sights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

sights

Post by warningshot »

looking for some open sights and want to get away from a scope ...what is everyone using?....any suggestions ...my exocet has a scope...i looked on the web site and nothing ...
awshucks

Re: sights

Post by awshucks »

I've never seen 'open' sights on an xbow, but lots of peep and pin sights.

I use the standard Excal P&P for turkey hunting. You can get two ranges from it, one for the fiber optic pin and a 2nd for the post under it.

They are deadly accurate, fwiw.....
"Eze 18:21"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I use them as well
mine have extra fiber optic added so I can get three aim points

Tenpoint Matrix
Joel

Post by Joel »

I have the bad river crossbow sight on my vortex and love it.. very strong and accurate.
Attachments
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (227.09 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Have been tempted to get one but the price scares me away :o
If I had to say there is one front sight for a crossbow this would be it need to find someone who has one around here so I can try it.

Durability beats all
Joel wrote:I have the bad river crossbow sight on my vortex and love it.. very strong and accurate.
Tenpoint Matrix
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

those sights are exactly what im looking for thanks
Joel

Post by Joel »

well in Washington here we can't use scopes.. only peep/pins. I did a lot of looking and yes they are a bit on the pricey side but for what you get I think it is perfect.. they are super strong and once set on the bow dead accurate and don't budge a bit. they are a solid sight for sure and don't have to worry about bumping it against a rock slide looking for mulies, or pulling it thru the blackberries thickets for blacktails. it will not move.
just my two cents on them, for what we hunt here I thought it was the best option.
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

Thanks for the post. I have been in contact with BRO to get a sight for my matrix 355. They started production on the but they estimate 8 weeks before arrival. :(...

How is the visibility through the peep? Especially in low light?

I really am considering because of weight and simplicity.
Joel

Post by Joel »

no problems at all with it.. the peep is pretty big and allows for the low light and if you can legally hunt with electronic stuff on your bows you can use the light that is on the sight and that you will be able to see easy in low light. I have the older model that has all 4 green pins.. the new ones are different colors which i'll upgrade to soon I think. with the 4 pins and the speed of the vortex it is set for 30, 40, 50, 60. and I was concerned about not being able to adjust the pins manually for the bow speed but didn't have to.. there are all dialed in.. well the 60 is off a bit.. maybe 6" high at that distance but that out there a bit to.
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

thanks for all the info.

I been doing quite a bit of research on open sites. My first crossbow was a tenpoint and it has a two pin open sight on it. At times it was hard to see through the peep. Then the pins would tend to slip out of position due to the force of the crossbow shooting.

After doing a little more research I understand why it takes him so long to produce these. Due to varying bow speeds they would have to set-up each BRO sight based on the manufacturer speed of a specific bow. There is limited windage adjustments that can be made with the rear peep so the 4 pins need to come pretty much dead on out of the box. I am also curious how they account for the differences in arrow weight people may use, but maybe the adjustments on the rear peep can account for that.

thanks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

I have one that I cannot use anymore, if your interested. let me know...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

jody5252 wrote:I have one that I cannot use anymore, if your interested. let me know...
I would be very interested just don't know if it would fit on the Matrix 355

From what the BRO guys tell me the sight will lock into the open spaces selected in red.

What bow is it made for?

jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

xbowhardcases wrote:
jody5252 wrote:I have one that I cannot use anymore, if your interested. let me know...
I would be very interested just don't know if it would fit on the Matrix 355

From what the BRO guys tell me the sight will lock into the open spaces selected in red.

What bow is it made for?

do not think it would work on yours. the sight attaches to the dovetails. you would need a different base most likely. contact bad river to get more info.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

you can get plates with the dove tail to fit the holes marked with blue then it would work

Be sure to verify with BRO first as it will raise front sight a bit
Tenpoint Matrix
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

unfortunately those 4 black dots are not actual holes in the matrix :), just something I was looking at doing to fix a open pin sight to it. But not that excal came out with all the warranty void information on modifications I am a little hesitant to do it. I have some contacts in a machine shop, I wonder if I could get a bracket made that would all it to be mounted through the spaces highlighted in the red rectangle. I will try contacting BRO.

thanks