Frustrated

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Frustrated

Post by taz3 »

There are turkeys all over where I live, and I've spoke with 4 property owners who don't want any hunting on their property. I have even offered to help do maintenance and up keep, but they want no part of it. Their reason is, hunters or should I say poachers, are all ways leaving mess. Do they not realize legal hunters will report poachers or inform others they are not permitted to be on the land?

I really thought it would be much easier, but it is really frustrating seeing turkeys everywhere and not being able to hunt them while others are unlawfully using property and have the audacity to leave a mess.

Any advise on how to convince them to let me hunt the land? :?:

Thankfully I have secured some property to deer hunt.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
TheTinker

Re: Frustrated

Post by TheTinker »

You can come hunt turkeys on my property with a crossbow till your heart's content :wink:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Expand yer area, keep askin anyone who owns land in the area the snurkys are in. Don't give up!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

The best way by far is to network, or drive over 1/2 away from the city. You will not find anyone within 1/2 hour who doesn't already have someone hunting. My brother in laws co-worker hunts here etc. etc. I have great luck banging on doors an hour north, most farmers don't seem to care much
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
taz3

Post by taz3 »

evaughan wrote:The best way by far is to network, or drive over 1/2 away from the city. You will not find anyone within 1/2 hour who doesn't already have someone hunting. My brother in laws co-worker hunts here etc. etc. I have great luck banging on doors an hour north, most farmers don't seem to care much
I'm 40 min north of the city now and was hoping to hunt locally, knowing where all the turkey are, but I think I may have to travel further as you mentioned. They're literally right behind my backyard, but without permission to be in the field, I won't hunt there.

One farmer said the Yotes were killing his sheep and the first thing I offered was to take care of them too, but I still got a no. What has me puzzled is they're older gents too, not city folks who took over the farms.

I'll keep searching.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Try going back and having another go.
It's just like any other business.
Explain to them the advantage of having you on there property that its a win win situation,once you get one,others will follow.
Never say die.
Good luck
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Why are they called "Poachers"? Is it the mess? I mean, there were "poachers", there wouldn't be turkeys, right?
Am I reading this right?
If it is the mess, show up with a garbage bag.. We pick up bags full every year, even on land we don't hunt.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string

Post by newbie »

Pydpiper wrote:Why are they called "Poachers"? Is it the mess? I mean, there were "poachers", there wouldn't be turkeys, right?
Am I reading this right?
If it is the mess, show up with a garbage bag.. We pick up bags full every year, even on land we don't hunt.
I disagree with the if there were poachers there wouldn't be any turkeys. The land I hunt near Princeton has lots of turkey and deer and lots of poachers. Just missed catching one last weekend heard gobble gobble then boom. Went to the area I know I am the only one with permission and found the kill sight but no one there. Same with deer last fall. Someone shot a doe from my tree stand left the gut pile on my walk in trail. I shot a doe from that same stand had my choice of a dozen deer. Just cause there are poachers doesn't mean there is no game they just leave bad taste in landowners mouths for the honest folk to deal with.
Why do poachers choose the land they poach on? Due to abundant quarry.
Last edited by newbie on Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

They may mean pot hunters and calling them poachers ....they come on your land disrespect it by throwing trash down and killing anything that moves ...they will drive all over your fields and go mudding....sounds like the land owners lost respect for hunters on the count of it.

I recon poachers would fit the bill ....they hunt illegal to and they mess it up for everyone
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:oops: they give the honest hunters a bad name!!! they tick me off!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Bronzeback

Post by Bronzeback »

Take it to the next level....Buy four $ 25.00 gift cards to wherever and send them to the land owners along with a thank you card and a note thanking them for their time. Include your name and number and offer again to help in anyway possible for the privilege to hunt their property then ask again next year. Some of their answers will be different. Don't give up. Often, it's a numbers game. Getting permission is just like picking up women at a bar....If you throw enough poo against the wall, some of it is bound to stick. 8)
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Pydpiper wrote:Why are they called "Poachers"? Is it the mess? I mean, there were "poachers", there wouldn't be turkeys, right?
Am I reading this right?
The land owner referred to "them" as poachers to me and I would have to believe any person discharging a firearm without written consent from the land owner would fall under the category of poacher as written in our local bylaw. We are required to have written consent and the land owner and the said land must be larger the 10 archers. I would be more amp to say its off roaders causing grief for the land owners more so then hunters.

As for them shooting all the turkeys, even a poacher wouldn't take that risk there are easily 2 dozen birds, so half a dozen wouldn't be missed unless someone was pay attention to the head count.

As for the thoughts on offering to clean up, just because , well that's why I present the question here. I've never hunted, so I'm new to the whole concept and my Father has always hunted far enough north that he's on crown land. The suggestions are helpful and appreciated, and I certainly don't mind trying different way to win them over.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Bummer that people screwed that up for you.
Over here there is no bylaw for having to have written permission, while I can see it being benificial I can also see how it could be a pain in the butt.
As far as permission, it isn't all that hard. Don't show up in camo, be polite and honest and learn to accept rejection. Referals from existing permissions can also help, farmers can be a tight knit group.
Good luck!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string