Lubricant on top of rail / arrow groove?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheTinker

Lubricant on top of rail / arrow groove?

Post by TheTinker »

Have been wondering about this, maybe someone can help me. [...Thinking string wear and arrow velocity]
Wondering if it is beneficial to use some kind of lube? Also, the spring finger that rides the top of the arrow should benefit with a little less friction I would think.
I've seen the RAIL SNOT advertised; now that DOES sound slick and sticky doesn't it? :wink:
In the past I have used a aerosol spray silicon on various things to lessen drag. It dries, residue free and I'm going to experiment with it when the weather improves.
Has anyone investigated any of this madness :roll:
Tink
Normous

Re: Lubricant on top of rail / arrow groove?

Post by Normous »

If you are going to hunt with your M355 then I might suggest reconsidering any spray/lube that smells on your crossbow and most do, deer will turn inside out at any odd smell like that.

If your are interested in trying 3M™ Polyethylene Tape on your arrow retainer feel free to PM me your address and I will send you a sample to try. Don't bother trying to buy some because a 1" by 50' roll is $250. I have plenty. The slip coefficient is very high on the 3M product. Also, it works well in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Lastly, it has sound dampening qualities and can help dampen the sound of your arrow sliding underneith it and reduce the metalic sound of your retainer hitting the mainframe.
Last edited by Normous on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

enormous wrote:If you are going to hunt with your M355 then I might suggest reconsidering any spray/lube that smells on your crossbow and most do, deer will turn inside out at any odd smell like that.
Good point, didn't consider that reality :roll:

PM being sent -Tink
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

TheTinker wrote:Have been wondering about this, maybe someone can help me. [...Thinking string wear and arrow velocity]
Wondering if it is beneficial to use some kind of lube? Also, the spring finger that rides the top of the arrow should benefit with a little less friction I would think.
I've seen the RAIL SNOT advertised; now that DOES sound slick and sticky doesn't it? :wink:
In the past I have used a aerosol spray silicon on various things to lessen drag. It dries, residue free and I'm going to experiment with it when the weather improves.
Tink
been using jigaloo spray for over 10 years now.some say it does not make a difference but my thinking is that a slippery rail definetly cannot hurt. and i have not had any problem with oder from it once it dries. i apply it to a rag then wipe the rail when i am done hunting then its all ready to go next time i grab the bow
it also makes arrows easier to remove from targets by spraying it on the first couple inches of arrow
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Normous

Post by Normous »

Some food for thought to thinker about. Both our Vortex and Equinox have Teflon coated mainframes. This Surgical Grade Teflon by DuPont was applied by Donwell Company who are highly regarderd in the coating industry since 1957.

Teflon has a low coefficient of friction and I picked up 4-5 fps in the Equinox and 3-4 fps in the Vortex. The finish in matte black and very durable, infact, there is no wear what so ever all these years of shooting, no smell and nothing sticks to it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

i use rail snot works real good, also use string snot the wax is real soft and mallable lasts for awhile, both are scent free.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
roly

Post by roly »

I have always used the Jig-a-Loo also

Last season I started useing the Excal EZ Lube
and I really like it.

There's no smell to it and a little goes a long way,
a thin coat is all you need

It seems to work for me and did everything that they claimed.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Just a little bit of wax on the serving is all you need.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
wabi

Post by wabi »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Just a little bit of wax on the serving is all you need.
X2
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

I clean the rail with silicon sprayed on a rag. But if you get any residue on your finger after touching the rail you've left too much on. Anything more than the microscopic layer only act as a dust collector with no extra reduction of friction benefit.
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

hankenhunter wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:
TheTinker wrote:Have been wondering about this, maybe someone can help me. [...Thinking string wear and arrow velocity]
Tink
been using jigaloo spray for over 10 years now.some say it does not make a difference but my thinking is that a slippery rail definetly cannot hurt. and i have not had any problem with oder from it once it dries. i apply it to a rag then wipe the rail when i am done hunting then its all ready to go next time i grab the bow
it also makes arrows easier to remove from targets by spraying it on the first couple inches of arrow
X2 on the Jig A Loo. Smell is gone in seconds and it didn't hurt the camo paint at all. Been using it for a year and a half now with great success. :D
Hank
Been seeing a lot about Jig a Loo but I cannot seem to find it down here in the South, where are ya'll finding it?
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

it also makes arrows easier to remove from targets by spraying it on the first couple inches of arrow[/quote]
X2 on the Jig A Loo. Smell is gone in seconds and it didn't hurt the camo paint at all. Been using it for a year and a half now with great success. :D
Hank[/quote]

Been seeing a lot about Jig a Loo but I cannot seem to find it down here in the South, where are ya'll finding it?[/quote]

i find it locally at auto parts store(advance auto) and online at several sites, just do a search for jigaloo and you shud get quite a few hits
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

enormous wrote:If you are going to hunt with your M355 then I might suggest reconsidering any spray/lube that smells on your crossbow and most do, deer will turn inside out at any odd smell like that.

If your are interested in trying 3M™ Polyethylene Tape on your arrow retainer feel free to PM me your address and I will send you a sample to try. Don't bother trying to buy some because a 1" by 50' roll is $250. I have plenty. The slip coefficient is very high on the 3M product. Also, it works well in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Lastly, it has sound dampening qualities and can help dampen the sound of your arrow sliding underneith it and reduce the metalic sound of your retainer hitting the mainframe.

Norm, here's what I use. I take a Daisy Sling Shot replacement band cut it down to about 2.5" and some Hunters Specialties " No-Mar Tape ". I golf and re-grip my clubs with grip solvent, lighter fluid will work also. A little on the inside of the sling shot band and slide it on the arrow retainer. Then use the No- Mar Tape wrap it from the bottom up and trim to fit. The band is the best that I have found for killing the sound-dead. Well over 100 shots on each piece of tape.
Scott
Last edited by Onetimeonly x--> on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

Deaf jeff wrote: Been seeing a lot about Jig a Loo but I cannot seem to find it down here in the South, where are ya'll finding it?
i find it locally at auto parts store(advance auto) and online at several sites, just do a search for jigaloo and you shud get quite a few hits[/quote]

Thanks never thought about Auto Zone
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Cherokeeson wrote: Been seeing a lot about Jig a Loo but I cannot seem to find it down here in the South, where are ya'll finding it?
:idea: New product for me so went to look it up:

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php