check your arrows!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

check your arrows!

Post by jody5252 »

i have recently been asking for info. on cleaning and re-fletching carbon shafts, and was impressed with all the feed back that I got. my experience is very limited with carbon shafts. since I got an x-bow I started using them. (Easton power bolts) also started using them with one of my vert. bows. I was always told by other hunters/shooters to frequently flex and check your carbon arrows for cracks, gouges, etc.. well, never really gave it a thought with my x-bow arrows. bad mistake! 3 out of 12 were damaged. 2 of them had a slight bulge near the center, another one had a 1/2" crack in it! this particular arrow has only been shot, maybe 20x !! always, always check your arrows regularly... so, now this has me thinking that with the power of a x-bow, maybe I should stick with alum. arrows? which is really better to use? lets hear it, all you x-bow gurus... :P
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
JT of PA

Re: check your arrows!

Post by JT of PA »

Jody5252,

Thank You for the reminder and glad to read nothing broke and that your safe.

I was told, not suggested, TOLD to flex each arrow before shooting to see if they had any cracks or problems. So far, so good ... and its fun to see the boys I take crossbow shooting flexing the arrows before we shoot them.

Seven months in and no problems with my carbon arrows: Gold Tip or Black Eagle.

I appreciate your sharing with us ... good to remember nothing lasts forever.

All the best,
John
Last edited by JT of PA on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by newbie »

I got into a habit of flexing a touch before loading them on the deck and have heard a few crack and pop. Its a good practice to check regularly.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great reminder.

Damage can happen for a number of reasons. It can happen while removing the arrow from a target. Pull straight back, don't twist. If you need to twist, move it slightly in both directions, never bend the arrow while removing it from a target. I've learned the hard way. :oops:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't knowed if'en one is better than the other, alum & carbon. Alum. will get weak spined after you shoot it 20 or more times. I usually take 2 or 3 fer practice & leave the rest fer huntin. Carbon diff brands have diff wear as in cracks splits break split splinter. I have a few GT II left i practice wid & some 2114 & 2216 alum. same but hunt wid them. I will be trying the BLK Eagle Executioners later this yr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I made up a batch of 2215 aluminums about 3-4 years ago. Started with around 20 arrows and am down to about 6 now (loss & damage from shooting 2 at the same spot on the target :roll: ).
Never had any problems with them I didn't cause.
Got ambitious last year and made up a batch of 2216s for when the 2215s are all gone.
Aluminums do require careful "pulling" from targets, but with a Danny Miller puller there is much less chance of bending one.
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

alum for me, you guys watch flexing those carbon's with out gloves those splinters smart

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I'm curious why I don't hear more about Easton FMJ crossbow arrows. I had a bunch made up last year with fusion vanes... so far they seem very durable and shoot well. No idea how many shots they'll be good for. I would hope more than 20 though! :roll:
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I've been shooting some type of aluminum arrows for 35 years, most recently out of my Excalibur.

When researching crossbows a few years ago I decided that I wasn't going to use carbon. Having a good many 2117 and 2216 aluminum arrows already it seemed to make sense to cut those down and use them in the xbow.

I don't have to do anything special to them to get them to shoot accurately. Cut, square, install aluminum inserts & nocks, fletch, straighten and shoot. They fly great with field points or broadheads.

Never had a problem pulling them from a bag or rag target but certain types of foam targets can be hard but that's not the aluminum's fault.
I check the straightness ever so often and if they're out, I straighten them.

Who knows though, I might have to try carbons sometime to see if I'm missing something.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:alum for me, you guys watch flexing those carbon's with out gloves those splinters smart

Wes
X-2