Hunting on the Bruce Peninsula?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theboyk

Hunting on the Bruce Peninsula?

Post by theboyk »

I'm a newbie, to-be-hunter (having just attained my hunting and firearms credentials, etc.) and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on areas on the Bruce Peninsula that are "open" to the public for hunting-use?

At the moment, I'm only looking at small game (rabbit, grouse, etc.) and waterfowl, because of my inexperience (and lack of knowing anyone else who hunts), but would eventually like to move into deer and turkey hunting as well.

Thanks,
Kristin.
evaughan

Re: Hunting on the Bruce Peninsula?

Post by evaughan »

To my knowledge (and I'm from there) there isn't a stitch of crown land on the bruce peninsula. If there is any "public" land, it is privately owned and the owners allow some public use. The only example of this I know of are a couple of x-country ski clubs. The conservation areas are not open to hunting (as far as I know).

Bruce pen is not a good place to go looking for public land, up the 400/169 would be much more successful. That said, I think if you knock on some doors up the Bruce pen, you may find some accomodating land owners. Folks are pretty laid back up that way.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Yea, looks like I'm going to have to resort to some door knocking. I spend the majority of my "outdoor time" on the BP, but I don't know many people there (let alone anyone who hunts).

If anyone happens to be reading these boards, from the area, and wouldn't mind a single user on your land, drop me a line. I'm only looking for very light use.

Thanks,
k.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I should edit my response with regards to waterfowl. there are good opportunities for you to hunt some shoreline areas and rivers, especially if you have a boat to access these areas. We used to build blinds out of driftwood on some of the rocky points for ducks and geese. Also, we used to hunt a couple of the rivers heavily by boat. Talk to hunting store staff about these opportunities in particular and they may be able to point you in the right direction so you can get started without stepping on toes. :wink:
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Thanks! I'm heading up in a couple of weeks (just to do some winter repairs, etc. on our property up there [not big enough to hunt on, unfortunately, unless I'm looking for squirrel <G>]) and had planned on stopping in at one of the hunting/fishing stores I always pass and start chatting them up.

Thanks again!
Kristin.
maple

Post by maple »

Sounds like you're motivated in the right direction. Just let people know you're looking for access; friends, friends of friends, relatives, friends of relatives, strangers, funny enough, word gets around. Door-knocking is also a good idea. Find a likely looking farm and go knock. At least you may make a new friend who knows other farmers. You may be pleasantly suprised. Good luck.
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Thanks! I did get in touch with the Grey Sauble Conservation Authority and it turns out they allow hunting on a number of their property, so that'll be a good start! And I know one of the local market owners outside of Wiarton, so I'll chat him up this summer!
Thanks again!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Get your feet wet at Luther Marsh offers everything you are looking for.
Duck hunting isn't what it used to be but a great place to start and not too far away
Tenpoint Matrix
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Thanks Derrick!