Leupold or Nikon for Matrix??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Leupold or Nikon for Matrix??

Post by Hunt it »

I am wondering if any of you that have either the Cross Bones or the Bolt scopes can comment on how well they calibrate with the speed of Matrix? Arrow speed should be 355 to 365 or so.

I was holding out for the new Hawke but late summer is not a real comfy feeling when moose season is early Sept. Got to get ready and will buy one of above. Any pros or cons for either welcome. Thanks.
vixenmaster

Re: Leupold or Nikon for Matrix??

Post by vixenmaster »

Nikon won't do as its fer 305 fps, but the Redfield Revenge by Leupold. It has yardage on its crossbow scope to 60 yds! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

If you really want a ballistic reticle and speed ring then the Leupold Crossbones 2-7x33mm crossbow scope is for you. Only weighs 9.9 ounces and has a speed rings up too 425 FPS. Also the Leupold crossbones is made in the U.S.A. and of course comes with a full lifetime warranty.

Andrew
Last edited by yooper_man on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hunt it wrote:I am wondering if any of you that have either the Cross Bones or the Bolt scopes can comment on how well they calibrate with the speed of Matrix? Arrow speed should be 355 to 365 or so.

I was holding out for the new Hawke but late summer is not a real comfy feeling when moose season is early Sept. Got to get ready and will buy one of above. Any pros or cons for either welcome. Thanks.

What's wrong with a Burris, as good or better than anything you've mention so far :mrgreen:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:Nikon won't do as its fer 305 fps, but the Redfield Revenge by Leupold. It has yardage on its crossbow scope to 60 yds! :)
Mike, I've got one of the "Revenge" crossbow scopes. It has yardages to 60 all right, but my Exomax is low at 50 using the 60 yrd crosshair! I dont know what bow they figured was that much flatter shotting than an Exomax.The "Revenge" scope is bright and clear and adjusts like its supposed to but go into it knowing that a 60 yrd crosshair may not be anywhere near on at 60 yrds! All the features sound great but would be better if all was on. There is no speed ring on these so no way to adjust so I guess you just got to shoot it to find out exactly what yardage its "on".Not wanting to be a nay sayer but everybody ought to know all this before they spend money on one.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Paul i knowed most everyone of the scopes have that same problem. Wid out a speed ring you jus have run yer power up or down til they get about where you want them. The farther you shoot the faster the crossbow has to be. I have found fer that type of shootin its hard to beat the varizone
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I keep hearing talk of "speed ring", it's nothing but the power changer of a variable scope. Turning up the power decreases the distance between the aiming points on the reticule; the obverse for turning it down. The trajectory of an arrow is affected by the arrow's weight and even vane size, so it's unlikely that the point of impact will be absolutely correlated to the setting of the 'speed ring.' It may match at some set distances ( 30,40 ETC) but unlikely to be exact for all.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Thanks for input. I cannot find anything on a Burris Xbow scope??? Do they make a specific one?
Limbs and Sticks

Hunt it wrote:Thanks for input. I cannot find anything on a Burris Xbow scope??? Do they make a specific one?

Any Burris can be a xbow scope, the fullfield's won't hurt your pocket and are super scopes for the money.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Wes,

Regular rifle scopes will work but you must keep In mind that most have parralex set for 100+ yards not for close range like cross bow needs. They will work but not ideal. Nothing wrong with Burris product as I have one of their Black Diamond scopes.

I'm looking for a Cross bow specific scope. Wanted new Hawke but they are telling distributors they will be out next month and if you email Hawke they say late summer. I cannot rely on that as need to do a lot of testing/shooting for moose season Sept.
Booner

Post by Booner »

Give the Hawke xb30 a look great xbow scope.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Cossack wrote:I keep hearing talk of "speed ring", it's nothing but the power changer of a variable scope. Turning up the power decreases the distance between the aiming points on the reticule; the obverse for turning it down. The trajectory of an arrow is affected by the arrow's weight and even vane size, so it's unlikely that the point of impact will be absolutely correlated to the setting of the 'speed ring.' It may match at some set distances ( 30,40 ETC) but unlikely to be exact for all.
I get how you use the power ring on scopes to set up points for diff. distances poi. But... go to the Redfield web sight and watch the video. The revenge has a "built in range finder", and video says #1,to bracket animal and read the yardage,#2 turn scope to highest power and use the appropriate ( its marked )crosshair for that yardage.On the highest power, the yardages with my Exomax are WAY off, and not a whole lot of crossbows shoot much faster. SOO..... Just saying I dont think the scope quite fulfills what the hype claims it will do.Its still a bright clear scope.
sportsman70003

Post by sportsman70003 »

I'm going with a Leupold vx1 2-7 on a Hha optimizer..
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads
Limbs and Sticks

Hunt it wrote:Wes,

Regular rifle scopes will work but you must keep In mind that most have parralex set for 100+ yards not for close range like cross bow needs. They will work but not ideal. Nothing wrong with Burris product as I have one of their Black Diamond scopes.

I'm looking for a Cross bow specific scope. Wanted new Hawke but they are telling distributors they will be out next month and if you email Hawke they say late summer. I cannot rely on that as need to do a lot of testing/shooting for moose season Sept.

Parralex does not come into play here, I use one cross hair. my bow shoots 8'' high a ten yards and about 8'' low at fifty which puts a stick in the kill zone of any deer or moose if the shooter is right, unless shooting 3d I don't see a need for all the clutter in a scope, I also see no need for a range finder for shooting fifty yards or less, to me another waste of money just as buying a scope that says xbow scope. JMHO

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

sportsman70003 wrote:I'm going with a Leupold vx1 2-7 on a Hha optimizer..
A Leupold 2-7x33mm scope is very hard too beat and comes with full lifetime warranty if bought new or used, plus its made in the U.S.A.

I bought my lightly used Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader NWTF Edition scope with turkey reticle for $125 shipped off an auction site. See buying a Leupold doesn't have too break the bank.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's