Archery Moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

Re: Archery Moose

Post by Bunt »

Hunt it wrote:My group has arrowed at least 10 moose with Xcalibur's most of the bows were exomags. We have never had an bolt that we could find, they all blow clean through and under ground (all shot from tree stands)! Last year we bagged three bulls in two days, 2 with exomags and one with compound. Both bulls shot with xbow were 20yrd shots and boltcutter/2219 combo used. Both moose on the ground under 50yrds from shot location.

I would strongly recommend you use the 150gr boltcutter broadheads. I would not recommend a mechanical head for moose ever.
I went to the mechanical for accuracy, my crossbow didn't shoot the bolt cutters with good results. Last fall I installed luminoks and the accuracy improved, it would put arrows in the same hole shot after shot with the Rage mechanicals. Maybe the bolt was balanced better, I am reconsidering the fixed blade now. The Rage practice head is real nice for zeroing your scope and it doesn't cut up your shooting bag.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

2Bowsman wrote:TazI might be interested in trying moose hunting when would you be going and when do we have to apply for our tags?
Draw opens April 18 until May 31, I haven't made any plans yet, being it's going to be my first moose hunt. I'll need to research where to go and opening dates for Bow/Crossbow, do you have any preferences?

Oct1-6 for Bow in Southern region, section 3. WMU 48,55A,55B,57. Was last years season, I haven't found 2013 yet.

I've been informed that the moose in Eastern Ontario are thin this year too, so it might be worth some thought if they reduce the tags.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

just a heads up here guys,if you have not been applying for tags previously you will be in pool 2 for tags and you will not get a tag! we hunt wmu54 and it takes about 10 of us in pool 1 to get a tag. If you want to go way north you might just pull it off for archery
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

mr meat wrote:just a heads up here guys,if you have not been applying for tags previously you will be in pool 2 for tags and you will not get a tag! we hunt wmu54 and it takes about 10 of us in pool 1 to get a tag. If you want to go way north you might just pull it off for archery
:(

My Dad hunts way up north for this reason.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bones

Post by Bones »

Read the reg's , study the number's , Understand the pool's and how the draw's are done. It turn's out to be a strategy game. Eg. I know where we stand and what we will get this year , but for our group of 7 I'm planing for 2014.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Looks to me that their is a lot of serious bow hunters for Moose, I'm really torn as to apply for bow or gun this year.
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

I applied for a first time for a moose tag in 21A Last year for the gun hunt and Drew a bull tag... my Buddy drew a cow tag and 2 other guys that applied had a bull and a cow... we all applied as individuals..... but we didnt seen much for moose, Supposedly they are tying to thin them out in that area, to re introduce caribou, they gave away around 1500 tags for that WMU Alone....
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

The north western population is doing well, but it's a bit of a haul knowing I'm not prepared for that kind of a hunt yet. That is the place to go.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

21A is over hunted, moose numbers not good. As always the info that they are trying to thin herd in an area always goes viral after the herd's been thinned.

For pool 2 guys looking for a spot to archery hunt consider the east side of lake Nipegon area 19 I believe. Good moose numbers and not bad chances on draw. The are some good places to rent 18' -20' aluminum boats up there and you can access alot of good country if your willing to DIY.

Other advice would be to use the services of an outfitter that has tag quota.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

We hunted in 21A two years ago and only saw one cow, and she went into the freezer. We saw very little of anything, this was a little disappointing, it would have been nice to see more wildlife.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Bunt,
If you haven't already, remove the long vanes and put helical Blazer vanes on your arrows. It makes an incredible change in accuracy with all broad heads. I also agree that you should never hunt moose with expandables. I shot a Boltcutter through a wrecked car. Passthrough with no damage to the Boltcutter except for very dull blades. :lol: This is my go to broad head for bear, deer, and moose. Excal made a very good decision to pair the Boltcutters and Firebolts. JMO. :D
Hank
I'm not familiar with the helical blazer vanes can you expand on this.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Helical blazer vanes are 2" long with a higher profile. The helical comes from the fletcher you use to apply the vanes. In my case, I use the "Bolt"EZ fletcher. It puts a twist to the vane much like the twist in a rifle barrel. This imparts more spin, a bit of drag, which stabilizes the arrow more in flight. Same hole accuracy as far out as my scope will let me.( fifty yards.)
Hank
OK, so you fletch your bolts yourself. I'm not that sophisticated yet.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Quote:OK, so you fletch your bolts yourself. I'm not that sophisticated yet.
Actually it's quite easy as the fletcher does all the work for you. The only grunt work is peeling, scraping, and cleaning(called prepping) the arrow. I thought the same way as you not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised at how easy is it. Plus the help and support you get along the way on this forum is outstanding. Don't feel intimidated by your bow. On the plus side you can purchase arrows with helicals installed.
Happy fletchin,
Hank
If I wanted to fletch my own arrows, what would I need?
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Bunt where are you located in SW ont... im in the area, and i have the setup to do the blazers, if your close, youd be more then welcome to check it out.

Ryan
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I'm about 45 minute drive to Archers Nook in London, I might have to get over there next weekend and look around.