!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
joe171

Post by joe171 »

looks like you have a winner there I like the simplicity of the design
question are these bearings readily available what is the ID .& OD of the bearings
I have 2219 alm as well as .300 carbon
the 2 mounting blocks what are the made of they look like cutting board material as my wife has many I may borrow 1 lol
Hester0305

Re: Locating the position of your cock vane (dyanamic spine)

Post by Hester0305 »

Don this is a lot of help for people who wants to play around with getting the best out of an arrow. Very simple and easy to use great job and thanks for sharing.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads

Post by newbie »

i just went to an industrial supply and got three 1/2" inside diameter bearings with a 1 1/2" outside cheapies they were $8 and change for the three, mounted them to two 3x2" pieces of hardwood flooring scraps i had laying around. Just like Don said make sure you wash the grease out they move much more freely and you can feel the spine better.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Boo

Post by Boo »

TTT I want even my worst critics to be informed. :shock:

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:TTT I want even my worst critics to be informed. :shock:
oh Don I already knew! :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Are you connected to the bearing or epoxy company ? are you going to be a dealer for them? :D :D :D cabin fever here :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Masboy wrote:Are you connected to the bearing or epoxy company ? are you going to be a dealer for them? :D :D :D cabin fever here :mrgreen:
connected=bearing=epoxy=costing me money=not a farging clue what it gets me :mrgreen:
Last edited by Boo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by newbie »

Masboy wrote:Are you connected to the bearing or epoxy company ? are you going to be a dealer for them? :D :D :D cabin fever here :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: : See what you get when i drop a bag of chocolate off for you Don
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Boo

Post by Boo »

hankenhunter wrote:Don, Do you push down on the center bearing or the arrow itself?
Thanks,
Hank
On the bearing
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

What size bearings does a guy need ?
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only