Shootin' The Matrix & Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Shootin' The Matrix & Exomax

Post by IronNoggin »

So... yesterday I stuck the new target bag into the truck, and wandered down Island to hook up with my Hunting Partner and our Rancher Buddy for an afternoon of Fun. And FUN it was!

My Partner had presented the Rancher with a new "Beginner" crossbow, had purchased my Exomax, and of course I drug along the new Matrix. So all three of us had toys to try out for the first time!

A couple pictures comparing the Exomax to the Matrix:

The day before I had taken an old (large) grain bag the Rancher had provided, stuffed around 100 pounds of various rags and old clothing (carefully cutting all buttons and zippers off) into it, compressed that well, cut down the bag to size, and sewed it shut. About 2.5 feet thick by 3.5 feet square, it was a bit of a chore to move, but I was hoping it might put the brakes on the arrows launched from these Magnum Bows.

First up was the Rancher, and the bag had no problems stopping the arrows from the 165 lb bow. Nice! In fact, penetration was only about 6 inches at the 20 yard range! Didn't take much tweaking, and that bow was soon shooting bullseyes! You could literally see the confidence and enthusiasm build within the Shooter as the groups grew ever tighter! By the time he had finished at the starting distance, his tail was waggin' so hard his eyeballs were wiggling! Another Serious Convert to The Addiction!

Next up was my Partner with the bow I had tuned and used successfully for hunting last year. Took much less in the way of tweaking, and he too was putting them dead center every time! And... once again the new bag managed to stop the arrows from this 225 lb bow! Reflective of it's increased power, they buried deeper - averaging about 8-9 inches of penetration.
The look of pleasure and satisfaction on my Buddy's mug at his results was worth the price of admission alone!

Then, the new Matrix. Even with the REDDS system and cat whiskers on the custom string, it was a hint louder than the Exomax. Different type of sound though, I'd describe it as being more "Sharp" and of slightly less duration than the Max. I had worked a lot on the latter last year to dampen the sound down, and now will be looking for ways to do the same with the Matrix. It took a little more tinkering to bring the bow to dead center, which wasn't surprising as this was the first time it had been shot since assembly. But within 20 minutes or so, it too was exhibiting the Accuracy that Excalbur is famous for! And, almost to my surprise, the bag did indeed stop the arrows from this 260 pound bow well before the fletchings touched the target! They did dig deeper of course, averaging close to a foot of penetration.

We then moved successively back to 30, 40 and 50 yards. And at each station, with just a little tweaking, each of the bows soon were finding their marks! The lighter bow of course topped out at the 40 yard mark, and we didn't try to push it beyond that. Both the Exomax and the Matrix were shooting 2 inch or less groups at 30, and followed that right through to 50 with no further adjustments. The difference in speed between the two became obvious at the 50 yard mark. Even though Damn Fast, I could catch a glimpse of the arrow in flight from the Exomax. Not so for the Matrix, although arrow coloring and fading light may have contributed to that. The Matrix did though offer a noticeable decrease in flight time to target as we suspected it might.

Would have loved to move back to 60 and perhaps even beyond, but before we knew it, the evening sprung upon us, and as the light finally faded away, we collected up our equipment for the wander home.

Only managed a couple of pictures before the camera battery decided to pack it in (note to self - Check that damn battery BEFORE heading out!). I will try to gather some grouping shots from the Matrix next time out...

Here's what the Exomax did at 30 yards:

And then at 50:

There was a bit of a crosswind, so we'll have to check this one again before considering any adjustments. The Matrix shot good groups with the factory arrows, holding at around 2 inches at fifty yards, ever so slightly larger groupings than the Exomax. But the Max had the advantage of launching Custom Big John arrows specifically tuned for this bow, and as always they Really Shined in the Accuracy department. Methinks the Matrix will most likely do the same, once the exact arrow type & weight and dressing has been determined. Right looking forward to testing towards that goal over the next little while! Big John: if you're reading this, I'll soon be looking to you once again for your sage advise in this department!

All in all a VERY Pleasant way to spend an entire afternoon! The Boys and Their Toys all wandered off with Huge Grins, each noting they were Damn Happy with the results, and each enthusiastically planning for our next get-together! Soon now methinks! The ball has started rolling...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ngamokai

Re: Shootin' The Matrix & Exomax

Post by ngamokai »

Nice review mate, cheers.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

good to see the exomax is not too super-seeded in the accuracy department.
nice review.
secret

Post by secret »

Great story and Great photos!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Just packing the target bag over to my Partner's for dry storage, and realized I actually could see the print from the Matrix on the bull I was shooting at. This is a combination group from 40, then 50 yards:

Not at all a Bad Beginning methinks... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

secret wrote:Great story and Great photos!!!

x2 Thanks for sharing.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Looks like y'all had a great n fun day, shoot them Excals lookin good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

The Matrix is awesome. so compact.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Yesterday afternoon provided one of those rare moments when the sun actually burned through the clouds, and drove the rains away temporarily here on The Rock. So, my Partner and I seized the moment, grabbed the target bluff and our bows, and headed into the hills for some more shootin' FUN!

A quick check at 30 yards just to ensure they were both still on target (aYup!) then we hopped right back to where we had left off the last time out - fifty yards that is. Several quick bullseyes later, we then moved to sixty...

No adjustments required, and I was downright pleased with the results out of both!
The Matrix was Really Shining yesterday!!
Here's a picture of the Matrix' first round at 60 Yards:

The bulls on that target are four inches in diameter. Methinks that's a Dead Deer Walking each and every one!
And the Exomax performed the same.

Back to 70 yards, let's just see how far they can go with the standard scopes!

Matrix at 70 Yards:

And surprisingly, even Better at 80 Yards!

The difference between 80 and 90 yards is substantial! The Matrix, with it's lighter and shorter arrows, was dropping a fair bit more than the Exomax. Still grouping decently, but the Exomax was the Winner at this range!

Exomax at 90 Yards:

Only the second time out with that bow for my Partner! Methinks he's right getting the hang of it!
And I guess I'll have to go to a somewhat heavier arrow if I want to keep up at the extended ranges!

Also took a little time to shoot some mini-videos of the two bows being fired.
I'll post those up in just a moment...
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Exomax One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-DGIb3Wvg

Exomax Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMRd5YU4oZs

Matrix One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCeA796aZo

Matrix Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exMJBQ5VeYo

The Dreaded Dry Fire (Language Warning!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpkMjK4hsWw

Seems my Partner was just a tad excited on that particular shot! Forgot to load the bloody arrow! :shock: :lol:
Damn Lucky he was shooting an Excalibur! A serious scrutiny and we could not find any issues due to that dry fire whatsoever!
Re-strung with the Custom Boo String, and continued on with the shooting!

Stayed up on that hill until we could no longer see the arrows in the target in the diminishing light!
Heck of a FUN way to blow off an afternoon alright! :D
And already Looking Forward to the next! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

lucky :lol: those Boo strings are awesome, Me and my shooting buddy here are not going to use anything else, best made strings out there IMO. nice vids, thanks for sharing, be interested to see your results with a heavier arrow on the Matrix ...
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Nog,

Great videos and the last one created a good laugh.

Thanks for you all did so the forum could "tag along" on your afternoon shoot.

WOW !!! That background is amazing.

So much beautiful country out there. I am primarily in farm country and nowhere close to anything like what your videos show. Glad you get to experience the truly "Great Outdoors".

All the best.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

ngamokai wrote:lucky :lol: those Boo strings are awesome...
Yup, they Certainly ARE! The Matrix had one on it before I ever even Fired It!
Ordered two of course, but this one is holding up so well, methinks the second will be pining away in the bow's tool box for a spell... :lol:

Did try shooting those Custom Big John's I had him make for the Exomax, but just a couple of flights. They flew absolutely true, but a noticeable drop from where the lighter arrows were hitting out to 60 yards. Going to try them at the 80 & 90 marks next time out...
JT of PA wrote:WOW !!! That background is amazing.
So much beautiful country out there. I am primarily in farm country and nowhere close to anything like what your videos show. Glad you get to experience the truly "Great Outdoors".
Thanks for the kind words JT! Appreciated!
Kinda funny, but living here we often don't realize just how pretty the place actually is until someone mentions it...
aYup! Just like Living In A Post Card!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog
strum

Post by strum »

I watched the vids too..thanks for sharing...i think that phrase is used a lot in the dry fire situations :shock: :lol:
i was trying to hear a sound difference in the two bows...i can tell some diff but i know thats not at all what you were going for..
i think i can hear the matrix sound stop sooner but not sure..
some good shootin yal :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well done and very interesting, thanks!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.