Arrow Weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gmen

Arrow Weight

Post by Gmen »

I am new to this forum and new to crossbows. I am trying to learn as much about crossbows as I can before my new Matrix 355 arrives. I have been a bowhunter for many years. A question I have is, the specifications for the Matrix 355 shows "Arrow speeds obtained using 350 grain arrow and standard Matrix string". What does it mean 350 grain arrow? Is this total weight of arrow plus field point? My crossbow comes with Diablo bolts and 150 gr field points. To me this is probably much more than 350 grains.
Hoagy

Re: Arrow Weight

Post by Hoagy »

Hey Gmen, Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase of the Excal. The Matrix is a great bow.
The 350gr is complete with arrow head, total weight.
I can't comment on the Diablo as i haven't got my hands on one yet.
There will be several folks on the forum who shoot the Matrix & will be happy to answer your questions.
Enjoy your journey,
Hoagy
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

just weighed one of mine it was 378gr and thats with 125gr head so the 150gr should be around 403gr
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Gmen

Post by Gmen »

Great! That's what I wanted to know. What do you do if you want to shoot a lighter field point/hunting head? Do you add weights to keep the correct FOC?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well you could use a 100 or a 225 grain head. as long as you stay at or above 350 grains.
buy a scale off ebay, they are cheap and accurate and come in handy. i synchronize all my arrows to within two grains of each other. by swapping points and using small amounts of gap filler in the end knock.

if the 100 and 125 heads effect accuracy, then you might have to revert to heavier heads... trial and error.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-x-0-01g- ... bda&_uhb=1
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

hankenhunter wrote:Welcome to the forum! Brass inserts will allow you to go to 100gr. or 125 gr. broadheads.
Hank
I am looking for brass inserts myself, what size do I need? And where can I find them?
2012 Equinox
Shadow Zone w/ flip up scope covers
Fire Bolts w/ Blazer vanes
G5 Montecs
G5 SGH
S5 String Dampeners
Tac-pac
Snsarchery

Post by Snsarchery »

Re: Matrix 380

Hi guys I'm fresh to this forum...

I can say that the new Matrix 380 is wickedly fast and deadly accurate for me.
The Easton Diablo's 18" with 2" Blazers work awesome on these high speed bows with 150 grain tips. Out of the box my Matrix 380 is shooting 388 fps with these Diablo's. Now to many they will think that this setup has an extreme FOC... However I talked to the pro's at local archery shop (The Bow Shop Waterloo Ontario) and they said that the reason for the increased tip weight and higher FOC... The arrows will stabilize much better in flight with these high speed crossbows. Thus improving accuracy. I have played with many different tip weights and FOC %'s on my 2 compound bows and my crossbows. IMHO Excalibur test day in and day out all types of these characteristics that effect flight... And what they sell and recommend for their bows I strongly recommend you stick with them and test them out yourselves before spending unnecessary money on things that's not really going to improve what you already have.
I weighed my 18" Diablo's with the 150 grain tips and 2" blazers and they are 400 to 403 grains total. With a stable rest at 10, 20, 30 yards I can split arrows if I'm not careful... At 40, 50 and 60 yards I can group shots 1/4 to 1/2" apart. It's that accurate. I have also tried their 150 gr Bolt Cutter broadheads... They fly identical to the 150 field tips. I have harvested 2 deer this season already using these bolt cutters.. only thing I don't like is the small cut diameter of 1-1/8"... As the blood trails were not as I thought they'd be. But no the less they did the job and the deer were 80 yards away tops.
I've ordered the Muzzy CrossKill's in the 150 grain's and I will post again what I think of those and how they fly out of my Matrix 380. Reviews look great on those and they have a touch bigger cut diameter of 1" 3/16.
Happy hunting and shooting!!!
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I made my own 18" Easton 2219 aluminum arrows with 2" Bohning Blazer vanes using Arizona EZ Bolt Fletcher. My total weigh with 150 grain Slick Trick Xbow Magnums are 450 grains. I don't see myself ever going back to carbons. These aluminum arrows are superior accurate.The funny thing is these are Easton Gamegetter green shafts with a straightness of +/- .006 inch. I bought them 13 years ago for my Bear Brown Bear round wheel compound bow.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's