entered the trigger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

thestuz

entered the trigger

Post by thestuz »

so today, my friends equinox trigger had a malfunction and would refuse to fire. it has only had about 200 shots on it and well kept condition.
we pulled down the bow and decided to get into the trigger assembly. we found a sharp edge on the trigger piece that was digging into the aluminum housing and causing it to get stuck. we were pressed for time so we could hunt in the afternoon so we just sanded down the defect and put it all together and it worked better than ever....

so now im deciding weather or not to go into mine, polish it up and file .3mm off the trigger catch latch to reduce creep. anyone done this and have any input to share?
strum

Re: entered the trigger

Post by strum »

thestuz wrote:so now im deciding weather or not to go into mine, polish it up and file .3mm off the trigger catch latch to reduce creep. anyone done this and have any input to share?
I say "Danger Will Robinson!"
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Had a similar problem with my Equinox. The linkage piece was hanging up on my trigger assembly and not allowing me to cock the bow unless I held the trigger forward with my finger. Not easy trying to hold the trigger forward and use a rope cocker at same time. Followed advise of a knowledgeable forum member and I sanded the shoulders of the linkage screws with 1000 grit paper. Also sanded the inside of the holes in the linkage piece. Used a little grease when I put it back together.It worked great for 75 shots in a row. Put bow away for a week and then tried to shoot again. Had the same original problem again. Repeated all the above steps 2 more times. Bow would work great right after I worked on it but after it sat up for a week it would malfunction again. Got tired of screwing with it and had Boo send me a trigger that has no linkage. haven't had a problem since installing new trigger. I was told that the Equinox is the only bow that has a linkage in the trigger. I'm told that, when you lighten trigger pull on the Equinox, the linkage prevents the trigger from resetting to its forward position. Mine had been adjusted to less than 2lbs. My new trigger is by far MUCH better than the original. I can thank my friend Boo for that.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

strum wrote:
thestuz wrote:so now im deciding weather or not to go into mine, polish it up and file .3mm off the trigger catch latch to reduce creep. anyone done this and have any input to share?
i hear ya... but the excal trigger system is a very simple design.
i take it nobody has posted a pictorial on how to slightly mod them?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've never been inside my trigger unit to see whats going on in there. I'm patiently wait for the new aftermarket trigger units to become available. If you think the job of working on your trigger is doable then have at it but proceed with caution. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

A co worker recently came to me and said his Excalibur trigger was all buggererd up after he let his Ding A Ling - Nincompoop best friend talk him into a home trigger job :shock: :roll:

After I read him the Riot Act he wished he would have never listenened to DAL and came to me first.

Make sure that you have fully researched and fully understand Excalibur triggers before any trigger modification or your Excalibur will become very unsafe.

Co worker now needs a new trigger after a very serious NEAR MISS.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

thestuz wrote:so today, my friends equinox trigger had a malfunction and would refuse to fire. it has only had about 200 shots on it and well kept condition.
we pulled down the bow and decided to get into the trigger assembly. we found a sharp edge on the trigger piece that was digging into the aluminum housing and causing it to get stuck. we were pressed for time so we could hunt in the afternoon so we just sanded down the defect and put it all together and it worked better than ever....

so now im deciding weather or not to go into mine, polish it up and file .3mm off the trigger catch latch to reduce creep. anyone done this and have any input to share?
The amount of sear engagement on the Excals is for safety. They are holding from 150-260 lbs. by that amount of metal.You just cant reduce that bearing surface down to the same as a rifle that the sears hold a 10 lb spring.If you dont understand that you are asking for a disaster!!!There are a couple of options open to you. Boo does an incredible trigger job for a reasonable amount of money, and there is a new trigger about to "spring" on the market any day now .Either option is safe and produces a great trigger.Please dont endanger yourself or others by reducing the sear engagement down to next to nothing. Err on the side of caution on this one please. jmho
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

strum wrote:
X10
WRONG WAY TO GO ABOUT IT! :shock: If you pursue your expressed thoughts, prepare to buy a new trigger assembly. You 'gonna screw it up and Excal won't warranty it.

The bright side is that you can purchase a new and improved BOO/MILLER trigger assembly.
:wink: :lol:
Jus Sayin' -Tink
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

thestuz wrote:
strum wrote:
i hear ya... but the excal trigger system is a very simple design.
i take it nobody has posted a pictorial on how to slightly mod them?
:idea: ALL HIGH POLISH/ NO ALTERATION or ANGLE or CORNER CHANGES /NO SPRING CLIPPING or ENGAGEMENT SHORTENING :wink:
"That" is the secret! :mrgreen:
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Is the Boo/Miller trigger job the same as the new trigger assembly that is mentioned in this thread. And does any one know the USA price for either one of these?
Normous

Post by Normous »

rattlerun wrote:Is the Boo/Miller trigger job the same as the new trigger assembly that is mentioned in this thread. And does any one know the USA price for either one of these?
No, Trigger job and TriggerTech are different.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family