1st strutter of the season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

1st strutter of the season

Post by xbowrook »

was on my way back from Sarnia yesterday.. took Hwy 40 and man i saw a ton of turkeys.. and in one flock, i saw my first strutter for 2013... he was strutting beside some hens... pretty cool to see.. :D
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
evaughan

Re: 1st strutter of the season

Post by evaughan »

Giggity..

They're really hitting the open fields this week. Still in winter flocks. Haven't seen any puffed up yet around k-w. typically they are strutting a bit around here by the end of the month. Happy scouting!
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Awesome sight to behold is it not. :)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Comes March 15th & i'll be right out there struttin with em.
I'm always amazed at a Tom's type A attitude with my decoys. Their absolutely fearless. Can't wait.
Hoagy
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Aw man ... I'm happy for you and a bit jealous. I have never seen a lot of turkeys at once, (only on TV shows).

Glad you were able to witness that sight ... must of been neat.

Now, if you can just see them again during hunting time and bag one. :)

secret

Post by secret »

Almost every time the snow melts around here I see Turkeys out Strutting!!!!! I think sometimes they want spring to get here "FASTER"
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

JT of PA wrote:.

Aw man ... I'm happy for you and a bit jealous. I have never seen a lot of turkeys at once, (only on TV shows).

Glad you were able to witness that sight ... must of been neat.

Now, if you can just see them again during hunting time and bag one. :)

biggest flock i saw yesterday was about 30 birds ( couldn't stop on the highway to count them..lol).. the 2 biggest flocks i saw , one was about 6 years ago or so, saw over 120 birds coming out of a valley... about 4 years ago, while muzzleloader hunting deer, we saw a cut corn field, literally filled with turkeys.. the whole group, ( 13 of us) stopped and watched them for a while... way too many to count, we figured there was again over 100 birds... what a sight..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice! I've been seeing the same flock in the same field for a couple weeks now on my way home from work. Won't be long now. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

This will be my first year to give it a try . My job always kept me busy during the season before but now at 60 a new venture begins ! I'm getting after them
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

I bet you will like it Mo. Be patient, it took me a good 3 seasons to feel like I really started to understand how to hunt the birds on hard-hit public land. Best advice I ever got was that the best callers are the guys who are already where the birds want to be....in other words scout hard.

I once was convinced deer season was my true love, 5 years in to turkey hunting and I have changed my mind. The excal has made deer season a much closer 2nd though!
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Thanks I'm grabbing all the advice I can !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

hillHuntR wrote:I bet you will like it Mo. Be patient, it took me a good 3 seasons to feel like I really started to understand how to hunt the birds on hard-hit public land. Best advice I ever got was that the best callers are the guys who are already where the birds want to be....in other words scout hard.

I once was convinced deer season was my true love, 5 years in to turkey hunting and I have changed my mind. The excal has made deer season a much closer 2nd though!
well put.. it took me a few years as well... this is a different ball game than deer hunting.. but you will be hooked just as deep for sure... and a tip, besides all the patience and scouting, etc etc... PRACTICE your calls.. and i mean, start now..lol.. it took me a while to not only learn to call ( not saying you don't , i am just referring to my own personal trials and tribulations here) but to call effectively and actually have it work... since then , i have done alright... i STILL remember my first bird coming in to me, a nice big 25 lbs tom... man, i love it..