Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mbc4

Re: String information for new members

Post by mbc4 »

thanks very informative.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

xcaliber wrote:I have been asked many questions from members looking for strings, and not really sure what they want, or need. I PM a couple new members to let them know I would post as much information as possible, and that others would add more content to help fully explain all of the designs, and options available. I am not an expert, but I do have some knowledge, most of which I have learned here, and from members of this forum. I will post a few photos to help in the process as well, and hope others will do the same.
There are basically two types of strings used on these crossbows, Flemish Twist, and Endless Loop. I like them both, and each design offers some advantages. Endless Loop strings are made from a continuous strand wrapped around posts until the desired number of strands are achieved. There is actually half of the total number on each side of the posts to make up the whole string. The ends between the posts on each end are then served with end serving to make the end loops, then the two side are brought together to form one string, and the end loops are closed to make the size loops you want that slip over your limb tips. They are staggered slightly, and served together for an equal distance on each end to make up the two ends, then the body is twisted, and served in the center.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... d.jpg.html]Image
Now, these can be made from many choices of materials. Excalibur uses Dacron which is more forgiving for all of their Mag Tip bows, and this design using DynaFlight 97 for the Matrix bows. This is probably why Excalibur put the Anti Dry Fire device on the 380, it would not survive a dry fire with the performance material string.
The Flemish Twist is made up from single strands totaling the number desired in the design. The ends are twisted into loops, then twisted back into the main string body on both ends to form one string of many strands with loops on each end. The center is then served as well. This type of string is faster on the Mag Tip bows than the factory "Dacron" endless loop string. It is slightly slower than an endless loop made from the same materials, and equal strand counts. These strings require frequent adjustments when first installed to maintain the desired brace height. Some materials require less, and stretching prior to installation, usually done by the maker will reduce this significantly, but not entirely. These strings are generally quieter and more consistent in FPS after they are shot in. There is more material in the end loops, and twists going back into the body that greatly contribute to the quieter shot, and greater strength overall.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 5.jpg.html]Image

Remember, any material can be used to make either design, and Dacron is the factory equipped material used in the endless loop design on all Mag Tip models. DynaFlight 97 is the material used in the endless loop design on the factory installed string on the Matrix series models. That string material is considered a high performance material.
The FFF "Flemish Fast Flight string sold through Excalibur is a Flemish design, made from performance materials, I am not sure however what material.
Very nice looking strings
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Excellent post, xcaliber, very informative. Still relatively new to xbows here and you answered several of my questions regarding string types and materials. Thank you!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Good info for us newbies!
Great strings by the way!
I really like my Green Bay Packer's string Dan made for my 355! Go Pack Go!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks xcaliber ! Good info ! Now a video please ! :D :D :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Dan (xcaliber) made strings for my Matrix 355 out of 36 strands of Brownell XS2 in cranberry and cedar colors. Also used Brownell 0.36 crossbow serving in black color. Dan is a great guy and make works of art that function flawlessly with superb accuracy. His serving are so tight I have yet have any wear. Additionally his prices are inexpensive and he ships fast.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Dan, your string brought me good luck along with super accuracy!
Now if only the Pack can beat Da Bears!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Riflemanz wrote:Dan, your string brought me good luck along with super accuracy!
Now if only the Pack can beat Da Bears!
They will :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
gareth

Post by gareth »

A few of us from the uk, bought dans strings & we saw an increase in arrow speed & noise reduction. Hopefully be back soon for another order for my new Xbow.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks for the info Ex, good stuff! :D
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

It would be nice to see someone come out with a string building kit. A CD and enough material and serving to make 3 strings. I would like to try this and said 3 because I would probably ruin the first one.Dont want to get into building for others,but have the satisfaction of knowing I made my own.Also a 2nd kit could be made up without the CD with just enough material to make 2 strings. I would really be interested in something like this.Maybe a rough idea of how to make a cheap jig or jigs also. Just an idea. thanks.. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: HAWK
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Here you go, the tutorial you wanted...on sale. Flemish string do not require a jig, just two nails to wind the strands around. EL's require a jig.(See Apple String Making products). Both require a string stretcher to serve the center serving properly.
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/applea ... aking.aspx
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

You can make a stretcher for under 20 dollars . your best bet would be to find a forum member close to you to so you could watch one being made .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

The book sounds good , but thought maybe a kit so a person doesnt have to purchase a bunch of maerial he/she may not use.thanks HAWK Any one on here like sell me enough material and serving to make 3 strings? Flemish and endless loop, with instructions. would be 3 for each type.
MC45

Post by MC45 »

Thanks. Very informative as I learned many things from your post that I did not know.