Stringing Aid Failure: Operator Error

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mcgyvermark

Stringing Aid Failure: Operator Error

Post by mcgyvermark »

When replacing a flemish string this evening, I got sloppy seating the loop in the groove on the mag tip. After letting off the pressure of the stringing aid, the loop tried squeezing past the plastic ends as it slid down the limb and the laws of physics were too much.
I was surprised that the friction was sufficient to fuse the stands of the string in the loop end where it contacted the edges of the limb.
ImageImage
Although there were some voids in the molded plastic I think that had little to do with the failure as the strain created by this situation would be too much for a perfectly molded plastic piece of this design.
Image So the lesson here is make sure the loops are seated well before releasing the stringing aid. Thankfully this didn't happen during a hunt.
Exocet
S5
TheTinker

Re: Stringing Aid Failure: Operator Error

Post by TheTinker »

DAMN! Tough lesson. Interesting how the internal casting faults exist in the injection molded fitting. IMHO this speaks volumes on using the BOO- DANNY MILLER units instead. They have the parts cut from solid stock. My Excalibur stringing aid is officially retired after seeing that -THANKS, TInk

Excalubur reps should take special interest in that failure.. :shock:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

TheTinker wrote:DAMN! Tough lesson. Interesting how the internal casting faults exist in the injection molded fitting. IMHO this speaks volumes on using the BOO- DANNY MILLER units instead. They have the parts cut from solid stock. My Excalibur stringing aid is officially retired after seeing that -THANKS, TInk

What are the BOO-DANNY MILLER units? Mine unit is different than that one, mine has a circle in the plastic piece. I have changed quite a few strings with it and have never had a problem. It is not one of the newly shaped ones.
Thank you,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

One good thing is no one got hurt so that is a big plus.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the older blue circled one & the newer Blk D shaped one. Think on my next order from Danny i will get one of his n Boo's latest Edition :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

The fact that it can happen concerns me.
When it comes to safety and error is possible then the situation needs to considered in design.

It is not this particular failure but a partail failure resulting from the same error which could weaken the plastic ( small crack ).
So the next time you use the stringing aid and have the string removed then breaks the result could be a serious injury.
The fact that the string slided down the limb in this case prevented this.
Someone else my not be so lucky
Really demonstrates that it is important to inspect the plastic end before and after every use. Even then micro fractures are hard to see.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

This is the home made aid that I use without any problems and the bowline loopknot at each end is easy to adjust for length.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)

Post by newbie »

Raymond wrote:
TheTinker wrote:DAMN! Tough lesson. Interesting how the internal casting faults exist in the injection molded fitting. IMHO this speaks volumes on using the BOO- DANNY MILLER units instead. They have the parts cut from solid stock. My Excalibur stringing aid is officially retired after seeing that -THANKS, TInk

What are the BOO-DANNY MILLER units? Mine unit is different than that one, mine has a circle in the plastic piece. I have changed quite a few strings with it and have never had a problem. It is not one of the newly shaped ones.
Thank you,
Raymond
Here they are Raymond. Strong and easy on the limbs.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Newbie beat me to it, but here are the two side by side. The Excal has tape on it to keep it from marring the prod.
Tink
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

This is the first time that I hear anything about Boo and Dan's Rope Cocker, I must have been in the hospital when they came out with this. So why are the holes shaped different? Is there a difference in the material? Who is selling Boo and Dan's new Rope Cocker and how much is it being sold for? It is new information to me so I have to ask.
Thanks,
Raymond
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Check out the one I pictured on the post "Sturdier string changer for Matrix"
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes