Where to shoot crossbow in KW area?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aburkov

Where to shoot crossbow in KW area?

Post by aburkov »

I'm new to crossbows, bought an Excalibur Exocet a month ago.
My question is, where can I shoot it? I live in Kitchener, in an apartment
building, so shooting in my backyard is not an option. I've gone to Galt Sportsmen
club a few times, they said initially they'd charge $10 per day, which seemed reasonable, although not cheap. But last time they suddenly started pressuring me to buy annual membership, which is ridiculously expensive, around $400, pretty much a new Excalibur every couple of years! I don't shoot often enough to pay this much. So this is out of the question for me. I'm wondering if it's possible to find a safe legal place to shoot at my own target, for free or for a minimal charge, in the KW area? If anyone had suggestions on this, I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks a lot in advance.
NewGuy

Re: Where to shoot crossbow in KW area?

Post by NewGuy »

Try the bow shop. It's upstairs at shooters choice.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
Rogue_wave

Post by Rogue_wave »

Hi there are two places close by to shoot.Both will require you to become a member, mostly for insurance and access purposes. One is Elmira Rod and Gun, membership fee is about $175 per year. the other is Waterloo county Bowmen at arounf the same price. Waterloo county moved a couple of years ago from a awesome property due to the land being sold. I hear that the new place is quite nice as well. I think the Bow Shop has info on both Elmire Rod and Gun and waterloo county Bowmen, or you can try google.

Cheers

R/W
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Our hunting club has a policy here that it cost $5. each visit and you must be with a club member. After 5 times you must join or don't come back. Our club is $85 a year. Membership is what pays land taxes and light bills insurance ect. Don't look down on the club as most operate like that. CHEERS! and hope you find somewhere to shoot.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Also have a look at the German club out past Mannheim - it's $90/yr for a family. They have an outdoor range and a pretty nice facility. It's mostly a social club, but it's close to town and it works for us.

http://www.hubertushaus.ca/
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Wow, I never really realized that it could be such a hassle at times to shoot an archery weapon or a firearm. I guess I am very fortunate to live in a rural area on my own property and that the neighbors are far enough away and that they do not mind if I want to fire my crossbow or my firearms.
Raymond
aburkov

Post by aburkov »

Thanks a lot for responding guys, I really appreciate it.
Will check those clubs out.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

How far are you from a Rural area. Might just be easier to ask a farmer to target practise in the back 40. I see no need to join a club & pay good money if you can just head to the country & shoot all day long with-out the expense & hassle of joining a club.
Save your money for archery stuff.

Just my 2 cents!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
aburkov

Post by aburkov »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:How far are you from a Rural area. Might just be easier to ask a farmer to target practise in the back 40. I see no need to join a club & pay good money if you can just head to the country & shoot all day long with-out the expense & hassle of joining a club.
Save your money for archery stuff.

Just my 2 cents!
That's actually exactly what I had in mind, I'd rather just shoot out in the country by myself than join a club. But I have no idea how to find such a place. Do I simply drive around and knock on people's doors? Sorry for naive questions, I have no experience with this.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That's what I did in my area. Just explain what u are looking to do as far away from there house and livestock. I have a place 5 min from my house. You just have to get out there and start asking. Most farmers are ok if it's just target practise with a bow.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
aburkov

Post by aburkov »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:That's what I did in my area. Just explain what u are looking to do as far away from there house and livestock. I have a place 5 min from my house. You just have to get out there and start asking. Most farmers are ok if it's just target practise with a bow.
OK, thanks, I like your suggestion most, will try this on the coming weekend.
Hope it works, I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on memberships!
Rogue_wave

Post by Rogue_wave »

P.M. Message sent :wink:

R/W
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:That's what I did in my area. Just explain what u are looking to do as far away from there house and livestock. I have a place 5 min from my house. You just have to get out there and start asking. Most farmers are ok if it's just target practise with a bow.
Hey
When do you go out and shoot? PM me. Im looking for a around Windsor spot. Mother in Law sold the farm so, thats out.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
aburkov

Post by aburkov »

Windsor is a bit too far for me, I need something near Kitchener-Waterloo.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Even if you had a back yard, you couldn't shoot your bow in it in Kitchener. Bows fall under the classification of being a 'firearm' in the city laws and discharge of them is prohibited within city boundaries. Ask my neighbours two doors down about the police showing up at their place and the ruckus that ensued. I warned them a couple years ago (and no, I didn't call) but they continued to shoot their 3D target in the back yard anyway.

As has been stated, the Elmira Rod and Gun Club is $175.00 a year for membership, which is one of the best rates in the area for the facilities you gain access to. There is an archery range and 3D course, to go along with the 100 yard and 200 yard firearms ranges if you're into guns at all. The only hassle is that you have to attend two meetings (held every second Tuesday of the month) before obtaining membership and if you're like me, getting there on a Tuesday evening when your work hours aren't normal, your spouse's work hours aren't normal, you have kids and only one vehicle, is tough.

You might be able to obtain permission from a farmer in the area, but, if you have the same experience as I have trying to obtain permission to hunt close to home, it's going to be a tough go. Most of them will assume that you want to hunt the property as well and right outside of town, the vast majority of properties are locked up by people that have been hunting them for years or family members that hunt the properties or the farmers have had a lot of problems with slobs (I won't call them hunters) and have closed the property off to everyone.

The Bow Shop has an indoor range and charge by the hour. You could look into joining the Colby Archery Club, which is the club that operates at The Bow Shop.

Good luck.