?speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

Re: ?speed?

Post by bobcat »

im new to crossbow, but not archery or hunting by any means. and shot placement is key for sure and speed isnt everything but at the begininig of this thread we were talking speed vrs energy. But the formula for getting the ke has been stated to be speed x speed x weight / 450240.
so how can you talk about one without the other? increasing speed does increase KE correct? or am i missing something? looks like a balancing thing to me.

your speed inputs to the equation twice. the weight only once, im not arguing just looking to learn.
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I noticed many years ago that deer looked up a lot when I used ladder stands. I don't seem to get their attention as much out of hang on stands. Also, here in VA the deer seem to be a lot spookier where atv use is high. I hunt both public and private lands, and the deer on public lands seem to be more timid, because atvs are not allowed. I would love to see deer evolve into a saber-toothed predator, and start attacking atvs.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

so how can you talk about one without the other? increasing speed does increase KE correct?
The venerable Vixen, shooting a 350 gr arrow, w/ FFF string produces 58 lbs of k.e. at 40 yds. Plenty enough for a white tail deer......

You are correct, as speed goes up so does ke........
"Eze 18:21"
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

bobcat wrote:im new to crossbow, but not archery or hunting by any means. and shot placement is key for sure and speed isnt everything but at the begininig of this thread we were talking speed vrs energy. But the formula for getting the ke has been stated to be speed x speed x weight / 450240.
so how can you talk about one without the other? increasing speed does increase KE correct? or am i missing something? looks like a balancing thing to me.

your speed inputs to the equation twice. the weight only once, im not arguing just looking to learn.
Correct, any increase in speed will bump up the KE as well as adding weight to the arrow. The balance comes in having enough weight to absorb the energy from the bow without beating the bow apart or creating a rainbow trajectory with the arrow. I will never understand all the hoo ha over speed with archery equipment. Speed sells bows, there is no doubt about that. You will never hear someone come in to a archery shop and ask to shoot the slowest bow on the wall. That being said, You can take whitetails all day long with a 50 pound longbow or recurve and we are only talking 38 to 42 ft lbs of KE . I guess the better question would be "how far do you want to bury your arrow after the pass through?"
Have crossbows will travel
Foxinthehenhaus

Post by Foxinthehenhaus »

[quote="Pintail"][quote="bobcat"]i. I guess the better question would be "how far do you want to bury your arrow after the pass through?"[/quote

]
I'll let you know if I ever find my arrow from last year. :shock: :lol:
I can tell you the loss in dollars though
Arrow $12.00 + hunting tip ( $16.00 ) + Lumnock $8.00 = $36.00
Lumnocks are good to find an arrow as long as it is not covered in debris.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

kd8jgu wrote:I just sold my Ibex which was flinging at 262 fps with 486gn bolt.
It killed 10 deer and 16 hogs.
I started with bolts weighing at 400 gn
They would blow thru but did not produce great injury.

i dont know about this? i think a pass threw is a pass through. if your going through a deer without "great injury " either the broadhead sucks or your not in the right spot.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

gwhuntr wrote:I just got an Ibex. I've got a 466 gr finished arrow. According to my local bow shop's chrony it's only flingin @ 177 fps doesn't sound right.
I do have the S-5's on it & the stock string is just barely touching @ it's 1" from the end of the stock.
Is the chrony off or somethang else?

Thanx,

Greg.
Sumpin ain't right wid the chrony figure. Spect yer around the 270's area wid that weight arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

awshucks wrote:
so how can you talk about one without the other? increasing speed does increase KE correct?
The venerable Vixen, shooting a 350 gr arrow, w/ FFF string produces 58 lbs of k.e. at 40 yds. Plenty enough for a white tail deer......

You are correct, as speed goes up so does ke........
X2 to this fo sure !!!
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

Shot my Ibex thru the chrony (new battery in it) again today it came in @ 267 fps.
Thanx for all the replies.
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Is there any formula that will give me a rough estimate of FPS at various yardages based on initial FPS and arrow weight? That would be beneficial in estimating KE at different yardages.

Might be a dumb question but will lighter arrows slow down faster than heavier arrows?

I'm planning on shooting a 365 grain arrow out of my 380 which I'm estimating would be around 114ft/lbs. Wondering if I would be better to lose a little speed up front to increase KE at distance if heavier arrows do in fact carry speed better than lighter arrows at say 40 yards.

My cousin has a crono that I plan on playing around with later this month once I get my scope back.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
wathst

Post by wathst »

I am pretty sure from my physics days that maximum penetration in dependent on maximizing momentum not kinetic energy. Momentum is mass times velocity, while kinetic energy is mass times velocity times velocity. The kinetic energy formula puts too much emphasis on velocity. If you want maximum penetration multiply the weight of the arrow by the speed of the arrow with that arrow and get the biggest number that you can. Or you can just hit the right spot with almost any combination.
Matrix 380, BEE's w Lumenoks, Leupold CrossBones, TT Matrix Hunter 2.5