New to me Exocet 165

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PenguinLife

New to me Exocet 165

Post by PenguinLife »

I just bought an older Excalibur Exocet 165 off ebay, and I am wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about it, I have done some research online and know it is the older version of the exocet from the 1990's with the cedar tree style cammo and Excalibur printed with bars above and below along the limb and golden brown rail, I assume it shoots 400 Gr+ 20 inch arrows, but I don't know much more than that. This is my first crossbow, I decided to give them a try as I injured my left shoulder a few years ago, and every time I think it has mostly recovered it flares back up for a few weeks / months. So what do I need to know about this crossbow, any common problems, any updates out there suggested for it, what arrows work best, etc?

thanks

p.s. I have also invested in a rope cocking device and a lightly used crankaroo as well as the last 2 Excalibur firebolt 20 inch arrows at the local archery shop.
flightattendant100

Re: New to me Exocet 165

Post by flightattendant100 »

The older carved tip Excal's are really nice bows. They balance well and feel great. Like all Excal's they shoot great.Only shortcoming is that you have to use dacron strings only!!! Danny Miller offers two choices an endless loop and a flemish.( vixenmaster on the forum also makes custom dacron flemish strings and his quality is A-1 and his prices are very reasonable as well ) Those are sweet bows, you are going to have some fun.Welcome.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the same model about a 96 & they will shoot in the 260 fps area wid 400 gr weight arrows. Is this the camo pattern ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I took my original limbs off after the 1st kill & put the mag tip limbs on. I can save the limbs bein put up & i can use the newer string material. Great Model Excal & they are getting harder to find along wid the old vixens & e'mags
Half Bubble Off BD360

PenguinLife

Post by PenguinLife »

Thanks for all the replies, the cammo pattern on the one I bought is similar, but slightly different, the individual leaves are dark instead of light.

here is a link to the ebay listing photo, I am not sure how long it will be live though

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Does the other limb say Exocet on it ? I am surprized that it has black limbs on it jus like my 96 vixen.
Half Bubble Off BD360

PenguinLife

Post by PenguinLife »

I don't know, that was the only listing photo, it will be here in a couple of days though so we will know then.

Ike
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The quiver mount bracket is the exact same camo as my 96 E'cet. Here is mine wid its original limbs
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer mainframe rail jus about looks like an E'mag color. I am wonderin what you actually have. No doubt its an Excal so its quality, but a mystery until it arrives. Boy hidy i like this
Half Bubble Off BD360

PenguinLife

Post by PenguinLife »

If UPS tracking is right it should be here Friday, so not too long of wait
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Penguin,

Your pic looks exactly like my Exocet 165 when I purchased it in the mid-1990's. Kills deer dead. I've since swapped in mag-tip limbs so that I could use a FFF string, but here are some carved-tip successes...

Last edited by ninepointer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well i have learned sumpin new then. That Excal mixed stock & limb camo as a model. Always thought the Limb assembly & stock camo or solid color were same.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Looks exactly the same as mine.

The carved tip limbs are camoed the same as the stock on the back side of the limbs and the very ends on the front sides.

Black where the pinstriping and the lettering is.

Enjoy the new bow and don't worry about the speed just shoot it and show off the harvest pictures!
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Hi. I bought my Exocet in 1997, so it is likely the same bow you describe. I have the original catalogue from that time. The specifications for the Exocet are as follows: Velocity 270 fps. Draw weight 165 lbs. Power stroke is 15 inches. Mass Weight is 6.1 lbs. Overall length is 38 inches. Arrow length- 20 inches. Arrow weight- 400 Grain Minimum. Finish- 3 colour camouflage.

If you would like, I can colour copy the catalogue and include a b/w copy of the Instruction Manual. This can be sent to you through the mail. Alternatively, it can all be scanned and then sent to your e-mail.

Let me know if you are interested. O.K.?

Regards, H.P.D.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Common problem
Damage to other arrows in the target cause you are trying to see how well your arrows group.

String will peel the skin off your thumb if you do not keep it below the barrel while shooting .

Have so much fun shooting that you forget to load an arrow into the bow.

No more tag soup at the end of the season.

Cannot blame the bow when you miss

Have to get out of bed early to go hunting cause your bow will never break down or be in the shop waiting to be repaired.

All your friends and family will want to use it during season

You will spend hours trying to improve your bow, and then more time trying to convince your self what you did made it better when there was nothing wrong with it .