How do you gain FPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JPjunkie

How do you gain FPS

Post by JPjunkie »

Im sure theres ways to gain speed is it with strings,bolts new to crossbows but like to push the limits :!: :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Calcobrena

Re: How do you gain FPS

Post by Calcobrena »

Which crossbow are you using?
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Calcobrena wrote:Which crossbow are you using?
Matrix 380
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

lol the 380 isn't fast enough for you??? sheesh! think you might have to wait until they come out with crossbows that teleport the arrow into the deer because there's only so fast you can sling a 400gr bolt :P
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

It sort of like buying a stock automobile and sooping it up I guess its a man thing we always want faster and stronger
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

well i'm just thinking that even if you could get a few extra fps... at that speed how would you really know except with a chronograph because the deer sure can't tell the difference. :) gains would be small compared to the overall power of the 380. Even if you could get it to 390 or 400... I mean put it this way. 380fps is 259 miles per hour. 400fps is um.. 273ish miles per hour? using your car analogy I could understand if you got your stock automobile going from 80 miles per hour to 150 miles per hour (even if isn't legal to drive at those speeds anyway)

My confusion is that an extra 14 miles per hour on your arrow is about a 5.4% increase. That would be like modifying a car to go from 80mph to 84mph and spending a ton of money to drive an extra 4mph just to get an even more expensive speeding ticket. :)

I dunno. I'm just a dumb girl. LOL What's important is you have fun. Come to TN and shoot turkeys with me :)
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

generally the only way to get quick fps is to use minimum weight arrow (350 grains), veins with minimum offset and a light/non stretch string. then you could get fanatical and use special non stick lubricants on your rail.
strum

Post by strum »

arrow weight and string weight effect the speed..there are string makers on this sight that make custom flemish strings..i havent heard a report on their string speeds on the 380 but from my understanding with the matrix limbs strings arent making as much of a difference as in the past ..
i know..its a guy thing...what can we do to make fast ..faster... :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect yer Matrix at its best will get around 380 fps thats wid everything at min weight & a great tail wind behind you :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

Vixenmaster nailed it!
The 380 will push the Diablo arrows at 371-375fps with nothing done to the bow. I have seen a little higher results from some, but most will fall in that range. Most people shooting the 380 have opted for a heavier arrow for better flight, a possibly quieter shot, stiffer spine and more energy. The Diablo is about the lightest arrow you can use 350+/-grains. I am using a 417 grain arrow at 353fps. I have upgraded the string but I have not chronograghed it since the string change.
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Speed can be increased by making the arrow as light as is safe as well as the string. For example, the stock Excel string for the full sized Excals is more than 100 gr heavier than say a endless loop sting made from Angel Majesty; which is some 15 fps faster. But speed has it's liability. The arrows spine must be stiff enough to absorb the surge of the bow or accuracy suffers. And light strings are considerably noisier. Have chased speed for some time, finally settled on accuracy since even a 300 fps arrow will pass through most deer. You can't kill what you don't hit..and you can't make an arrow fast enough that a deer won't hear it's release at 40 yards. :mrgreen:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rej

Post by rej »

Cossack wrote:Speed can be increased by making the arrow as light as is safe as well as the string. For example, the stock Excel string for the full sized Excals is more than 100 gr heavier than say a endless loop sting made from Angel Majesty; which is some 15 fps faster. But speed has it's liability. The arrows spine must be stiff enough to absorb the surge of the bow or accuracy suffers. And light strings are considerably noisier. Have chased speed for some time, finally settled on accuracy since even a 300 fps arrow will pass through most deer. You can't kill what you don't hit..and you can't make an arrow fast enough that a deer won't hear it's release at 40 yards. :mrgreen:

X2. The 380 is far faster than my Vortex. I was going to get a Matrix but local suppliers did not get them right away so I spent my time learning to re-fletch, re-serve and putter with BH's and arrows. The major changes I have made are FFF string, S5 installed and soon the Dbars will be gone. I now have a quieter more accurate xbow and the learning is a lot of fun. The Matrix is new and those that own them will probably find ways to get a little more out of them. IMHO, at present, spend your time working on accuracy and honing your skills as a woodsman
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

Well the easy way is actually just to divide whatever you have in feet per second by 1.467. 5280 feet/60 minutes/60 seconds equals 1.467 (rounded). So... 5,280 feet per hour equals 1.467 feet per second. To convert mph to feet per second just convert whatever you got in mph by 1.467.

Examples:
380/1.467 = 259 mph
300mph*1.467= 440fps

So if you want an arrow that's going over 300 mph you'll need to hit about 440fps. Anywho. Easier than using a website converter if you ask me. :)
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

my 355 shoots a 380gr diablo at 343.6 fps with stock string! iam happy! :)
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen