Hog Hunting Recomendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MillBillyFamily

Hog Hunting Recomendations

Post by MillBillyFamily »

So, after watching Sabrina's videos, the girls are both game for a hog hunt. :) Short, sweet and meat in the cooler.

So now Dad's looking for recommendations:
- where to go
- what time of year
- what about night hunting?
- etc...

I've done some web searching in Georgia but really need input from the collective.
The other limiting factor will be school. Michelle hits university next year and Nicole is still in high school. Spring break/reading weeks won't line up.

Is Christmas break hunting an option? What about late summer hunts?
Thanks,
MillBilly Dad
[URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Slag_p ... 3.jpg.html]Image
Last edited by MillBillyFamily on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kd8jgu

Re: Hog Hunting Recomendations

Post by kd8jgu »

My hunting has shown there is no season for these animals.
When they find a food source they will show up until it is gone.
The only other thing I have seen change is there time is weather change.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
rayman

Post by rayman »

I would suggest looking up an aquantance of mine, Crighton Allen of www.TigerIslandHogHunts.com. His place is located close to Cedar Key, Florida. He has a modest bunk house on site, but with the girls I would recomend staying in Cedar Key http://www.cedarkey.org/. It's a family friendly environment and everything about the hunting experience is great. I took my nephew hunting with him. We got there 30 min before daylight and he took us in a buggy to a nice ground blind and gave me a radio. We waited for a good meat hog and saw at least 30 hogs. The cost is very reasonable too. Looking at about $125 per hog with cleaning, tip, and everything. You can't hardly run a feeder for that. I would figure a half day to site see in Cedar Key and a morning and afternoon hunt. :)
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Look up Mule Creek Outfitters and go to hog hunting - Texas. I've hunted with these guys and that ranch for 8yrs now. Lots of hogs archery only $150.00/day all hunting and accomodations you bring/cook your own meals no trophy fees and Javelina on ranches as well. Tell them Hunt It Dave sent you and they will look after you!
MillBillyFamily

Thanks for all the feedback. (Plus the fact that we were just in Florida last December... :? :( )
I should have probably been clearer...
Living in souther Ontario, I'd like to keep the drive to about 18 hours. This puts us into the range, heading south on I-75 or I-94, of the following states:
Gerogia
Carolinas
Virginias
Alabama
Mississipi
Arkansas
Kentucky
Missouri
(Texas and Florida are just too far away. Too bad because I have heard that the hunting is excellent.)
Also found this...
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.as ... abid=18847
Thanks again.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Hawgs is bigger in Texas :mrgreen:

Geawgia is good bet, maybe someone can put you onto outfitter there. It's 25hrs from London,Ont to ranches Mule Creek hunts in Texas.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hey Dennes, I'm not sure if I sent you this link before. This is where Dan, Mickey, David and I hog hunted in February.

http://www.wildboarridge.com/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Where we hunt here in GA is on Ft. Stewart and the rules are alot different on base than they are in towns. Here on Stewart you can kill hogs year round! During turkey season though, you can only kill them in bow only areas. Summer hunts in the south are hot later in the day, but well worth it when you knock one down. Dad and I have never done a night hunt before with hogs. So I can't help you there. Another good pointer is, hogs love the swamp bottoms because they are always cooler than the pine flats.

I am glad yall loved the video and got yall pumped to kill a hog! Can't wait to see pictures!!!
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

enormous wrote:Hey Dennes, I'm not sure if I sent you this link before. This is where Dan, Mickey, David and I hog hunted in February.

http://www.wildboarridge.com/
Google Mena. I'm 14 miles from it toward Ok, 8.5 mi to the Ar/Ok border. Toon [link] is 52 miles from me. $200 a day hog or not. He does try to put you on them. He has trophy fee's, be warned, lol. I try for a meat [sow] hog when I go usually..

He has a cabin there, real nice, don't know the prices as I'm too close to consider it, can put 3 hunters up here for free is why.

As for dates, check his calendar on site for non booked hunts, the earlier the better.

Get booked and c'mon down!! Tell Toon the xbow guy from Mena sent ya.........
"Eze 18:21"
MillBillyFamily

Sorry all. 'Puter got a bug and it's been in the shop getting cleaned up.

Thanks all for the great responses. Will start contacting outfitters and get more details. Plus we need to decide when we'll go.

Thanks again,
MillBilly Dad
rayman

Post by rayman »

Toronto to Cedar Key - 21 hours. Pretty good dig. :(