Felt bob and polish for latch?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

Felt bob and polish for latch?

Post by JT of PA »

After polishing my latch with high grit papers should I do a finish polish with a felt-bob, some Flitz and a high speed rotary tool?

Would this be overkill or a good step to do?

Thanks,
John

Re: Felt bob and polish for latch?

Post by newbie »

I just polished mine with some paracord with some honing compound from lee valley I had for my knives. Worked great.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

JT of PA wrote:.

After polishing my latch with high grit papers should I do a finish polish with a felt-bob, some Flitz and a high speed rotary tool?

Thanks,
John
The surfaces can not be too highly polished. I can see the cracks in my teeth in mine and it functions WONDERFULLY :mrgreen:

[Just be sure you polish the right things in the right manner :wink: ]

Post by newbie »

TheTinker wrote:
JT of PA wrote:.

Thanks,
John
The surfaces can not be too highly polished. I can see the cracks in my teeth in mine and it functions WONDERFULLY :mrgreen:

[Just be sure you polish the right things in the right manner :wink: ]
Mine are just as shiny mirror like I can see Tinks teeth in them too ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

newbie wrote:Mine are just as shiny mirror like I can see Tinks teeth in them too ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
Sounds like yours are "telescope shiny" to me.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

My latch was eating my serving pretty good so I used some autosol and a hockey skate lace and polished it up. Nice and smooth, no more eaten serving
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html

The above link is to Boo's site. Once there, scroll down to the Repair of Rough Latches That Eat Servings section.

The picture there shows the crossbow in one piece ... it appears you can polish the latches on your crossbow without taking it apart.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
John

JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

I was looking at that brand also. I look forward to hearing how it works for you. Hopefully, we'll both have some SMOOOOTH latches soon. :)

I tried "shooting smooth" my latches, but after 1,000 shots my right latch hook is still tearing up my serving. No more !!! :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Anybody ever use crocus (sp) cloth. Its emery cloth but the grit is jewlers rouge.It'll make stuff shine like a new dime.I used to keep some on hand but dont have any right now. I'll look next time I am at a real paint store.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned, but, will definitely be on the look out the next time I'm out at the better stocked hardware/paint stores.

Thanks for the heads up ... it's good to learn about new products.

All the best,
John
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

flightattendant100 wrote:Anybody ever use crocus (sp) cloth. Its emery cloth but the grit is jewlers rouge.It'll make stuff shine like a new dime.I used to keep some on hand but dont have any right now. I'll look next time I am at a real paint store.
:idea: I believe crocus cloth will run about 600-800 grit. Pretty fine, but;
For comparison, Boo's website polishes from 1000 and ends at 9000 grit.
Tink
strum

Post by strum »

sombody asked about taking the trigger unit out..
you dont have too ..but if you take it out and put it in a soft jawed vise..
you can hang it in there upside down and realy see whats going on as you polish those latches..like Tink said you cant realy over polish...make em shine :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

strum wrote:sombody asked about taking the trigger unit out..
you dont have too ..but if you take it out and put it in a soft jawed vise..
you can hang it in there upside down and realy see whats going on as you polish those latches..like Tink said you cant realy over polish...make em shine :D
Call me stupid, but...

If I was going to do the job, I would do it [IMHO] correctly. [Keeping in mind, of course that you reportedly invalidate the warranty when you cut the seal strip on the trigger housing]

Polishing the hooks/latch is good for the string serving, but it ain't a "trigger job"! Polishing my hooks/latch was duck soup with the part in my hands -I cannot imagine doing as good of a job so easily by tinkering [no pun!] over the assembled crossbow.

As I see it, with a polished latch you have about 1/3 of a "tune-up" -and the string will love you for it.
But realize there is the other 2/3's remaining; -If you are not familiar with doing a trigger polish and cannot find the proper instructions, again, I would arrange for BOO to do the job. Don't tackle it yourself unless you understand how to do it correctly!

No, I'm not drumming up business for Boo :P just handing out some sage advice...

Here is a peek at what lurks inside of the housing:Image
If you are going after the latch "blind" it'll give you an idea what you are trying to accomplish...

With a complete trigger polish done correctly, you will notice a Magnificent improvement with the first shot.

If done incorrectly.. it could become a very DANGEROUS situation :roll: :oops:

Understand what you are doing before you decide to go into the trigger housing though :shock: If you decide to go ahead, open it in a closed room and into a towel to catch anything that drops or jumps out!

Enjoy
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Good to hear.

My polishing cloths are tracking to arrive early next week. I believe what you and I purchased is the same product from 3M just packaged in different ways.

I can't wait to polish the latches and see how long my serving will now last. Hopefully, no more "cuts" from the right latch. If there is, I'm breaking out the electrical tools. :lol:
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

How about a picture of one of your latch polishing jobs - finished product, please. I'm just wondering how much of it your polishing?? Just the face (whole front) or the whole latch.