New tunable bolt cutter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

New tunable bolt cutter

Post by Sloppy Does »

Bolt Cutter now comes in a tunable form so you can align the blades with the fletching. If you go to innerloc's web site it's explained in detail. I like the bolt cutter head it's built well but past 30 yards my accuracy decreased with the old ones. Do you think that aligning the the blades with the fletching will be more accurate?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
See4miles

Re: New tunable bolt cutter

Post by See4miles »

I've spent a lot of time and flung a lot of arrows looking at this issue. I see no measurable difference at all in POI.

Also, if you want to index a broadhead the easy way, just slip an o-ring between the head and shaft.
In the Wind.......
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I've recently gave some thought to this, because I use this technology in other applications. What I'm not sure about though, is where to align the vanes and blades for maximum gain. If you align the them while looking straight down the arrow, they really aren't aligned 100%. To correctly align them, you would need to calculate the vane helix, arrow length and the circumference of the arrow.

ie; if the measurement at the rear of the vane, to the front of the blade, is 45.72 cm with a 4º helix and a circumference of 27.63 mm, then the true indexing would be 1.15 mm rotated past the vane in the direction of the helix, while looking at any one vane.

Confused yet? :roll:

If you drew an imaginary line from the back of one vane to the front of the arrow following a 4º helix, it would rotate around the arrow and where the line ended at the tip of the broad head would be the true zero point. Now if you put the broad head here and looked straight down the arrow from the front to the back head on the broad head would not look like it is aligned.

Note, I used random numbers and helix, that are approximate and not specific to any particular arrow.

This is not to say it isn't beneficial, but it certainly cannot be truly aligned without these calculations. The other thing that can influence this, is the broad head is straight, with no helix, so when the arrow is spiraling, the broad head is creating dirty air and depending on the broad head placement, it can also influence arrow stability, whether it's good or bad, I have got that far in my studies yet. The other option it does allow, is you can tweak them to find the broad heads sweet spot where it may fly truest.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Very good points Taz. I have never thought that indexing made any sense from the standpoint of arrow dynamics. Indexing would also vary with the speed of the arrow and the resultant speed of the spin. The aerodynamic results would be constantly changing from the point the arrow leaves the bow to the POI.

Would love to see this in a wind tunnel.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Galgo wrote:Very good points Taz. I have never thought that indexing made any sense from the standpoint of arrow dynamics. Indexing would also vary with the speed of the arrow and the resultant speed of the spin. The aerodynamic results would be constantly changing from the point the arrow leaves the bow to the POI.

Would love to see this in a wind tunnel.
I'll ask my son if he can use the one at the College he attends.

300fps is 204 mph and the 380 would be 259 mph
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

That would be amazing. I remember seeing my first ultra slow mo of an excalibur crossbow shooting :shock: a real eye opener. I bet a wind tunnel test of an arrow "in-flight" would be the same...I would like to see how much (if any measurable) turbulence comes off a fixed blade broadhead and what effect (if any) that turbulence would have if it impacts a vane...another member also wondered out loud what effect punching a hole in vanes might have...I smell a project for yer son :wink:
F