Archery Moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

Archery Moose

Post by Bunt »

I am going to apply for a Ontario bow tag for Moose this fall. Does anyone have thoughts on using a Phoenix Crossbow. I am concerned that it might be a little on the light side for an animal this size. What are your thoughts?
taz3

Re: Archery Moose

Post by taz3 »

I don't think it will be too light, as you know moose don't spook like deer, so a well placed shot will probably pass through the chest.

Where are you looking to go, I'm debating going near Algonquin, south east side.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I know nada about hunting moose...but i've read on this forum of moose being taken with the 150lb vixen. If you use a quality broadhead ( slick trick :mrgreen: ) and good shot placement at reasonable archery distances bullwinkle doesn't stand a chance!! :wink:
Good luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

taz3 wrote:I don't think it will be too light, as you know moose don't spook like deer, so a well placed shot will probably pass through the chest.

Where are you looking to go, I'm debating going near Algonquin, south east side.
I am not sure where I will apply yet. I have to do some homework on that.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

georgiaboy wrote:I know nada about hunting moose...but i've read on this forum of moose being taken with the 150lb vixen. If you use a quality broadhead ( slick trick :mrgreen: ) and good shot placement at reasonable archery distances bullwinkle doesn't stand a chance!! :wink:
Good luck
I am not familiar with slick trick, using a Rage 125gr for whitetail, they do the job but I have yet to get a pass through.
wabi

Post by wabi »

georgiaboy wrote:I know nada about hunting moose...but i've read on this forum of moose being taken with the 150lb vixen. If you use a quality broadhead ( slick trick :mrgreen: ) and good shot placement at reasonable archery distances bullwinkle doesn't stand a chance!! :wink:
Good luck

X2
wabi
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Bunt wrote:
taz3 wrote:I don't think it will be too light, as you know moose don't spook like deer, so a well placed shot will probably pass through the chest.

I am not sure where I will apply yet. I have to do some homework on that.
Ya, take some time to check, there are 3 overall sections and I know one has a lower head count this year and less tag will be given out, the further north and the more in your party the better your chance in the draw, depending if you get pool 1 or pool 2.

Good luck!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
2Bowsman

Post by 2Bowsman »

TazI might be interested in trying moose hunting when would you be going and when do we have to apply for our tags?
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

2Bowsman wrote:TazI might be interested in trying moose hunting when would you be going and when do we have to apply for our tags?
I am not sure of the dates this year the summary isn't available yet, last year the deadline was May 31.
Bones

Post by Bones »

The bull we got last year was taken with a phoenix using the old wasp boss ,blew through him at 28 yds.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

From a hunter who formerly owned a Phoenix, I can say that I would have no worries in taking a moose with that crossbow if I were you. I shot a whitetail at forty yards broad side, clean through double lung shot, cut a rib clean off on the entry wound and cut a rib clean off on the exit wound. The deer only went 40 yards and was completely dry of blood when I dressed it. I was using an Excalibur Fire Bolt arrow with an Excalibur X-Act mechanical broad head and the Excalibur Excel string. That was my first deer ever with a crossbow, it was exciting and I have never taken my guns off their racks again. I just love the challenge of hunting with an arrow and broad head.
Raymond
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Bones wrote:The bull we got last year was taken with a phoenix using the old wasp boss ,blew through him at 28 yds.
That's encouraging, I have yet to get a pass through with my Phoenix on the deer I have shot. I am shooting the Firebolts with the 125gr Rage mechanicals- deadly accurate.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Raymond wrote:From a hunter who formerly owned a Phoenix, I can say that I would have no worries in taking a moose with that crossbow if I were you. I shot a whitetail at forty yards broad side, clean through double lung shot, cut a rib clean off on the entry wound and cut a rib clean off on the exit wound. The deer only went 40 yards and was completely dry of blood when I dressed it. I was using an Excalibur Fire Bolt arrow with an Excalibur X-Act mechanical broad head and the Excalibur Excel string. That was my first deer ever with a crossbow, it was exciting and I have never taken my guns off their racks again. I just love the challenge of hunting with an arrow and broad head.
Raymond
I hear yah, but I still love my rifles.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

2Bowsman wrote:TazI might be interested in trying moose hunting when would you be going and when do we have to apply for our tags?
Not sure either I would assume it will be like last year at the end of May.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

My group has arrowed at least 10 moose with Xcalibur's most of the bows were exomags. We have never had an bolt that we could find, they all blow clean through and under ground (all shot from tree stands)! Last year we bagged three bulls in two days, 2 with exomags and one with compound. Both bulls shot with xbow were 20yrd shots and boltcutter/2219 combo used. Both moose on the ground under 50yrds from shot location.

I would strongly recommend you use the 150gr boltcutter broadheads. I would not recommend a mechanical head for moose ever.