Zeroing in Matrix 355

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rattlerun

Zeroing in Matrix 355

Post by rattlerun »

As of right now, I'm shooting 18 inch GoldTip Lazer II's with 110 grain brass insets, 4 inch Duravanes, slightly offset, firenok practice nocks, and 100 grain field points. I have got it hitting dimes at 20 yards. Now I'm ready to move it out to 30 and 40 yards. If I use the 30 yard chevron on the Tact-Zone scope and I'm hitting high, do I increase or decrease the speed ring on the scope? I know I could experiment, but thought someone could start in in the correct direction.
Milan

Re: Zeroing in Matrix 355

Post by Milan »

Congrats on the bow!

rattlerun, what speed you have set on TacZone with those 18" GT laser II?

Thanks!
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

I don't have it set on any particular speed as of yet. Just looking to see if I could group. Which I can quite consistantly. I don't know the speed, so I didn't set it. Not real sure where to start at.
mowerman

Post by mowerman »

When I had the Tact Zone scope, I believe I had it set on about 330 FPS with the stock string.
As stated above: zero in at 20 yards. Back off to 40 or 50 yards - shoot from a rest of some sort. If you hit high, increase your speed. If low, turn it down a little. You should stay zeroed at 20 yards after any adjustments on speed at distance.
Anyway, the 355 is a pretty fine machine. Hope this helps -- enjoy and be safe!
Craig
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The 'speed ring' is just the variable power dial of that variable power scope. Increasing the speed ring decreases the distance between aiming points on the reticule (what you need to do), decreasing the setting increases the same point to compensate for steeper trajectory. The spacing is also affected by the weight of the arrow...and, to a much lesser degree, even the weight of the string.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!