Another Moron

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colouredchameleon

Re: Another Moron

Post by colouredchameleon »

I think this type of incident use to happen the more often then one would think.
But lately they have become more public because it kakes for good poster child for fund raising bringing in tons of money for Vèt involved.
The words alone by the Vet makes me think they maybe trying to milk this unfortinate situation for every penny.

Without knowing all the facts I will reserve judgement.
The only financail constraints is I suspect was that the owner wanted to put the dog down because the costs would have been prohibitive.
So the Vet took advantaged of the situation to take the opportunity to line their pockets rather respect the owners wishes.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

There is very likely more to this story that the media isn't reporting.

You guys might hate me for saying some of the things I'm going to say but here goes:

I love dogs. I've worked actively in dog rescue. Invested countless hours and dollars in foster dogs. However, there a few dogs in our neighbourhood I've been temped to silence at 4 a.m.. It's not their fault - they have irresponsible, ignorant owners. But I can relate to being pushed passed the point of sympathy.

This dog had jumped the owners fence - probably not the first time. If I felt a loose dog was endangering the life of my own dog or, God forbid, my child you bet I'd do something about it.

In my opinion the owner of the dog is also at fault for not making sure his dog was secure - if the fence wasn't high enough then take it out an a leash. The dog's safety is ultimately the responsibility of the owner.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
the elf

Post by the elf »

VIX CHIX---------well said.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

X2
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Number one priority when handling any weapon is up to the handler. I was taught in the military, that the same way accidents can happen, they can be prevented. Twice in my life time I've witnessed accidental shootings from guns that were said, to be unloaded. Every time I pick up any weapon, including my BB and pellet guns at home I treat them like they're loaded until I safely know they are unloaded.

Maybe I take weapon safety too serious, but I'd hate to be involved in an accidental shooting of any kind.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I feel bad for the dog and the owner. I would hate to have anything happen to any of the dogs that we've ever been fortunately enough to be owned by.

Looking at the x-ray two things raise questions:

1- Why wasn't it a pass through if it was shot at "point blank range"? What kind of a crossbow could it have been?

2- How did they get that angle? It's aligned with the dog's spine. They would have had to be pretty low to the ground - it almost looks like it is slight upward? Or was the dog jumping, or coming down a hill? Or was the shot taken out of a basement?
Ont_Excal wrote:Image
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

If the arrow was against the dog or real close, the arrow wouldn't have time to generate enough speed or energy to complete a pass through. That would be my thinking.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Dupelicate :oops:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I don't know about that - as I understand it the max speed is when the arrow leaves the string?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

looks to me like the arrow hit the dog in the chest on a downward trajectory. the dog must of been looking at the shooter. it might of been a lighter poundage bow but i am surprised the dog lasted that long. it must of missed the lungs?

i must say that there are a few cats invading my backyard. pissing on everything, fighting,pooing, making noise.... ive been tempted to let the exomax eradicate the problem but its never gonna get to that. i raised my fences instead.
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

What a shame.
Proverbs 3:5-6