And...tagged out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

And...tagged out

Post by DirtyGun »

Went out this morning to a property up the road from my in-law's place where I have been told by the landowner that he wants the birds thinned out, as he has been having them show up around the silo on a regular basis by the dozens. I have been requesting permission to deer hunt this area for the past six years and the landowner has always declined, as his son-in-law hunts deer there. I only gained access to the property for turkeys by promising to help out with the coyotes and raccoons a number of years ago. However, he told me that if I help him out by taking a bird or two this year and bringing some friends and my father-in-law around to do the same, that we could talk about hunting deer again.

So, off I went to one of my favourite corners, intersecting Winter wheat and corn stubble fields, in view of four bush lots where birds roost all the time. By legal light, I had heard one lone gobble, in a far off bush lot. Everything was quiet. Even the songbirds were tight lipped. Shortly after sun up, a couple hens started to yelp softly on the roost and I answered back in kind. Not even our chatter would set off a gobble, but, where there's smoke, there's fire.

With the fields bathed in the morning light, not a gobble was heard and not a turkey was seen. I'd call every 20 minutes or so and receive no response. And then, the convoy came.

I spotted the train of black blobs come out of the bush lot across the field from my position and they immediately headed toward my new Avian X strutter (which I had placed a jake fan in) and hen decoy. Six jakes in total came scurrying right up to the strutter deke and began to jump at it, knocking it all over the place in the process.

I had already taken a jake on the 27th, only because my eldest daughter was with me and I wanted her to have the full experience of a start-to-finish turkey hunt, so I really didn't want to take a jake. But, there were six of them, right in front of me. I could probably gain points toward permission to hunt deer, today. Finish a season with two jakes? Hmmmmmmmmm....

BOOM!

16 lbs
3" beard
Nubs for spurs

Dropped in for coffee with the landowner and I have a couple stands to move in this Summer. Plus, his son-in-law and daughter moved, to Manitoba. :excite:

Season over. But, I have a couple people scheduled to get out still, so, there's still more time in the woods to be had.

Best of luck the rest of the way.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: And...tagged out

Post by Doe Master »

Congrats Ryan on the season . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D great bird!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on getting it done!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WAY TO GO Ryan! I know you'll enjoy some good meals!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on your two beauty birds !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Congrats on tagging out dirtygun!!
Persistence pays off when it comes to gaining access to private ground. It's tough to do here in my immediate area. Good job!
Hoagy