Tree Stand Or Ground Blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: Tree Stand Or Ground Blind

Post by Raymond »

Both for me, but I do like the tree stands. My favorite is my homemade tower stand it keeps me warm and dry.
Raymond
frisky

Post by frisky »

Tree stand! I believe my arrows and gun shots "dig" into the earth and don't go any further. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
cspot

Post by cspot »

Both. Blinds work great in spots where there isn't a suitable tree.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
rayman

Post by rayman »

Depends on the terrain and set up. I like a solid ground blind with rock solid rails for rifle hunting long straight right-of-ways with good visibility. I have a couple of homemade platform stands for that type of set up too which are 5 by 5 with good rails all around made with 10' 4*4. The top of the 4*4 is the rail height. Cut a camo tarp into 5" wide strips to run around the sides for cover. Put a swivel seat in there and you are good to go. Very safe and spacious for taking my son, or a buddy. About $100 to $150 in materials. Most applications I use the 2-seater stands from Walmart for $115. Don't use my climbers very much any more. :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Both for me too, whatever the land requires.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Ground . . .I like to look them in the eye.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I only use ground blinds now. I think they are great as they are more comfortable and you can put a heater in it.
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Used to be a tree hunter, after back surgery I'm a ground hugger now....
Ladder's are on my no no list :(
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I prefer tree stands if possible but whatever my area needs is what i do to kill tick toters. I have used & do have my ground blind & use it. Specially if'en weather is goin to be bad & i jus have to hunt fer some reason. like get out of cabin :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I used to like tree stands back when deer never looked up as they walked down a trail.
But times have changed and so have I. The first thing the deer do is look up in the trees for anything out of the norm. Since I've gotten old I can't do tree stands any longer unless it has a stairway going up to it with hand rails on both sides,
So I hunt from good ground blinds. Makes hunting more challenging but the best thing is I don't have far to fall. :mrgreen: Success has been great, comfort is top notch and no bruises, cuts or contusions on my old body!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

I unknowingly spent a few hours in a treestand in which I outweighed the suggested usage by a good 100 lbs / 45 kg ... my choice is ground blind. :lol:

Being up high though is a blast ... definite change in perception and if your able to worth the try. I'm glad I got to experience it once.

All the best.

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use both too. I like my tree stands because I can see pretty far in all directions but if the weather is too harsh I prefer the comfort of my ground blinds. I've had good success hunting from both. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

As I get older the more I love ground hunting; ghillie suit has taken my success to a new level and when the weather turns bad, the double bull has become a close friend; I fill my tags on a regular basis and see as much game as I ever have; I truly love at the end of the day that I no longer carry a heavy stand out on my back and the need for a saftey vest is no more;

BTW, a good afternoon nap while resting against a huge oak is not bad at all........ :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I much prefer a good two man ladder stand. Im not anywhere near that wide, but i like to be comfy. You just cant beat the veiw of a tree stand. And a good ladderstand is comfortable enough to have a snooze in
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

one shot scott wrote:I much prefer a good two man ladder stand. Im not anywhere near that wide, but i like to be comfy. You just cant beat the veiw of a tree stand. And a good ladderstand is comfortable enough to have a snooze in
Yup, there is a lot to be said about an elevated view. It's my favorite part about tree stands.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string